Everyone should read this-Revision Procedures for Failed Gastric Bypass

Mary_J
on 3/16/09 10:16 pm
Yep, I know my crap this time around!  I 'fell' for 2 shots at a worthless surgery.  When my family kept trying to get me to have yet ANOTHER WLS, I just would NOT do the RnY - then I discovered the DS and learned everything I could.  You may have seen the phrase 'think twice, cut once' . . . .I coined that phrase, cuz I SURE know the outcome of not knowing ALL there is to know.  Getting informed is the best chance for success.

5' 5" -  317.5 / 132 / 134  SW / CW / GW

Mary_J
on 3/16/09 10:12 pm
Yep, I'm a hybrid of sorts!  Some of my DS friends call me a 'half switch-sister'  I should visit the Revison forum more often, just to take the opportunity to YELL that the DS is fantastic, in whatever form it takes!  I was trying to get the full DS revision, but couldn't find a doc ANYWHERE that would guarantee that - some wouldn't touch my stomach, some said 'if we can't, well do a distal RnY' - ummm, NO THANK YOU!  Not an option that I wanted to live with.  So, I took half of the best, rather than all of the worst (IMO).

I was linked to your post by a friend - we like that you're informed and getting the information out there!  I just needed to get MORE information out there :) so people KNOW there are better options!

StacysMom
on 3/16/09 10:42 pm
 Yeah for you!!!  I've used that phrase "think twice, cut once" on a few of my posts too!  I copied it from someone - it must have been you!   It sounds like you have been through a lot and good for you for sticking to your guns and getting the surgery you wanted!!   I'm honored that you've read what I put up and  posted your experience on my thread!    We can all learn from you.  It's all about disseminating correct and honest info with details and statistics.  

I think the whole point is to thoroughly research all the various options and make the right decision the first time around.   It's difficult for  people because the options just aren't offered in enough WLS centers and this is a shame.   People go to these RNY factories, all get the same surgery with no variations adapting to their particular weight loss problem and this is where the problems begin.  Some do well and some fail and then are stuck with that pouch which narrows their choices for revision if they need it down the line.    

You were smart to find a surgeon who was capable of tailoring a unique surgery to your cir****tances, and not settle for something less.

Have a wonderful day!  
Mary_J
on 3/16/09 10:53 pm
You probably didn't 'copy' it from me - I took it out of my signature after it became a well used phrase :)  But it's used often now!

My PERSONAL opinion is that the DS is for EVERYONE - and tailor THAT to your individual needs (stomach size, common channel length).  It's nearly an idiot proof surgery (NEARLY), and if you can't succeed with the DS, the odds are that you won't make the others successful (since they leave much of the work up to 'working the tool' rather than 'fixing the broken equipemnt' IMO).  I'm rather opinionated, after my experience and research, and it tends to get me into trouble, so I should probably STFU! :)

StacysMom
on 3/16/09 11:11 pm
 I like the way you say that!  "Fix the broken equipment" instead of "working the tool".   What a great way to phrase it.   Sums it right up!  (Why didn't I think of that? )  

Do I have your permission to use it in the future?  LOL  
Mary_J
on 3/16/09 11:18 pm
Sure :)

Can you tell I've spent my life surrounded by males?  Carpenters and mechanics!

(deactivated member)
on 3/17/09 5:08 am - AZ
On March 17, 2009 at 5:53 AM Pacific Time, Mary_J wrote:
You probably didn't 'copy' it from me - I took it out of my signature after it became a well used phrase :)  But it's used often now!

My PERSONAL opinion is that the DS is for EVERYONE - and tailor THAT to your individual needs (stomach size, common channel length).  It's nearly an idiot proof surgery (NEARLY), and if you can't succeed with the DS, the odds are that you won't make the others successful (since they leave much of the work up to 'working the tool' rather than 'fixing the broken equipemnt' IMO).  I'm rather opinionated, after my experience and research, and it tends to get me into trouble, so I should probably STFU! :)

I realize you think DS is for everyone but that isn't realistic.  Some lucky folks don't need malabsorption, restriction is good enough.  And I do mean lucky!  I don't think most people can overhaul their diet completely.  The food obsessions, cravings, etc.  I think that is why I would have failed RNY.  You can't turn those behaviors off the moment of surgery, it takes a lot of head work and by the time I would have completed the head work my pouch and stoma would be huge.

In my wildest dreams I never thought I could change my eating habits from fast food to veggies but I did.  For the first time in my life I crave good foods.  I eat what I want and when I want and I maintain easily.

Had I gotten DS I'd still be eating the same load of crap I was before surgery.  It is very possible to be fat and malnourished and that probably described me well at the time I had surgery.

Mary_J
on 3/17/09 5:36 am
On March 17, 2009 at 12:08 PM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:

I realize you think DS is for everyone but that isn't realistic.  Some lucky folks don't need malabsorption, restriction is good enough.  And I do mean lucky!  I don't think most people can overhaul their diet completely.  The food obsessions, cravings, etc.  I think that is why I would have failed RNY.  You can't turn those behaviors off the moment of surgery, it takes a lot of head work and by the time I would have completed the head work my pouch and stoma would be huge.

In my wildest dreams I never thought I could change my eating habits from fast food to veggies but I did.  For the first time in my life I crave good foods.  I eat what I want and when I want and I maintain easily.

Had I gotten DS I'd still be eating the same load of crap I was before surgery.  It is very possible to be fat and malnourished and that probably described me well at the time I had surgery.

I was very clear that it was my opinion.  I probably still eat the same 'load of crap' now, not having the stomach portion of the DS done, but that 'crap' is now handled by my body the way it should have been had I had the metabolism of a normal person, IMO.  According to my first two pre-op reports before my VBG and the revision to that VBG, I was labeled super-morbidly obese and malnourished, so yes, it sure is possible - but I'm no longer labeled either.  So the DS has done plenty for me in both departments.

(deactivated member)
on 3/17/09 5:43 am - AZ
On March 17, 2009 at 12:36 PM Pacific Time, Mary_J wrote:

I was very clear that it was my opinion.  I probably still eat the same 'load of crap' now, not having the stomach portion of the DS done, but that 'crap' is now handled by my body the way it should have been had I had the metabolism of a normal person, IMO.  According to my first two pre-op reports before my VBG and the revision to that VBG, I was labeled super-morbidly obese and malnourished, so yes, it sure is possible - but I'm no longer labeled either.  So the DS has done plenty for me in both departments.

I never claimed you stated it as fact.  I merely wrote it is unrealistic and it is.

If I would have had RNY or DS I'd still be eating horrible diet, if the band did anything for me it made me realize that I can change my eating habits. LOL

Mary_J
on 3/17/09 5:52 am
On March 17, 2009 at 12:43 PM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:
On March 17, 2009 at 12:36 PM Pacific Time, Mary_J wrote:

I never claimed you stated it as fact.  I merely wrote it is unrealistic and it is.

If I would have had RNY or DS I'd still be eating horrible diet, if the band did anything for me it made me realize that I can change my eating habits. LOL

I didn't say you claimed it as fact.  I was just reiterating that it was my opinion.  The 'sting' that you keep hiding in your posts that bothers me is that you think the DS diet is 'eating horrible' or a 'load of crap'.  You are absolutely correct, some of us can't change our eating habits.  But some of us also didn't have 'horrible' eating habits that got us fat, either.  Either way, the way a DSer eats is not horrible or a load of crap - it's what works for us.  Many didn't, and still don't, eat much different than the skinny ***** next door - she just happens to be a lucky, skinny ***** :)

Most Active