How hard do you really have to work?

Laura F.
on 3/14/09 7:14 am
I am having my band removed and getting the RNY on April 17th. I had to work my butt off to get 50 lbs off to then regain all but 10lbs. So my question is how easily does the weight come off with the
RNY? I am a fairly active person now, playing volleyball 2 times a week for 2-3 hours.
My_Time
on 3/14/09 8:45 am - Bangor, ME
When you have the RNY you will be instructed on what you can eat for the 1st few weeks like protein drinks, cottage cheese etc.  Make sure your doctors office is able to provide you with this information.  Also, they should have a support group for you to join that will be so important for your success.  The key is you will be full very quickly and you need to stop at that point.  I found myself making sure I ate something even if it was just American cheese slice.  Otherwise I was not really hungry.  I lost 95lbs in the 1st 3 months alone.  There is a honeymoon period so to speak.  It is about 18mos to 2 years you will loose faster if you use this tool properly.  Good luck to you.

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/09 10:33 pm - Togo
When I had the rny the fat just melted off me. It was one of the most exciting times in my life. I lost a total of 130 pounds.

That was 12 years ago and I just had a revision to a lap band. The reason being the bottom of the rny eventually came undone. But I also stopped working with the rny after many years. Something tragic events took place in my life and my life style changed drastically. So I am certain I helped it to come apart. If I had not done what I did I am sure it would have remained intact.

It does take work. But the great thing about wls is the more weight you lose the more you are motivated to keep on losing. Your energy picks up, you become more outgoing, your self esteem rises back up. You like yourself, etc, etc.

So it does take some work but it is more in the manner of creating new habits that ultimately change the way you live. And once those changes are in the works it gets easier and easier to adhere to the wls. 

Good luck. 

runnergirl
on 3/17/09 5:38 am - Canada
 I agree with the others, you have to keep moving. I always was active before surgery and I did take the three months off directly after surgery but started doing cardio at that point. I really took time off from weight training and didn't start weights until last week. I am losing and doing well for a revision, I am down 77 lbs and will be at 6 months soon. I needed to kick myself in the butt and get to the gym because you still need exercise to be healthy. You can be thin and still be out of shape. I need to take care of myself to keep my bones healthy and my heart strong both benefits from working out. lol but I would be lying if I didn't say I did enjoy that holiday from the gym. The upside is it is way easier to move with the extra weight off.

Heather
qhorsegal
on 3/22/09 9:19 am - KY
Hi.. I am just curious when you had your band put in. I want a revision but wonder how long I will have to wait to do it and insurance pay for it.
Most Active