Why all the fuss?

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/09 3:08 am - AZ

Shele,

You go girl ! I don't think they will ever get it. I am so glad that you posted. I think more people should step up to the plate and let this crap stop. We are here to help people in a nice and kind way. Your right we all a choice but some people don't see it that way. I want to have good health but with all this bicker going on how can anyone have peace of mind. I would love to hear your story and I bet I could learn something from you. Thanks for posting.

Dawn

shele
on 3/13/09 3:27 am, edited 3/13/09 3:28 am
Thanks Dawn. I have been a member since 04. I have seen this stuff time and again.  I quit posting once it got so bad, but that only hurt me.  I take from others what I can , and give as I can to support others.  I haven't seen anything on here and I have been on the revisions board for well over 2 years, I just have been a lurker.  I was afraid all the regain I had was all my fault. Once I learned that it wasn't I started talking a little.

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/09 6:01 am - AZ
On March 13, 2009 at 10:27 AM Pacific Time, shele wrote:
Thanks Dawn. I have been a member since 04. I have seen this stuff time and again.  I quit posting once it got so bad, but that only hurt me.  I take from others what I can , and give as I can to support others.  I haven't seen anything on here and I have been on the revisions board for well over 2 years, I just have been a lurker.  I was afraid all the regain I had was all my fault. Once I learned that it wasn't I started talking a little.

I'm glad that you haven't seen it so it didn't need to annoy you but I have seen it and experienced it.  When I had my original surgery I wanted to go to Mexico.  My surgeon had the best stats and he had everything I was looking for.  He's also driving distance from my home.  I was PMed by Joyce.  She was telling me the horrors of Mexico and how I shouldn't go there and especially when Simpson is so close to me and is sooo good.  Guess who Joyce was working for that year?  Yeah, Simpson.

She was dead wrong about Mexicali, MX, she was dead wrong that Simpson was a better surgeon for me.  I went with my research and I didn't want to go to Simpson.  I didn't like the way he does things for aftercare, it's not wrong the way he does it but it's not my preference.  Since it was my money and my health care, I went with the one I wanted.

What you see on the boards is just a small part of it, it's also the PMs trying to drum up business for specific doctors.  That's not what a support board is supposed to be.

According to Schlesinger's office one member here posting is not a patient advocate as StacysMom writes, they told ME she is an "office advocate."  What's an office advocate?  Someone who advocates for the office, right?

Just more of the same, drumming up business for doctors.  Why not get back to what this board is supposed to be about?  Support vs. freebie advertising.

StacysMom
on 3/13/09 6:11 am
 I stand corrected!  You are right - it's "office advocate", NOT "patient advocate".   My mistake.  Thanks for  noticing that.  

Any way you slice it, though, it's someone who promotes business and procures patients for that doctor's office, and therefore has a vested interest in appearing like a WLS success, even when she is not.
brandyII
on 3/13/09 5:12 am
Shele,

I joined a few of these forums about a year ago for one main reason because I was a failure with my lapband and saw people singing the high praises and "loving" it so much at one point I felt that some of these people had to be paid or why would they be that enthusiastic!  When I was in the "other" forum many times I felt as if I was attacked because obviously "I" was doing something wrong because I was gaining as opposed to losing.  It wasn't until I was able to get to a revision section where I was treated with "dignity" that I deserved.

I also joined forums because my 20 year old had the RNY last year and if there were any issues I was able to ask and get answers quickly and everyone on the RNY forums were really helpful and I didn't have to deal with any drama aspects of the forums because I was asking basic questions on behalf of my daughter.

When you revise, like I'm attempting to do now even though I already had my band removed I appreciate a revision site otherwise I would feel like I was in limbo somehow.  I'm not really a "newbie" in the true sense of newbie becasue I still have a lot to learn about the RNY even though I should already know as much as there is to know.

Basically I want to stay out of drama and have tried on this forum as I know from other posts that it can get pretty wicked here, lol!  Not necessarily here but in the main forum.

I am still a bit concerned about my success with the RNY and would like some of the details of why you are getting the ERNY and is that basically making your stoma tighter?  Thanks and good luck, as we all know sometimes it is luck that gets us there as well as hard work!  Thanks brandyII.

shele
on 3/13/09 5:21 am
I am getting a revison due to technical failure of MY rny.  My stoma is dialated, my pouch is elongated, and I did have an ulcer at one point.  I decided that the erny was the way for Me to go. I never lost to goal weight.  I started regain at an early stage.

Good luck with your journey!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

StacysMom
on 3/13/09 5:39 am
 The ERNY typically does not deal with the stoma or pouch.  The procedure shortens the common channel of the intestines to provide for more malabsorption.   Some surgeons may opt to do limited stoma or pouch alterations while they are in there, but I have read on OH that most ERNY patients have their pouch left "as is".  

I have read where the lapband has been very successful for some people where others think of it as a "hangman's noose" and they couldn't wait to get it out of them.

Quite a few lapbanders are now revising to the gastric sleeve, which limited research has shown to be of equal success to the RNY in terms of weight loss and regain, at a few years out.  With the sleeve, there is no stoma or pouch and no malabsorption, but it has the benefit of the greater curvature of the stomach being cut away and removed.    This portion of the stomach is where Grehlin, the hunger hormone is produced, and the sleeve patients have found this to be very  helpful in achieving success with the surgery.  With the RNY, the body is still churning out Grehlin, 24/7, so the hunger would still be there, only the pouch would be able to hold a tiny portion of the food one desires.   Once the pouches stretch out and the intestines become more proficient at absorption, some RNY folks run into problems and weight gain down the line.   Something to think about when deciding on which surgery would work the best for you.  

Depending on the reasons the lapband didn't work for you, there are several options of revision surgery available (it's really conversion, not revision - as you are converting to an entirely different type of WLS).   You may want to contact MidwesternGirl, who is a recent lapband to sleeve conversion.   She hated the band and loves the sleeve, from what I've read.

I hope this answers some of your questions.
brandyII
on 3/13/09 5:49 am
Thanks Stacysmom,

But I'm pretty sure the malabsorption will help me like it did my daughter.  I know midwesterngirl from another forum and the sleeve was great for her but I wouldn't do well with that one either.  Thanks brandyII.
brandyII
on 3/13/09 5:46 am
Thanks shele,

So once the stoma is stretched they can't tighten it?  Just curious.  I'm very familar with strictures and how they are stretched out during endocopies as my daughter had them done.  Wasn't sure if it could be tightened in some way.

shele
on 3/13/09 5:54 am
There are procedures that do tighten the stoma, but not everyone has had success with doing that.  That was actually the first thing I checked into, it was very expensive and not covered by insurance.  I'm sure some have had success I just don't know anyone off hand.

rose
stomaphyx
and there is another I think( not sure of the spelling)

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Most Active