What all of the drama has done for me !!!!!!!

runnergirl
on 3/18/09 5:22 am - Canada
 Sheri, sorry to hear about all you have been going through, give it time and try to relax as best you can( yeah easier said than done) Don't start worrying about surgery choices , just focus on getting better. I think you might be experiencing what most of us do, buyer remorse with good reason after all you have been through, it will past. It just takes time to wrap your head and body around all the changes.If only they could get a handle on the infection issues then you could move on to a normal post op life. Keep us posted and take care of you.

Heather
SheriAZ
on 3/19/09 1:59 am
Seeing where you are from brought back so many memories for me. I had family from Lethbridge. When I was about 12 I went to a rodeo there and I remember that they raffled off a huge block of gold. What we wouldn't give for that in today's economy. I am feeling better each day except for the bathroom issue of course and the consequences of that.....just let me say its been a pain in the butt. I try to boost my energy levels any way possible. Thanks again for the memories.

Sheri
shele
on 3/18/09 5:49 am
I am sorry for all your troubles, I am having the same surgery on Monday. Hang in there!
You can do this!  Give your body time to heal, fill it with vitamins and protein! I can't hurt, right?
Keep posting your progress.
Good Luck!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

pepsi98
on 3/18/09 7:01 am - Norwich, CT
On March 18, 2009 at 9:22 AM Pacific Time, SheriAZ wrote:
I had surgery in Dec. I will not mention my surgeon since at this point it doesn't matter. I was so excited to finally have hope again. I have been overweight all my life. My first surgery was in 2001. The typical RNY....a failure to say the least. So I went looking for help. I thought it was me. Then my PCP told me to find out about a revision and I called a clinic in CA but my insurance would not cover me there. I called a clinic in Phoenix, one out of the phone book. I had an appointment. Went to see the Dr. Had hope. The Dr. nurse told me that I could find support and wonderful people on Obesity Help and I really thought I did. I had surgery and I had complications. An infection of the incision site that was one of the worst experiences of my life. Last week I finally got rid of the wound vac and what a relief that was. Three infections later there are days that I don't know if I would do this again....still don't know if its the infections or the surgery. I am in the bathroom on an average of 8 times a day. The antibiotics are rough on my system and every time I have an infection I have to try something new. I do not do carbs. I have not had fruit yet since surgery. I stick with proteins. So my best guess is that the antibiotics are causing the loose stools. Sometimes I make it to the bathroom and sometimes I don't. I really wish I could come on here for a shoulder to cry on. I wish someone would say it will be better. Instead all of this makes me wonder if I made a mistake and that because I had an ERNY instead of a DS I will lose 50 lbs. and gain it all back and be miserable again. Who do I go to if not here? No one else understands this. I wanted this to work but now I don't know. I have not heard one positive comment about the surgery that I had or the surgeon that did it lately just horrible stories. I have gone through hell since Dec. and all I want is some support. I'm sorry that so many people are so bitter but please don't make the rest of us regret our decisions be supportive, please.
Sheri,
My heart broke as I read your post.

I am so sorry you're going through such a hard time... You know we all make the best decision we can at the time and if we had the benefit of hindsight, we'd never have any experiences that challenge us or help us grow through adversity.

Please don't spend a moment living in regret... it is pointless.  All you can do is go forward and be positive that no experience in life is ever wasted. 

Are you taking probiotics?  These are capsules you can buy in a GNC or other health store and have to refridgerate.  They are full of healthy microorganisms whi*****rease the good flora in your colon that gets wiped out by antibiotics, and help to restore that balance between good and bad flora.

Please know that I will be thinking about you...my son is studying to be a dietician so feel free to PM me if I can be of any help.

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

StacysMom
on 3/18/09 8:13 am
 Sheri,  

Thank you for being honest about your surgical outcome and results.    I disagree with what some of the others have said.  I think it is important to be honest about what has happened since your surgery (the good things as well as the bad), so that others aren't misled into thinking it's all "roses and lollipops" like so many have led us to believe.  One can still give support for a person, while at the same time being concerned about their surgical outcome.    It's the same as hating the war we are in, yet supporting our troops.  I am sorry to hear that you have been so sick.    But, I am glad that you are telling people about it so that they will hear that this surgery is no "walk in the park".    I can understand your being discouraged at seeing that some people have only lost around 50 lbs with this surgery, but maybe you will do better.   I hope so.   Please continue posting the truth.   It will make you feel better to "pay it forward" for others considering the same thing.  

I also remember that you were one of the patients who thought she had been give the RNY to DS conversion, when it was really just an extension of the RNY, the ERNY.    You posted a message to another potential revisioner about it and then were corrected by one of the DS people who happened to be reading the board.   While I am concerned about your health, I am also concerned that you were misled into thinking that you got a different surgery than you were expecting.   And, you were not the only one.    I know none of that matters now.   You got whatever you got and the main concern now is for you to recover and get well and healthy.

What does the doctor have to say about all this?  Is there something he can do?   Have you gotten a second opinion?
SheriAZ
on 3/18/09 8:36 am
I know how you all feel about Dr S but he was a huge help to me when all this happened. I was able to get to him by phone on my way to the emergency room Christmas morning and stayed in touch with me and the ER through it all and believe me when I say I would not say this if it were not the truth. I am in Yuma which is 3 hours away and will see him again in another week so we will see what he says then but I stay in touch by phone. Most of my problems are being handled by the wound care center here and my PCP right now. If infections continue then I will have to go to the infection control center to see what's going on. So that's where I am at right now.
shele
on 3/18/09 8:44 am
Sheri,
I am in no way trying to minimize what you have been through.
That said, I have a friend that has had some surgeries on his back, and has had to have a wound vac and an infectious disease Dr. 
It happens with all kinds of surgeries, not just wls.
It sounds like you are comfortable with the care you are receiving from Dr. S.  that is very good, you don't need the added stress of not being tended to properly!
Confidence in your provider is huge to me!
I hope to see you doing better really soon!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

SheriAZ
on 3/19/09 1:42 am
Thank you so much for your kindness. I realize that many people have had surgery problems and have had wound vacs. They are a pain. I am so glad that mine is gone. I saw my Dr. last night and the wound is coming along nicely. It was just more to handle at a time when I just wanted to concentrate on the weight issue. Plus work which can be trying when you teach High School. Again thank you.
Deanne K.
on 3/18/09 10:27 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Sheri,
I have a friend in Yuma that has struggled with her lapband and travels back and forth to Tucson to be filled and unfilled.  She is looking for support in Yuma.  I don't know how many people are in Yuma that have had surgery, but if you want her email, please PM me and I will send it to you.  I would make sure it's ok with her first.

Thanks for continuing to tell your story.  If I can help, let me know.
Deanne
SheriAZ
on 3/19/09 1:31 am
Deanne, I would love to get in touch with your friend. There are several people here in Yuma who have had one surgery or another. I am not sure what you mean by PM.....I see that all of the time. I am not too good with this sight. I get messages to add people as friends and still don't know how to do that either. I have pictures but keep trying to get that in the little square and it doesn't work. Thank god I'm an awesome chef I would never make it in an office.
Most Active