band to rny-when does it need to be done seperately??

nicole K.
on 3/19/09 1:20 am - brick, NJ
hey all, im having revision from band to bypass in april.  it is SUPPOSE to be all one surgery, the band out and the bypass done all at the same time.  yesterday whne i had my endoscopy the doctor said that sometimes it has to be done in "stages", meaning they would take out the band, then do the bypass.  why would i want to have 2 surgeries???  anyone have any experience with this?  thanks 
brandyII
on 3/19/09 2:24 am
Hi,

I myself am waiting for approval to get the RNY and already had my lap band removed five months ago.  This was by choice as I wasn't ready for a revision at that time.  But what I've heard is there could be some healing that needs to take place if your band has caused you some problems.  That's just  from what I've read on other posts.  Good luck to you, brandyII.

(deactivated member)
on 3/19/09 12:29 pm - NJ
On March 19, 2009 at 8:20 AM Pacific Time, nicole K. wrote:
hey all, im having revision from band to bypass in april.  it is SUPPOSE to be all one surgery, the band out and the bypass done all at the same time.  yesterday whne i had my endoscopy the doctor said that sometimes it has to be done in "stages", meaning they would take out the band, then do the bypass.  why would i want to have 2 surgeries???  anyone have any experience with this?  thanks 
I am living it now.  

I had my band out on March 3 and go for my RNY on April 6th.  My surgeon will not do it in one surgery because my stomach needed to heal from the reflux.

Is that why your band is coming out?
MARCIAM
on 3/19/09 2:56 pm - Sayville, NY
I also had a month between my band removal and my RNY.  I had the band out in August and then the RNY in September.  This was done to let my stomach heal as well.  I also had reflux and needed for my stomach to heal...

Good luck with your revision
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

lilnena
on 3/20/09 7:26 am, edited 3/20/09 7:38 am - Amsterdam, NY
I believe this depends on the surgeon. Mine would only do it in 2 stages. He removed the band 1/5/09, and then did the revision to RNY on 2/23/09. He said he likes to have the stomach return to its original shape and allow time to heal in between.
So far so good - 25 days later I'm down 23 lbs :)
edistogirl2602
on 3/21/09 8:54 am
I had my band out and my RNY on the same day (3/9/09). My doc was concerned that the stomach that was around the band wouldn't lay back down enough to make a good pouch. It did though. The only reason he told me for doing it separately is if you have an erosion, but everyone is different. My surgery took a little longer but all is well and I'm doing great. Monday will be 2 weeks post-op. Good luck and I hope you can have it done all at once.
mvpo8961
on 3/22/09 2:49 pm
Doctor's choice and patient's needs.

I just had revision from LB to RNY on March 12th.  Fortunately, I was able to do all in one surgery.

No problems so far.

I had almost no scar tissue/adhesions from the LB.

M
Most Active