HELP!! Stomaphyx or push for ERNY ?

pepsi98
on 3/15/09 4:53 am - Norwich, CT
On March 15, 2009 at 6:57 AM Pacific Time, pseward wrote:
I had a Stomaphyx at the end of Sept. I lost 10,000 dollars and only 15lb and now I have gained that + 15 lbs and am in the process of trying to get a revision, the stomaphyx was a simple non invasive procedure and that was why I got it done also, but no restriction at all. good luck with you decision.
Would you be a revision from RNY?  If so, think the least invasive is the lap band.  It was a good option for me.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Lorrims56
on 3/15/09 1:50 pm - Claremont, CA
 Oh my goodness.  I feel so confused.  I don't know what to do.  I am scheduled for the stomaphyx on 3/27 in San Diego.  I will have spent just over 11K cash.  I am afraid of a revision because my original surgery in 95 had some awful side effects.  I guess I will call Dr. Ellner's office and share my concerns...thank you for all your info.  
JROLFSON
on 3/16/09 6:33 am - St. George, UT
Wow! I am totally blown away that these Dr's can charge 10-11K for a procedure that didn't work. Shame, Shame on them!

I'm so sorry it didn't work for you. But it sounds like that is how it is for most. I actually checked into it over a year ago and my Mother was going to give me the money to pay cash for it. I'm so glad I was reading this board intently because several people posted on here their results and they didn't look favorable.

I hope you found found another means to get to your goal.

Janie
JROLFSON
on 3/16/09 6:34 am - St. George, UT
My last post was meant for PSE.

Janie
pseward
on 3/16/09 6:50 am
I am tying to get a revision hopefully my insurance will pay for this time my RYN was in 2003 I went from 288lbs to 160lbs and again was cash pay that cost me 25,000.00 I was so happy could not stand myself you think I would have worked extra had to keep it off now I am almost 200lb and that is why I did the stomaphyx I really wanted the less invasive , but guess that is part of why it doesn't work no pain no gain or loss. I think these physicians are thinking the same way less invasive and it should work but it doesn't I was told by my new doc it is not the stoma that is starched out it the is other part so that is why it dose not work. wish I had done more research before I spent all that money, not only that it makes you feel like a failure once again.
JROLFSON
on 3/16/09 8:50 am - St. George, UT

PSE:

If you have had RNY...It is highly likely that you're not a failure. They are findng through several years of research that weight loss, especially through revision is much, much slower than the first time around as your metabolism slows down.

Fortunately there are many routes to take on the road to Revision. By reading this site you will hear the journey of many. Finding the right procedure for you personally is the challenge. They all seem inviting and everyone has different experiences...As a past RNY'er your choices probably stand at DS, ERNY, and Banding. I'm sure you aleady know DS is the best, but not always the easiest to get insurance to approve, nor is it the least risky. Many things to consider.

I hope you find your perfect match. After reading and going back and forth between the different sites. Trying to find all the results which show at least 50lb weight loss. I have chosen ERNY it's not for everyone, but I do believe it's right for me. Weigh out your options, do your research. You will get comfortable that way with the best match for you...

There are a lot of good Dr.s out there all having their own specialty. Find one who has done many, many of the procedure you decide upon.

I wish you luck, I know it's a battle and so frustrating. It can all get so confusing, it's taken me 2
long years to decide.

I'm excited for you!

Janie

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/09 6:18 am - AZ
On March 13, 2009 at 11:50 PM Pacific Time, mipo1 wrote:
I need input from people who have had the Stomaphyx procedure.    I have a VERY dilated stoma  but  also my original RNY only bypassed 60cm.   My BMI is back to 40 and I very much need some sort of intervention.  My surgeon is pushing the Stomaphyx and is actively discouraging  any surgical revision of my original RNY (over 10 years ago) due to the frequency and severity of complications.  PLEASE people out there, is Stomaphyx successful in bringing the feeling of restriction /satiety back?  Does it last , how many months post procedure are you ?  Have you continued to lose weight?   or should I look for another surgeon who will do the ERNY.   

I've been reading the revision board for a couple of years now and I've yet to see someone that was happy with any procedure of that type.  From posts here people tend to lose about 20# on the post op diet and that's it.  Then they regain.

It's a great concept, hopefully soon they'll be able to make that procedure type work.

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/09 11:38 pm
People who have had the gastric bypass and for what ever reason it failed them, their bodies tend to become metabolically stubborn making it even more difficult for them to lose weight. I can't see the Stomaphyx lending anything to you, nor the bypass revision. For best possible and lasting results you should be looking at DS. Travel is a bummer. but why put yourself through yet another procedure they may or may not work? Reseacrh your DS surgeons and see who you can find that is close to you. Best wishes on your decision.

Cathi Roskind
mipo1
on 3/16/09 1:25 am - Lowell, MA
Thank you ALL!!    I guess I need to contact the Dr's office and let them know I won't be having the procedure so stop fighting with the Ins.  I think I had pretty much made up my mind not to have it done but wanted some reinforcing advice from the people who have "been there done that"  My Dr is a great guy VERY nice and his office staff is great  but for now I guess I'll look at other solutions.   Thank you all again for taking the time to respond
Zee Starrlite
on 3/16/09 4:27 am
Whew!  I'm so glad you were convinced to cancel that costly and heartbreaking revision.  Everyone who has had one of these Stomphyx, ROSE, Scholotherapy (yeah, my spelling of these stupid revisions is wrong) should be given a refund with a bonus for pain and suffering.

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active