Great article on RNY revisions from Bariatric Journal!

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/09 11:02 am - San Jose, CA
This is from an exclusively (to my knowledge) RNY practice in Canada.  NONE of them is a DS surgeon.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=17060766

Ann Surg. 2006 November; 244(5): 734–740. PMCID: PMC1856611
Copyright © 2006 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc. Weight Gain After Short- and Long-Limb Gastric Bypass in Patients Followed for Longer Than 10 Years Nicolas V. Christou, MD, PhD, Didier Look, MD, and Lloyd D. MacLean, MD, PhD From the Section of Bariatric Surgery, Division of General Surgery, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Results: There was a significant (P < 0.0001) increase in BMI in both morbidly obese (BMI < 50 kg/m2) and super obese patients (BMI > 50 kg/m2) from the nadir to 5 years and from 5 to 10 years. The super obese lost more rapidly from time zero and gained more rapidly after reaching the lowest weight at approximately 2 years than the morbidly obese patients. There was no difference in results between the long- and short-limb operations. There was a significant increase in failures and decrease in excellent results at 10 years when compared with 5 years. The failure rate when all patients are followed for at least 10 years was 20.4% for morbidly obese patients and 34.9% for super obese patients.
Conclusions: The gastric bypass limb length does not impact long-term weight loss. Significant weight gain occurs continuously in patients after reaching the nadir weight following gastric bypass. Despite this weight gain, the long-term mortality remains low at 3.1%.

Now you can argue all you want about the differences between an original distal RNY and a revisional ERNY.  But show me (and Staceysmom and in particular anyone who is pre-revision looking for which revisional surgery to chose) any stats that show anything better for the ERNY.  The ERNY does NOT give you the same physiology as the DS, no matter how much you wi**** were so.  It simply isn't true.  In addition, you are going to be at significantly higher risk of nutritional issues than a DSer, because you have more significant iron and B12 and other issues of absorption from the exclusion of the stomach and entire duodenum, in addition to not beling able to eat as well as we can; the anemia problems of a stoma, the inability to take NSAIDs, dumping, meat intolerance, in addition to the malabsorption -- in other words, the worst of both surgeries.

StacysMom
on 4/13/09 4:59 pm, edited 4/13/09 4:59 pm
 Thank you, Diana, for posting this valuable information.   I believe the PubMed professional research paper site requires a paid membership in order to just be able to read the studies and this is something that the rest of us "non-scientists" do not have access to.  

I also think people are confused about the DS vs the ERNY because both institute a shortened common channel.    What they don't realize is that there are other aspects of the intestinal hookup which are different in the two surgeries. It is not just a matter of the shortened common channel.   I am not a doctor, so I cannot address this difference; but, it is important for people to know.   
(deactivated member)
on 4/13/09 5:19 pm - San Jose, CA
Actually, PubMed publishes the ABSTRACTS of most published medical journals for anyone to search and read -- each journal has its own sites for accessing the full article, most of them by paying for it.  There are a few that let you read the whole article for free -- but I don't have access to the paid journals, unless they are things like JAMA, Science, Nature, or things that are cancer or antibody related, because my antibody biotech company has access.  None of the obesity-related journals though, sadly.

But a lot of the abstracts give an email address for one or more of the authors -- I will often write to the author if I want the full article, and they usually send it to me.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/14/09 5:49 am
If you are interested in PubMed and other articles in their entirety, most colleges have the paid subscriptions to access those databases. The two colleges near me both have easy access on their library computers, but if you ever take any class there, they usually give you the necessary passwords so you can even access the databases from your home computer.
shele
on 4/13/09 10:10 pm
Monique H.
on 4/14/09 12:44 am
I think it is funny too how everyone wants to jump in and I'm at the gym doing what I have to do to lose my weight.

As I said before this is not about the surgery I chose, but about your statement that you didn't want to post anything about you after you asked me to post my story in a thread that had nothing to do with me. If you can't understand that then I'm sorry.

This is my last post about the topic. Enjoy yourself and hopefully one day someone will find out who you are and what you are really here for. Be Blessed.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Most Active