lap band to RNY recovery

Kim E.
on 3/22/09 12:29 pm - VA
for those who have had revision from lap band to RNY - please tell me about your recovery.  how did you do with the added port beig remvoed and you healing time frame. I am having it all done at once. Thank You !
Kim 

Lap Band March 2007- SW = 310
DS - 4/24/09 - SW = 255
CW = 175
GW = 160
Colon Cancer Survivor and Obesity Survivor - Can't do much better then that !!  ENJOY !!!

demented_kitten
on 3/22/09 5:23 pm - Roy, WA
Compared to my lap-band, it felt very similiar (from what I remember). The place where the port was located was a little more sore than everything else. I healed pretty well though over-all :) hope that helps.
cuppyb
on 3/22/09 8:24 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I was quite surprised how smooth my healing was.  The area where the port was definately was much more sensative than anything else, and a little tender near the area my drain was but nothing major.  I was able to sleep in my own bed from the first day I came home and was back to work in 2 1/2 weeks. 

Good luck. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Anneff36
on 3/22/09 10:28 pm - cedar park, TX
 The pain over the port sight was the greatest. I was pain free much faster than with my orginial Lap band but it might of been because of the medication ball they gave me. I was pain free in about 5 days but my biggest issue was being really tired and weak a lot of the time. At 3 weeks out, i got a B-12 shot that did wonders. 

jillagin2000
on 3/23/09 3:20 am
Ditto to the above posts - I'm almost 7 weeks out - started back to the gym (gently) at 4 weeks and am back riding my horse this week.  I had some adhesions or something under a couple of my incisions but a few extra days with the pain meds and some rest and it was all good - no problems now.

310/285/164/145
Highest/Surgery #1/Current/GOAL

htc
on 3/23/09 4:00 am - Charlestown, MA
I need to ask you, I didn't have "RNY" (what is that?) I had a lap band, I'm three yrs out, and still as big as I was. This didn't work to good for me. I can eat a lot. My dr. scared me into having it
tightened anymore. So did you go from a band to a gastric by pass? And if you did, how are you doing?
RNY is a form of Gastric Bypass.  It is the most used GB procedure these days.  I am a bandster who is revising to an RNY after 5 years.  My suggestion to you is to get another surgeons advice if yours will not listen to you.  If you are not comfortable with what he is telling you seek a second opinion and do lots of research on ALL the procedures out there. 

Most are able to revise from the band to another surgery.  However, you must work YOUR tool.  I am not in any means suggesting that your surgeon is wrong but it scares me when someone says they fell the surgeon scared them into something.

The other side, I have found that I needed the malabsorption from the bypass or DS more than the restrictive part that the band provides. 

I am so disappointed that I was knocking my head against the wall for over 3 years to find out I was never a good candidate for that surgery because of my metabolism and bosy not so much my head!

Terri D.
Certified Life Coach with Specialization in Weightloss and Bariatrics
Working towards Bachelors in Exercise Science with specialation in Bariatrics
Revision to Gastric 4/9/2009 from Lapband

At goal at 7 months.... thanks to lifestyle change, exercise, & an acai berry drink.  Inflamation in body-Gone, Headaches- Gone

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9LYB37/">
 _fcksavedurl=http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w9LYB37/weight.png">>

htc
on 4/1/09 12:39 am - Charlestown, MA

Terri,
   Will your insurance pay for a revision? OR do you know if anyone has had a problem with their insurance paying for a revision? I lost about 30 lbs right after my band, its been three years and I'm sure now I have gained it all back. (I look like I did)  I feel I can eat, so I'm going back to him to talk about a RNY. I feel I need the malabsorption too. Is there a test they can take for that?  My
headaches & backaches are back and I just don't feel good about myself, healthwise and mindwise.

HS

I did just get approved (yesterday) for the revision and my surgery date is next Thursday!  Woo Hoo!  There is a test that can check for mettabolism, etc.  Dont know about others having problems with insurance.  Maybe someone else can answer that part.

Terri

Terri D.
Certified Life Coach with Specialization in Weightloss and Bariatrics
Working towards Bachelors in Exercise Science with specialation in Bariatrics
Revision to Gastric 4/9/2009 from Lapband

At goal at 7 months.... thanks to lifestyle change, exercise, & an acai berry drink.  Inflamation in body-Gone, Headaches- Gone

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9LYB37/">
 _fcksavedurl=http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w9LYB37/weight.png">>

htc
on 4/1/09 8:42 pm - Charlestown, MA

Thanks Terri, for your reply, I'm going to go for it. (revision) If I get it great, but we'll see...........

HS

Most Active