Everyone should read this-Revision Procedures for Failed Gastric Bypass

StacysMom
on 3/14/09 8:58 pm
 I found another article from 2007 in the same journal.   Honest info from an actual medical journal - no inflating or spinning of facts!  This one includes all the various procedures including the Stomaphyx-type ones as well as Sclerotherapy:

Revision Procedures for Failed Gastric Bypass

September 2007

by Manish Parikh, MD; Marc Bessler, MD

Both from Center for Obesity Surgery, Columbia University, New York-Presbyterian Hospital, New York, New York

Disclosures: Autosuture (teaching), Ethicon Endosurgery (consulting), Bariatric partners (consulting), Inamed/Allergan (consulting), and Karl Storz Endoscopy (research).

INTRODUCTION

The Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) is the most commonly performed bariatric procedure in the US. However, the long-term failure rate after RYGB is 20 to 35 percent.[1] Particularly in superobese patients (BMI≥50Kg/m2), this failure rate can be as high as 40 to 60 percent, depending on how failure is defined.[2]
Poor weight loss often leads patients to request a revision procedure. Indeed, the most common indication for reoperation after RYGB is inadequate weight loss.[3] Revision bariatric surgery is technically complex, associated with a high incidence of morbidity, and historically has had questionable efficacy.[4] In the current laparoscopic era, reoperative bariatric surgery has become more popular due to quicker recovery and decreased wound complications compared to open reoperative series.[5] Perhaps even more promising are new endoluminal therapies which avoid intra-abdominal surgery altogether. This review describes the various revision options for failed RYGB, including emerging endoluminal therapies.

Initial Evaluation

Careful nutritional and anatomic evaluation is helpful in understanding the causes of weight loss failure. It is important to differentiate between patients who have never succeeded with the RYGB and patients *****gained weight after significant excess weight loss (EWL) with the primary RYGB. Most patients report 50 to 60 percent EWL within two years and then subsequent weight regain. These are the patients who seem to benefit most from a revision procedure to eliminate the weight regain. The patients who never succeeded with a RYGB constitute a difficult population to treat. A thorough assessment of dietary patterns is helpful (e.g., volume-eaters vs. “grazers"). Some benefit from a more restrictive procedure such as the addition of an adjustable band on the gastric pouch. Others may benefit from conversion to the more malabsorptive biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (BPD-DS).

In patients who present with failed RYGB, it is often useful to perform both upper endoscopy and upper gastrointestinal (GI) contrast studies, as they are complementary in the evaluation of anatomy and cause of weight gain after bariatric surgery.[6] Endoscopy provides useful information about the pouch and stoma while upper GI detects esophageal and Roux limb abnormalities. These modalities also effectively diagnose staple line dehiscence and gastrogastric fistula.

We consider a pouch dilated if it is greater than 120cc in volume and a stoma dilated if it is greater than 2cm in diameter. Occasionally patients present with weight regain secondary to maladaptive eating behavior from stomal obstruction. However, most patients who present to us with weight regain after RYGB have technically intact anatomy (i.e., no evidence of gastrogastric fistula) with a dilated pouch and/or dilated stoma.

Surgical Therapies for Weight Loss Failure after RYGB

Historically revision for failed RYGB involved reduction of the gastrojejunostomy stoma.[7] In Mason’s series, a significant number (15%) of these patients required an additional revision procedure. Schwartz reported a 50-percent complication rate and negligible weight loss in 42 RYGB patients undergoing gastrojejunostomy revision.[4] Muller, et al., described this laparoscopically (“pouch resizing") and reported a mean BMI decrease of 3.9Kg/m2 at 11 months.[8]

Others recommend conversion of the failed RYGB to a distal gastric bypass. This entails disconnecting the Roux limb and reconnecting it closer to the ileocecal valve, usually 50 to 150cm proximal to the ileocecal valve. Fobi, et al., reported an average 20Kg weight loss and mean BMI decrease of 7Kg/m2 in 65 patients converted to distal RYGB.[9] However, 23 percent of patients developed protein malnutrition and almost half of these patients required revision surgery for this. Similarly, Sugerman, et al., reported 69-percent EWL at three years in 27 patients undergoing conversion to distal RYGB.10 Five of 27 had a common channel of 50cm and the remainder had a common channel of 150cm. The shorter common channel led to an “unacceptable" morbidity and mortality (all required revision, and two died of hepatic failure). The longer common channel was still associated with a 25-percent incidence of protein malnutrition and a significant number required operative revision. A recent report by Muller, et al., comparing a matched cohort (based on age, gender, and BMI) of standard RYGB (150cm Roux limb) and distal RYGB (150cm common channel) found no significant difference in weight loss or comorbidity reduction at 4 years.[11]

Conversion to the more malabsorptive BPD-DS is another surgical option. The incidence of protein malnutrition seen with BPD-DS may be less than with distal RYGB, partly because the larger stomach and sparing of the first portion of the duodenum affords better digestive behavior.[12] Keshishian, et al., reported 69-percent EWL at 30 months in 46 patients revised to BPD-DS (26 were from RYGB).[13] However, they did report a significantly higher complication rate in the RYGB revision patients, including a 15-percent leak rate.

At our institution, we frequently offer the adjustable gastric band as a surgical option for failed weight loss after RYGB. It is a technically simpler and safer operation to perform compared to other revision procedures and offers reasonable weight loss. The adjustable band is placed around the proximal gastric pouch and above the gastrojejunostomy. The remainder of the RYGB is left in-situ. O’Brien, et al., and Kyzer, et al., originally described converting any failed bariatric procedure (including gastric bypass) to the Lap-Band system.[14,15] Both series reported good weight reduction; however, subgroup analysis for failed RYGB was not provided.

A previous report from our own institution looked specifically at the use of adjustable gastric banding as a revision procedure for failed RYGB in eight patients.[16] Mean BMI prior to revision was 44.0±4.5Kg/m2. Patients had an average of four band adjustments over one year. Mean EWL was 38.1±10.4 percent at 12 months and 44.0±36.3 percent at 24 months. Another more recent report from NYU Medical Center revealed a mean 6.3Kg/m2 BMI decrease and approximately 20.8±16.9-percent EWL at 12 months in 11 failed RYGB patients.[17] Both series had minimal complications (mostly port-related).
Key technical points in placing the adjustable band on the upper pou*****lude the use of upper endoscopy to verify that the band is placed around the gastric pouch and not the esophagus, making sure that the band is at least 1cm proximal to the gastrojejunostomy, and using the fundus and the anterior wall of the bypassed stomach to plicate (with permanent sutures) above and below the band to ensure adequate anterior fixation. Sometimes, the gastric pouch alone is large enough to be used for the fundoplication.

Endoscopic Therapies for Weight Loss Failure after RYGB

Endoscopic therapies consist of either sclerotherapy or transoral endoscopic reduction. The goal of sclerotherapy of the gastrojejunostomy is to reduce the diameter of the gastrojejunostomy in a minimally invasive, low-risk manner. Specifically, submucosal and intramusuclar injections of five percent sodium morrhuate are placed circumferentially around the gastrojejunostomy to reduce the stomal diameter (by inducing tissue retraction and scarring). Data is limited regarding the efficacy of this technique. Spaulding reported a small series (n=20) of RYGB patients with weight gain who underwent sclerotherapy.18 . Although sclerotherapy was 100-percent successful in diminishing the diameter of the gastrojejunostomy, the clinical effects were marginal: Seven to nine percent EWL overall, 25 percent regained weight, and only 45 percent noticed a “lasting difference.  Catalano, et al., recently reported more favorable results with sclerotherapy in 28 RYGB patients with weight regain (>18Kg after initial successful weight loss) and a stoma size >12mm.[19] They injected 2 to 4mL of sclerosant (sodium morrhuate) per quadrant circumferentially. Success (defined as stoma size <12mm and loss of >75% of regained weight) was achieved in 64 percent of patients. Mean stoma diameter decreased from 17 to 12.7mm and average weight loss was 22.3Kg (ranging from 3Kg weight regain to 37Kg weight loss). Problems encountered included shallow ulcers at the anastomosis (in nearly one-third of patients), stomal stenosis (requiring dilation), and post-injection pain (in 75% of patients).

Another emerging endoscopic technique is endoscopic suturing to narrow or plicate the gastrojejunostomy and thus reduce the stomal diameter. Schweitzer reported successful stomal plication in four patients; although all patients experienced early satiety, the absolute weight loss was not reported.[20]

Thompson, et al., reported a series of eight patients with gastrojejunostomies greater than 2cm who underwent endoscopic anastomotic reduction using the EndoCinch suturing system (C.R. Bard Inc., Murray Hill, NJ).[21] Seventy-five percent(6/8) of the patients lost weight (mean 10kg) at four months and overall EWL was 23.4 percent. There are several other promising endoluminal therapies on the horizon.[22-23] Further studies are required to determine if these new techniques deliver sustained weight loss.

Conclusions

Patients who have failed RYGB (especially after initial successful weight loss) are challenging. As the number of RYGB increase in the US, bariatric surgeons are likely to see this problem more frequently. Surgical treatment options include revision of the gastrojejunal anastomosis, placement of an adjustable gastric band on the pouch, conversion to distal gastric bypass, and conversion to duodenal switch.

Emerging endoluminal therapies include sclerotherapy and stomal plication. Longer-term studies are required to determine which treatment option is best. Careful risk benefit analysis is warranted in dealing with this difficult clinical and technically challenging situation.

References
1. Christou N, Look D, MacLean L. Weight gain after short- and long-limb gastric bypass in patients followed for longer than 10 years. Ann Surg 2006;244:734–40.
2. Prachand V, DaVee R, Alverdy J. Duodenal switch provides superior weight loss in the super-obese (BMI>50Kg/m2) compared with gastric bypass. Ann Surg 2006;244:611–9.
3. Behrns K, Smith C, Kelly K, Sarr M. Reoperative bariatric surgery—Lessons learned to improve patient selection and results. Ann Surg 1993;218:646–53.
4. Schwartz R, Strodel W, Simpson W, Griffen W. Gastric bypass revision: lessons learned from 920 cases. Surgery 1988;104:806–12.
5. Gagner M, Gentileschi P, De Csepel J, et al. Laparoscopic reoperative bariatric surgery: Experience from 27 consecutive patients. Obes Surg 2002;12:254–60.
6. Brethauer S, Nfonsam V, Sherman V, et al. Endoscopy and upper gastrointestinal contrast studies are complementary in evaluation of weight regain after bariatric surgery. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2006;2:643–50.
7. Mason E, Printen K Hartford C, Boyd W. Optimizing results of gastric bypass. Ann Surg 1975;182:405–13.
8. Muller M, Wildi S, Scholz T, et al. Laparoscopic pouch resizing and redo of gastro-jejunal anastomosis for pouch dilatation following gastric bypass. Obes Surg 2005;15:1089–95.
9. Fobi M, Lee H, Igwe D, et al. Revision of failed gastric bypass to distal Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: A review of 65 cases. Obes Surg 2001;11:190–5.
10. Sugerman H, Kellum J, DeMaria E. Conversion of proximal to distal gastric bypass for failed gastric bypass for superobesity. J Gastrointest Surg 1997;1:517–25.
11. Muller M, Rader S, Wildi S, et al. Matched pair analysis of proximal vs. distal laparoscopic gastric bypass with 4 years follow-up. Surg Endosc 2007;21:S369.
12. Rabkin R. The duodenal switch as an increasing and highly effective operation for morbid obesity. Obes Surg 2004;14:861–5.
13. Keshishian A, Zahriya K, Hartoonian T, Ayagian C. Duodenal switch is a safe operation for patients who have failed other bariatric operations. Obes Surg 2004;14:1187–92.
14. O’Brien P, Brown W, Dixon J, Racog D. Revisional surgery for morbid obesity—Conversion to the Lap-Band system. Obes Surg 2000;10:557–63.
15. Kyzer S, Raziel A, Landau O, et al. Use of adjustable silicone gastric banding for revision of failed gastric bariatric operations. Obes Surg 2001;11:66–9.
16. Bessler M, Daud A, DiGiorgi M, et al. Adjustable gastric banding as a revisional bariatric procedure after failed gastric bypass. Obes Surg 2005;15:1443–8.
17. Gobble R, Parikh M, Grieves M, et al. Gastric banding as a salvage procedure for patients with weight loss failure after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Surg Endosc 2007;21:S301.
18. Spaulding L. Treatment of dilated gastrojejunostomy with sclerotherapy. Obes Surg 2003;13:254–7.
19. Catalano M, Rudic G, Anderson A, Chua Y. Weight gain after bariatric surgery as a result of a large gastric stoma: Endotherapy with sodium morrhuate may prevent the need for surgical revision. Gastrointest Endosc 2007 (epub).
20. Schweitzer M. Endoscopic intraluminal suture plication of the gastric pouch and stoma in postoperative Roux-en-Y gastric bypass patients. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2004;14:223–6.
21. Thompson C, Slattery J, Bundga M, Lautz D. Peroral endoscopic reduction of dilated gastrojejunal anastomosis after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a possible new option for patients with weight regain. Surg Endosc 2006;20:1744–8.
22. Herron D, Birkeet D, Bessler M, Swanstrom L. Gastric bypass pouch and stoma reduction using a transoral endoscopic anchor placement system: A feasibility study. Surg Endosc 2007;21:S333.
23. Himpens J, Cremer M, Cadiere G, Mikami D. Use of a new endoluminal device in the transoral endoscopic surgical procedure for the treatment of weight regain after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. SAGES Emerging Technology Oral Abstract #15 2007.

Here is the link to the bariatric journal where this was reported:

bariatrictimes.com/2007/09/10/revision-procedures-for-failed -gastric-bypass/

Elizabeth N.
on 3/15/09 11:24 am - Burlington County, NJ
brandyII
on 3/15/09 12:43 pm, edited 3/15/09 12:43 pm
Why don't more surgeons do DS or sleeves?
StacysMom
on 3/15/09 1:21 pm
You know, I put up a post asking Dr. Husted, a DS surgeon *****cently started answering questions on here, that very question.   Unfortunately, there are a few people who I have pissed off by posting some truths on here, and they have "dogpiled" my post with some nasty messages toward Dr. Husted and he probably don't answer now because he doesn't want to get involved with all the pettiness that has been displayed.   Too bad.   He never did anything to these people and there are others besides me who want to know the answer to this very question, so they ruined it for everyone.  I'd like to get an actual DS surgeon's opinion about it, but I don't think that's going to happen now.  

Here's what I think and it's just my opinion:

I suspect it's because the DS and sleeve are newer types of operations which metabolically work differently than the RNY and the long term research is just coming to the forefront showing that the RNY is not as successful as once thought.    The RNY was once considered the "gold standard" of weight loss surgeries, but that was compared with things like stapling and the non-adjustable gastric banding of many years ago.  

So, the RNY was the surgery which was taught the most.   Now, more doctors are learning how to do the sleeve and the DS, so it will change.   But, (and this is only my opinion) the doctors who only do the RNY or lapbands have a vested interest in keeping their businesses going, so many of them do not want to take the time to learn new procedures until lots of patients start asking for them.   I've seen some doctors adding the laparoscopic sleeve to their practice lately, especially if they already do the RNY via lap.  

Another issue is regarding revisions.   Once someone has had their stomach cut into the pouch of the RNY it is very difficult to revise them into the sleeve portion of the DS.   It is a complicated surgery and only a handful of doctors around the world have the skill and expertise to do it.   Most RNY surgeons tell their patients that it is impossible to revise the RNY to the DS.   That is not true.   It is difficult and maybe they can't do it, but others can and it is not impossible!   That is why everyone needs to think long and hard about getting the RNY in the first place.   It works for some people just fine, but for others there is a high failure rate and then the type of revision options available to them are limited to either lapband or shortening their common channels to the distal or ERNY, and these surgeries also have their own inherent issues.  

Most people (unless they are involved with researching different types of surgeries) don't even know about the DS or the sleeve.  I know that I wasn't aware of either of them until I started reading these forums over 2 years ago!!  And, there are a lot of Weight Loss Centers that are nothing more than RNY factories - they just give everyone the same exact surgery and send them home with the same instructions.   Those who fail with it are blamed for "not using their tool" or "eating around the surgery", when it may not have been the appropriate surgery for them in the first place.     And, this is unfair, but it is done every day. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/09 11:31 pm
Stacy:
If you will provide me with a link to your post, I will make sure Dr. Husted answers it for you. There have been many posts of late I have been bringing to his attention and I can't read them
all for sure, even though I try. He is very disgusted with the misinformation given on the DS forum and is trying to clean things up so to speak.

Your thoughts are very accurate on what you stated above. When I had gastric bypass in 2002 all surgeons talked down the DS, making it sound completely disgusting, with horrid side effects and all the patients were guiena pigs. Very few surgeons do the DS, and those that don;t are trying to preserve their business. Yes, revisions are possible from bypass to DS or VERGITO, Dr. Husted's newest procedure. As I work for the hospital that he performs surgery in, I am not allowed to give contact information, but it is easily available.

Stacy: email me the link at: [email protected]

Thanks!

Cathi
StacysMom
on 3/16/09 8:45 am, edited 3/16/09 8:47 am
 I asked OH to delete my entire post to Dr. Husted, but basically it was similar to my post above, where I am wondering why things are the way they are.  

Is the DS/sleeve not taught in medical school?  Is that why most doctors do not perform it?  

Why do RNY doctors lie to their patients about the DS either as a primary WLS or as a revision?  Why do they tell them it is impossible to revise from the RNY to the DS or use scare tactics to dissuade them from a surgery which they don't even perform.  

Is it merely a business tactic to keep as many surgeries "in house" as they can?   Didn't they take an oath?  

What is the climate in the medical community re:  DS vs. RNY vs. Sleeve?  

When I realized that Dr. Husted was being discouraged from answering my original post, I did find some research studies  to answer some of my questions, and I have posted them on this forum for others to see and learn  from.

Thank you for becoming active on this board.   I am anxious to hear what someone with your background and education has to say about all of this.

BTW, I liked seeing Dr. Husted become involved on this board like he did last week.   It's  nice when a doctor takes the time to answer questions.   I only had a problem the other doctor (Schlesinger) who was doing it because he was actively inviting other doctor's patients to PM him and call his office and send him their medical records.   I felt this was unethical.   Dr. Husted did not do that.  In fact, he even had a disclaimer at the end of each post saying "I am not your surgeon", etc.  Much more professional, in my book!
BeverlyTooTall
on 3/16/09 11:58 pm
 All the surgeons I have contacted about my situation have been very busy, and an apointment takes 6 weeks up to 6 months away. This includes those who do DS, lapband, or RNY, and  those who do them all.
I don't think any of them are struggling for patients, I think they all have more than they can handle, and with obesity rising it won't change anytime soon.
My intention is to decide what to do, and then to find the proper surgeon to do it. I think getting in will be the only problem, since I will have to selfpay, insurance approval won't matter.
(deactivated member)
on 3/16/09 8:08 pm - Woodbridge, VA
You're right about the docs who do NOT perform theDS wanting to preserve their business. The DS, however, has been around for more than 20 years, so it's not all that new. The reason more surgeons don't do it is that it is more complex and difficult, plain and simple. A surgeon can learn to do the RNY in a quick weekend training, but the DS typically requires months of being taught by an experienced DS surgeon. This requires a great investment of time, and we all know time is money!

Furthermore, insurance companies only reimburse almost the same amount for a DS as for an RNY, despite the fact that a DS can take up to double the time of an RNY (and double the anesthesia) and requires typically an additional day in the hospital. This means the surgeon can only perform 1, maybe 2, DSes in a day getting reimbursed not much more than for an RNY, or they could perform multiple RNYs (say 4) and get reimbursed for those. The RNY is a bigger money-maker.

The VSG as a stand-alone procedure is very new; there is no long-term data yet available. I would hope more surgeons would move to this instead of the band in the future, but since the band is a PRODUCT backed by marketing and incentive $$, I'm sure it will be around for a long while.

So, it mostly comes down to the almighty dollar.
StacysMom
on 3/16/09 9:22 pm
 Thanks for posting this, Jillybean!  I didn't realize that the DS took so much longer nor that it required more education than learning the RNY!   I thought the doctors learned all of the surgeries as part of their medical training, through either their residencies or through fellowships.  
The things that I have been reading for two years make a lot more sense now!   

If the virgin DS takes that long, the RNY to DS revision must take all day.   No wonder all the surgeons are pushing the shorter and easier distal or ERNY, even though all of the research says that the DS is a more effective form of revision (conversion, actually).  No wonder most established WLS programs only offer the RNY or lapband!  These are the two surgeries which must be the fastest and easiest to perform!

It figures that it all boils down to $$$.  I suspected that, but didn't know enough about the "hows" or "whys" to really know for sure.  This has been enlightening.   Everyone should be made aware of this! 

So, the only real way that WLS patients are ever going to be able to have the choices we want is for our population to apply pressure to the RNY medical community and lobby for them to learn the other surgical options and to do our own research and not be swayed by what the doctor is recommending.    And, to think that they took an oath!!   
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/09 3:12 am - Woodbridge, VA
I don't want to make it sound like a DS takes all day to do - my surgeon takes about 2.5-3 hours to do a laparoscopic DS. I believe an average lap RNY takes, what, 1.5-2 hours? But I know, for my surgeon, if he does a DS in the morning, he won't do even an RNY in the afternoon because it's just too much to do in one day (I know I am sitting here on OH while I'm at work--not like he can just take that kind of a break during a surgery!).
Most Active