HELP!! Stomaphyx or push for ERNY ?

mipo1
on 3/13/09 4:50 pm - Lowell, MA
I need input from people who have had the Stomaphyx procedure.    I have a VERY dilated stoma  but  also my original RNY only bypassed 60cm.   My BMI is back to 40 and I very much need some sort of intervention.  My surgeon is pushing the Stomaphyx and is actively discouraging  any surgical revision of my original RNY (over 10 years ago) due to the frequency and severity of complications.  PLEASE people out there, is Stomaphyx successful in bringing the feeling of restriction /satiety back?  Does it last , how many months post procedure are you ?  Have you continued to lose weight?   or should I look for another surgeon who will do the ERNY.   
daylont
on 3/13/09 5:17 pm
I have not had the stomaphyx, but when I began my journey for a revision that was what I was looking at. I have done extensive research on this procedure and the ROSE procedure and they just came out with some stats on it. It has not been very successful and what I have read is that it does not hold. Most people only lose a small amount of weight and  it lasts about a year. The most that most people lost was about 8,000 dollars. If you are going to go through a revision I would say research all of the different surgeries and choose the one you think may best suit you and your needs. All of our goals are the same LONG TERM RESULTS!! Good luck with your research and I hope  it all turns out the way you want it to.
Nita S.
on 3/13/09 11:55 pm - Avondale, AZ
I had both a year apart from each other, I would do the ERNY if at all possible.  Stomaphyx has helped with SOME restriction, but I am losing the regain with my ERNY.

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

lauralisi
on 3/14/09 2:26 am - Dona Ana, NM
Hi,
I had the stomaphyx. It was a useless waste of $8,000. 
Save your money for something more effective.
I am also planning a revision-a ds.  I am curious, why are you thinking of the erny as opposed to a ds?
Please, don't think I am critical of your choice.  I'm just seeking info.
Best of luck to you is your quest for better health. After all, that's why we're all here-to support each other in that pursuit.
mipo1
on 3/15/09 1:29 am - Lowell, MA
There are no DS surgeons in my state.  There are prescious few  Dr's to do RNY revisions  too.
lauralisi
on 3/15/09 2:28 am - Dona Ana, NM
I certainly understand.  There are none here either, so I'm going to have to travel.  Darn!
Again, I wish you every success.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/14/09 7:49 am
You should be aware of all the options. I would especially look into the DS.
pepsi98
on 3/14/09 9:48 am - Norwich, CT
On March 13, 2009 at 11:50 PM Pacific Time, mipo1 wrote:
I need input from people who have had the Stomaphyx procedure.    I have a VERY dilated stoma  but  also my original RNY only bypassed 60cm.   My BMI is back to 40 and I very much need some sort of intervention.  My surgeon is pushing the Stomaphyx and is actively discouraging  any surgical revision of my original RNY (over 10 years ago) due to the frequency and severity of complications.  PLEASE people out there, is Stomaphyx successful in bringing the feeling of restriction /satiety back?  Does it last , how many months post procedure are you ?  Have you continued to lose weight?   or should I look for another surgeon who will do the ERNY.   
Please...do not waste your money on Stomaphyx!!!  I had it and tossed $10,500 down the toilet.  I have had a lap band placed over my old gastric staplng as a revision and so far I am happy with my decision.

Reaserch ALL your options and choose what fits into your life...that's what I did and I am happy with it.  Weight loss is slow, but that is ok with me.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

StacysMom
on 3/14/09 8:07 pm
 You might want to take a look at this article before deciding on your revision surgery.  It's very current  research, from February 2008:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3886208/Great-article-on -RNY-revisions-from-Bariatric-Journal/
pseward
on 3/14/09 11:57 pm
I had a Stomaphyx at the end of Sept. I lost 10,000 dollars and only 15lb and now I have gained that + 15 lbs and am in the process of trying to get a revision, the stomaphyx was a simple non invasive procedure and that was why I got it done also, but no restriction at all. good luck with you decision.
Most Active