Why no NASIDS for RNY's?

mipo1
on 3/25/09 3:02 am - Lowell, MA
This may be a "duh" question for posters on this board but why can't RNY's take NSAIDS?  I have been on Relafen (nambumatone) for over 12 years and a RNY for 11 years.  If they took away my Relafen I would be unable to function and on narcotics for pain.   
Monique H.
on 3/25/09 3:19 am
I was told that it produces acid in the stomach that could cause ulcers.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
mipo1
on 3/25/09 4:44 am - Lowell, MA
Hummmmm maybe thats why I still have GERD...no ulcers though thank heaven
PekinSal
on 3/25/09 4:57 am - UK
I think NSAIDs can sometimes cause stomach ulcers, which then bleed. Once you've had RNY you are left with a portion of your 'old' stomach that doesnt have an opening anymore. The docs are therefore unable to look inside it and check for ulcers without opening you up surgically.

DS revision from failed lapband

beth75
on 3/25/09 11:14 am - Brownsboro, AL
Your pouch is more sensitive and more likely to develop ulcers even without the taking of NSAIDs whi*****rease your risk of ulcer formation.  I developed two ulcers in my pouch without taking NSAIDs.  No bleeding, but they were painful.
Beth75           Slow and Steady wins the race!     
  Open Revision RNY to DS  AT GOAL  I LOVE MY DS

LosingSally
on 3/25/09 2:55 pm
People do use NSAIDS after RNY. Some have experienced problems with it. Obviously some don't.
If you would have had problems it would have happened by now.
DrHusted
on 3/26/09 11:04 am - Phoenix, AZ
LosingSally hit the nail on the head. Although certain NSAIDS are known to cause irritation in a stomach already predisposed to ulcers as a result of RNY, if you have done well with them for this many years, they will most likely be of no ill consequence from now on. They have - in your indiidual situation - passed the test of time.

John D Husted, MD
Dr. John Husted

DISCLAIMER:  I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines.  Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!
RNintrng
on 5/21/09 8:05 pm
Hi, I had the RNY 5 years ago, and I also take NSAIDS for my OA.  I found out a couple of months ago that I also now have 8 separate ulcers, all of which are around the stoma and other "new" connections created by the RNY.  The worst part is that the NSAIDS had to be stopped, so pain is much greater, and the meds for the ulcers are not working - so, now I am in danger of having to have a revision of the RNY to a Duodenal Switch.  Ulcers are nothing to mess around with.  Just be aware of any new sensations in the upper abdomen, nausea, vomiting, especially new pain between meals and any burning sensations.  These are better caught early before additional surgery is medically necessary!    I was told once the ulcers are taken care of, I can return to the NSAIDS, but just need to be monitored more closely.
Most Active