Old stapling to RNY

CharleneP
on 3/17/09 12:20 pm - Canada
I have posted here before about going for a revision from an OLD stapling 22 years ago to an RNY.... I had some responses suggesting that if possible get my surgical notes to see if my
surgeon used a mesh around the stomach, because if so,, the revision might be impossible.

WELL!!  I got the notes, and yes.. he did...
What does everyone think???  Has anyone had a revision with this mesh??

I'm pretty down right now thinking, that I might not be able to have the surgery.. I have my consult with Dr Pop, in the Barix clinic next friday..

Thanks so much for any feedback

Charlene
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/09 1:23 pm - AZ
On March 17, 2009 at 7:20 PM Pacific Time, CharleneP wrote:
I have posted here before about going for a revision from an OLD stapling 22 years ago to an RNY.... I had some responses suggesting that if possible get my surgical notes to see if my
surgeon used a mesh around the stomach, because if so,, the revision might be impossible.

I'm pretty down right now thinking, that I might not be able to have the surgery.. I have my consult with Dr Pop, in the Barix clinic next friday..

Charlene

It is entirely possible but you need to know that it puts you at a much greater risk for a leak so you just have to go to the best of the best revision surgeons out there.

JROLFSON
on 3/18/09 2:41 am - St. George, UT

Charlene:

Yes, I had a stapling with mesh and revised to RNY. My stapling was in 1979 and revised to RNY in 1989.

My surgeon was Dr. Richard Caitlin in San Diego, CA. The stapling for me was horrible, I lost all the weight but had constant nausea and vomitting for over 6 mths. Never ate anything hardly in that entire time period.

But, finally got going and began to feel better, until, the stapling pulled apart. So I went in for a RNY Revision.

The second time around was much easier for me although not for the Dr. I'm told I was in surgery over 8 hrs and I lost a lot of blood and had to have a transfusion. Dr. Caitlin is now retired. But I know their are many Revision Surgeons such as Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco, Dr. Keshishian in Delano, Dr. Husted in Kentucky, that are all very versed on revising these old procedures.

Good luck, never give up hope!

Janie

runnergirl
on 3/18/09 5:31 am - Canada
 I had a VBG and had a revision to the DS. I had a mesh band as well. My surgeon said that was the hardest part to dissect on a VBG. It went well, my surgery was just under two hours, No complications. We are at a greater risk for complications and it is a risk , I remember thinking maybe if I try weigh****chers one more time, lol but I am glad I went ahead with it. Good luck , keep asking all the questions you can think of and ask different surgeons for their opinions too.

Heather
pepsi98
on 3/18/09 7:09 am - Norwich, CT
On March 17, 2009 at 7:20 PM Pacific Time, CharleneP wrote:

Charlene
I had a gastric stapling in 1982, but unfortunately the records are gone.  I contacted the hospital and they said that they don't keep records that long and I don't think the MD is still in practice, so I will probably never know if I had mesh or not.  All I know is he stapled the top 1/4 of the stomach and re connected the bowel to the working part of the stomach.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Magyargal
on 3/18/09 11:51 am
Hi Charlene,
     I'm going for a revision from a very old stomach stapling. Because of the mess thing, I need to have open surgery...I went for second and third opinions. all 3 surgeons said i had to have open. So open it is then... I thing even if I didn't have the mesh I would have open because of all the scar tissue, adhesion's and prior stomach surgery's.
     What ever you do MAKE100% sure your surgeon has done revisions on folks who has stomach stapling. it can be very complicated. Be safe not sorry... I wish you all the best...Alizka

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

Rhonda S.
on 3/18/09 12:32 pm - Bensalem, PA
I just had a revision from a 22 year old VBG a week ago and one of the issues was the mesh embedded in my stomach.  The surgeon told me he had to transect that part but I was able to have the revision to a VBG.  BTW - Barix in my area - Philadelphia - wouldn't even talk to me because I needed a revision and that particular site did not do revisions.  I ended up at a large teaching hospital in my area that is also a bariatric center of excellence.

Good Luck!

Rhonda
JROLFSON
on 3/19/09 1:51 am - St. George, UT

FYI:

It is so exciting to me to see all of the posters who have replied to this thread regarding Revisions from Gastric Stapling. You think your alone sometimes when you've had a procedure so long ago.

My records are also "in the black hole" so to speak and my surgeon has retied. It sure would be nice to be able to look at those documents to see exactly what I had done. That is I would like to know how much I had bypassed, if anything, when I had my Stapling to RNY Revision.

This is all great information, keep posting everyone.

JR

CharleneP
on 3/19/09 8:28 am - Canada

Thank you all very much for all your helpful insite... your very right. at times you think your the only one going through this.
I am totally amazed that they were able to find my records dating back that long ago. 
And just to read the surgical notes was something.. The whole time I was reading it, I was saying ohhh, ohhh , ohhhh.. yukkk. LOL..

Thanks again everyone..

Charlene

t
CharleneP
on 3/19/09 11:44 am, edited 3/19/09 11:45 am - Canada
I hope you don't mind me asking,, but did any of you still have the symptoms of the original surgery still prior to your revision..
like,, did you still eat smaller amounts
the dumping (I hadn't even heard that term, but sure understand it now)
Tolerating different foods..

I still find I have these, but not all the time...my smaller portions arent as small as when I had my surgery mind you.... but they aren't huge either.
I still get ill if I have too much sugar (shakes etc)
I still can't tolerate alot of pastas and sometimes breads??
One alcoholic drink, and wooow.

Thanks again
Charlene
Most Active