Old stapling to RNY

DrHusted
on 3/20/09 4:40 am - Phoenix, AZ
It sounds like you had a Vertically Banded Gastroplasty with marlex mesh, aka, a marlex VBG. These can revised to RNY, vertical/sleeve gastrectomy, or BPD/DS. My preference has been - unless the outlet is too small - to leave the mesh in at the end of the RNY pouch to create, essentially, a Fobi-like procedure. It is also not  necessary to remove the mesh with vertical/sleeve and DS revisions. I myself use a technique of dividing the mesh ring along the septum inside the stomach to reconstruct the gastric sleeve, which is done laparoscopically. I have heard of so many problems related to trying to peel the mesh away from the stomach in attempts to remove it, and this is simply not necessary at all.

John D Husted, MD
Forum Contributor
Dr. John Husted

DISCLAIMER:  I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines.  Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!
Kathy H.
on 3/20/09 2:11 pm - Kent, WA
Charlene-

I was stapled and banded with mesh about the same time you were .... 22 years ago. I'm preparing for a revision to a DS. I've been told by several surgeons that it absolutely IS possible. You must must MUST choose your surgeon carefully, though.

I would suggest checking into the DS - post some questions on the DS forum board, and you'll get some good information.

the best of luck to you!

Kathy

ps... feel free to PM me, if you'd like.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

CharleneP
on 3/20/09 11:30 pm - Canada
I have thought about a DS, but in Canada I don't meet the strict criteria for one...You have to have
a BMI of over 50.   I'm 46.6   close. and the way I've been eating lately could meet it,, LOL
The more I'm reading these days, the more uncertain I am about the surgery.  I was scared the first time around, but even more this time because I have children.

I am having a consult on Friday with Dr Poplawski at the Barix Clinic in Michigan.. Have you heard of him?

Thanks
Charlene
Kathy H.
on 3/21/09 2:29 am - Kent, WA
........... either gain weight or lose height. Remove your shoes and socks .. exfoliate the soles of your feet.... .... slouch a bit.

I've not heard of Poplawski. I know a lot of Canadians use Dr. Lutrzykowski in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. A word of warning: if Dr Poplawski isn't trained in the DS, he may give you lots of misinformation about the procedure - just an FYI. Someone likened it to going to a Ford dealership to ask for advice on buying a Honda. You're going to hear nothing but bad stuff - and 90% of it won't be accurate.

Majoy surgery *should* be scary. In my mind, surgery should be considered and is fully justified if NOT having surgery poses an even higher risk than the surgery itself. It's a big decision. You don't want to ru**** In my case, my comorbidities (apnea, arthritis and pre-diabetes) are going to ... at best ... land me in a wheelchair in another five years. I want the surgery now while these are my ONLY co-morbids. The risk of surgery will only increase in a few years when diabetes and hypertension enter the picture. And I know they *will* enter the picture.

But if you're seriously thinking about it, I cannot stress enough how very important it is to do your own research, and make up your own mind about which surgery you can live with for the rest of your life. See if you can find some support groups to go to in your area. Post on the local OH forum for your area, post on the DS board... "Looking for a support group in my area" and then name the area in your subject line.

Become informed. Ask questions, read, and then ask some more questions. This website has been invaluable to me:

http://www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeo ns.html#mi

Good luck!

Kathy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Dreema A.
on 3/21/09 12:57 pm - Palm Coast, FL
On Nov 4, 2008 I had a revision from a 1979 stomach stapling.  At that time my stomach was stapled straight across and no bowel work was done.  In 2008 I became very ill.  Could not drink or eat, stayed in the ER with IV's for fluid most of the time.  The Bottom line is, I found a great doctor, he removed 60% of my stomach because of scar tissue,a hital hernia, and preformed a RYN laproscopically.  The surgery took a little longer than expected but had surgery on Monday and went home on Wednesday, like a new women.  If anyone has any question... feel free to contact me.  I attempt to keep my blog up to date.
Most Active