revision options for metabolism problem

amywitakay
on 3/16/09 2:21 pm
I don't know about anybody else but I hate when people including doctors assume that just because ur big, u eat a lot! Actually I'm totally opposite! My biggest problem wit my rny was having to eat 6 small meals a day! I have iron, protein, and B12 deficiencies plus hernias- repaired once and ulcers! And I have recently in last couple of years gained 100 lbs back after bypass in 99! My question is can anyone offer any suggestions on what type of revision I should have that can help me wit my metabolism problems as well as a surgery where I don't have to eat as often to achieve weight loss?
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/16/09 5:08 pm
You should look at the DS. I've had resolution of metabolic disorder, as well as many other things since my DS.
amywitakay
on 3/17/09 1:46 am
What kind of diet do u have to follow for DS? And do u or anybody out there know how much a rny to ds costs?
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/09 2:00 am
Prices vary widely from surgeon to surgeon. They recently posted prices on the DS forum and you may look over there.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/17/09 5:07 am, edited 3/17/09 5:08 am
It's pretty easy. I aim for about 100 gr or protein per day, so I eat a lot of meat and cheese. The fat in those isn't a problem since we mal-absorb some fat (which also gives us great cholesterol levels). I'm still in the losing phase, so I am careful to keep carbs under 100 gr as well, and lower is even better, so  I skip the bread, white rice, tortilla, potato for now.  When I get to goal, I will re-introduce more carbs to stabilize my weight.

There are no real "off limits" foods, but since we metabolize sugar and carbs like a normal person, we can't go buck wild with them either.

There are quite a few revisions on the DS board, and you may want to ask there what people revised from, how much it cost, and who was their surgeon. They are a very helpful group.

ETA - The DS eating is the most "normal" of any weight loss procedure, and that is a reason many people want it. It also has the best weight loss statistics, and weight loss maintenance of any WLS.

amywitakay
on 3/17/09 7:00 am
Thanks for the info! I believe I could do that! I don't like bread or potatoes or rice! I do like pasta but I could do without to lose this weight! My doc only talks about doing a lap band over my rny but I been reading posts about future outcomes and they were good for some but not all! Plus he has to do it open so I figure if I have to go thru all that I want sum that I know will help me lose 100lbs or more! I'm going to check on prices!
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/17/09 7:21 am
Well, surgeons recommend the procedures they are trained in, and many can't do the DS. It would be like going to the Ford dealer and wanting them to recommend a Honda.

It's best to select what surgery you want first, then select a surgeon based on that. I have a comparison list further down on my profile page (below the kidney stone stuff)
 www.obesityhelp.com/member/bearmom/
that helped me narrow down my surgery choice, but look at all the surgeries pages and know what they ALL are. Assuming you do look for a DS revision surgeon, there are lists at DSfacts.com, and duodenalswitch.com.

BTW, regardless of what surgery you get, you should know about Dreamfields pasta. I LOVE pasta too, and Dreamfields has only 5g of digestible carbs, so it's fine even for diabetics and people who have more than weight loss issues with carbs. You'd never know it was super low carb, it's actually good.
www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/low-carb-pasta.html
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/09 8:36 pm, edited 3/17/09 8:36 pm
Bearmom:

Just wanted to say I love the anlogy you used!

"It would be like going to the Ford dealer and wanting them to recommend a Honda."

That is so true. Many surgeons will defend and protect their business by downing procedures they don't offer. How said, because "If all you have is a hammer, every problem will look like a nail." (Quoted from a surgeon I know well)
 What a disservice to WLS in general. Then again, not all surgeons truly, truly understand the metabolic effects of some surgery procedures and why some are doomed to fail with certain procedures. So they offer only what they have in their toolbox.

StacysMom
on 3/17/09 9:50 pm
 Good point, BariatricRN.   Not only do the docs only offer what they have in their toolbox, but they use their knowledge and medical expertise to narrow the patient's options and thereby  manipulate the patient into selecting one of the surgical choices which the doctor offers.   In this manner, the doctor actually makes the decision for the patient, while the patient thinks he or she has made the decision for themselves.   It's criminal when you  consider the incomplete and downright misleading information some doctors tell their patients in order to sway their decisions for the purposes of keeping the surgeries "in-house".   
amywitakay
on 3/18/09 8:38 am
You both are so right! One doc wouldn't touch me then the next sent me thru sclerotherapy and suggested that if that doesn't work to get lap band over rny! I thought these were my only options until I came on here! So glad for all the info but I do also wanna hear from those with bands over rny! And I have been researching DS and it sounds like a great choice but seems like such a difficult procedure! Now just lookin for a surgeon kinda close to have a consult with! Thinking of not wasting more time with the schlerotherapy! Any surgeons that do rny to Ds near mississippi?
Most Active