RNY to DS: One Year Later . . .

Ms S.
on 3/17/09 5:00 pm
This was originally posted on the DS Board butI thought I'd also post this on the Revision board since this is where I was when I first realized I was gonna need a revision and wanted to share with you. 

My RNY low was 221 lbs (Dr recorded 246 - go figure).  My highest POST RNY weight? 311 lbs 9yrs later. On my own, lost from 311 to 286 with major diet and extreme exercise.  03/13/08 RNY to DS conversion at 286 lbs.

03/13/09: 169 lbs. . .SO FAR!  Not done yet but what an exciting year.  At first it was a doozy. Recovery was really really hard. Prolly cuz I'm getting old but I swear surgery never took me out like this one did.  My saving grace was that I knew I made a lifesaving decision and that I was in the hands of a skilled surgeon and his team. I am alive and breathing. My apnea gone, my aches and pains - gone, my energy is through the roof.  

I could be at goal now yes, but I am sooooo not complaining. I've had a great time finding out what I can and cannot get away with and how my body operates. I've discovered that all those years of dieting took a toll on my metabolism but the last few stints with low carb really did make a positive difference from 'diet' to 'lifestyle' mindset.  Problem is, I feel guilty when I have rice or pasta - but I do anyway. Yes, this has definitely slowed my weight loss but come on: I've lost 117lbs eating like this! Are you kidding me?

I can't wait to see where I'll be in the next six months. I hope to make my goal by then, and yes, I likely will but hey, if I could do my plastics now, I wouldn't care if I stayed here. I think I look as good as I feel (except for the acne thats ravaging my face. What is that about anyway?) What an opportunity at a second chance at life. The RNY to DS surgery was a tough recovery yes, but the benefits and the lifestyle are undeniable!

I am at the far left. This was taken about 3days preop. . .5' 2",  286lbs

This is me a few days ago. . .5'2", 169lbs

StacysMom
on 3/17/09 5:08 pm
 Congratulations!  You look wonderful and are feeling great too!  I'm glad that you hopped on here to tell us all about your progress.   So many doctors around the country who do not perform the DS, tell RNY patients that it is impossible or dangerous for them to convert to the DS.   Nice to see living proof that the doctors are wrong!   And, cute pictures too!
pepsi98
on 3/17/09 7:33 pm - Norwich, CT
You look amazing...I'm so happy for you!!!  Do you have any of the odor issues others have reported?

Great job!!!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Ms S.
on 3/19/09 5:52 pm
I've had my moments but to be honest with you, my bathroom never did smell like cherries after I pooped so it's really not that much of a shock. Any odor issues would be directly related to what I may eat - as much so as someone who's never had WLS.  Example, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, etc, all had a horrifying effect on 'odor' issues when I was a WLS virgin. Now, they still wreak havoc on the bathroom.  In my experience, it's rather controllable.  Besides, I'd take the potty odor over the comorbids I had anyday!  Plus, I can simply spray them away!

Ms S.
on 3/19/09 5:47 pm
You are sooo right about the Dr's; the RNY to DS absolutely can be (and in my opinion SHOULD be done) however there are few seasoned physicians with expertise, not only in the conversions but in the DS itself. And thanks for the compliment on the pics. . . I used to extend my neck to make it visible in pics (at 300+ lbs it's hard to see a neck). Now I have a neck  but when I take pics, I still stretch it out of habit. I look like a giraffe!!

shele
on 3/17/09 9:44 pm
Wow! You look great!
Congrats on your success and new found health!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

JROLFSON
on 3/18/09 2:18 am - St. George, UT

JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW WE ARE ALL CLAPPING FOR YOU OUT HERE....GREAT JOB!!!!

YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!

JANIE
Monique H.
on 3/18/09 2:59 am
You go girl!!! Look at that smile, I know you are so happy. I'm so jealous right now, because I so wish I could have had the ds. Anyway Congratulations and keep up the good work.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Zee Starrlite
on 3/18/09 4:41 am
Sharon,

You look amazing!!!  So glad that your revision to the DS worked for you.

Much Love, Peace, Harmony, & Health,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

MARCIAM
on 3/18/09 3:39 pm - Sayville, NY
Congratulations! You look fantastic!
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

Most Active