Revised my RNY and stayed the same !!!!!

latinasoi
on 3/11/09 10:42 pm, edited 3/12/09 2:18 am - Orlando, FL
Any suggestions to my failure, Any advice? I believe my revision was just fixing my enlarged stoma, and thats it!!!!  But as the days went by, I was getting very hungry and the protein shakes were not doing it anymore.  When I saw my Doctor at my first post op, he asked me if I get hungry, so I honestly said yes and he looked at me in amazement, and said....it's all in my mind. I don't know about you guys, but when I'm hungry, it could be ravenous, I need help and I mean yesterday, it's not all in my mind, I am hungry all the time, no atter what I eat.

OTHERWISE I GIVE UP!!!!!!
JRinAZ
on 3/12/09 1:21 am - Layton, UT
Another surgeon's opinion?  Maybe pack your pouch with lean mean proteins as well as the protein drinks?  How about hopping over to the [email protected] support site and get some motivation and information on how to whittle it down.?

You're in my thoughts & prayers sweetie pie!  I usually beat the heck out of a pillow or something and then rock in the corner for a while with such overwhelming worries as that.  Maybe some counseling, support group time and/or depression meds would be better for both of us?  What d'ya think?

Keep us posted and let us help you at least with the head stuff!!

Joyce
DrHusted
on 3/12/09 10:32 am - Phoenix, AZ
Recognize, too, that operations have their inherent limits, and gastric btpass certainly has its limits. Making a better mousetrap out of the basic mousetrap that failed you the first time may not be the best approach. Consider the concept of "metabolic failure", namely, that the basic concept of your original operation was inadequate to address the contribution that your metabolism made to your being obese in the first place. I recommend you research the duodenal switch procedure.

John D Husted, MD
Dr. John Husted

DISCLAIMER:  I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines.  Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!
StacysMom
on 3/12/09 3:46 pm
 Thank you, Dr. Husted, for FINALLY offering some information for those on this board who have been manipulated and convinced by their trusted surgeon that the surgery the patient wants (the DS) is dangerous for them to have.   So many people have travelled far distances to get the "RNY to ERNY" revision surgery which has only afforded them a 50 lb weight loss, when quite a few really still want to lose 100 lbs or more.   

So many RNY'ers have been misinformed by their surgeons that the DS is "impossible" to do for them, but I've read from patients of yours that you indeed DO this operation and have been successful with it.   Potential revisioners need to know this.   They need to hear the truth.     

At last, a REAL DS surgeon, commenting on the Revisions board.   We've needed you here for some time now!   W-E-L-C-O-M-E !!!   
latinasoi
on 3/12/09 9:20 pm - Orlando, FL
Thank you Dr.Husted for your post.  I was under the impression that a  RNY'er couldn't convert to a DS.  I was told due to me not having a certain valve, (FORGET THE NAME). That is the surgery I really wanted.  I suffer from Metabollic Syndrome, is it even worth me pursuing surgery???

Annette
StacysMom
on 3/12/09 9:49 pm
 It's the pyloric valve.   The RNY surgery takes it out of usage when your body utilizes the pouch and stoma, instead of an actual functioning stomach.   I have read that sometimes the functioning comes back and sometimes it doesn't.

Dr. Husted, is there some kind of test a doctor can do to ascertain if this valve will work again? 
StacysMom
on 3/12/09 3:38 pm
 Your hunger is NOT in your mind!  As long as your blind stomach is still churning out Grehlin (the hunger hormone) 24/7, you will continue to be hungry.   You will continue to want to stuff yourself with food.   The only thing your revision did for you, is change your intestines to absorb less of the calories, nutrients and vitamins from the food that you do eat.   If you had opted for the DS surgery, the portion of your stomach where the majority of Grehlin is produced would have been removed and it would be one less thing for you to struggle with.  It is NOT in your head.   Don't you just love when someone tells YOU how YOU should be feeling?  I'll just bet your doctor doesn't perform the DS surgery, so he probably had a vested interest in convincing you that the revision that he DOES do was the one for you!   

The ERNY revision is not the panacea that so many patients of ONE certain surgeon in AZ claim it to be (and they post on OH that they are so pleased with their outcomes and then write on other boards about their problems and lack of weight loss, or in one case, excessive weight loss!.)

I am so sorry to hear that this surgery was not the help you expected it to be.  Revisions always lose slower.   You will need to amend your eating habits in order to "help" the surgery help you.  

I do appreciate your honesty about this surgery, though.   I wi**** had been more successful for you, but it is important for prospective revisioners to see the reality of what this surgery will do for them, and not just read about the phony successes that so many patients of a certain doctor have excessively written about on these forums.  
LosingSally
on 3/12/09 4:46 pm, edited 3/12/09 4:47 pm
Reply to mom.....
She doesn't have ERNY. Read the lady's post please.
She clearly stated that her surgeon ONLY TIGHTENED HER STOMA!!!

Your agenda is leading you to answer posts that you didn't read, or didn't understand. Her intestines weren't changed.
StacysMom
on 3/12/09 5:07 pm, edited 3/12/09 5:10 pm
 She said that that's what she "THINKS" - she doesn't really know what was done.   She needs to ask the doctor or read her surgical notes.  But, you're right - I thought she had a full revision.   I have been reading her posts since last summer and watching her progress, as I have with many others.  She had written things several months ago which led me to believe that more was being done, she was so excited to have this revision.   I stand corrected.  

Here is exactly what she said last year shortly before her revision:

"All I know is that he said that he was going to basically re-do the RNY,  get rid of the diseased part of them stomach, reduce the size of the pouch, correct the stoma, and I have to ask if he could bypass more intestine.  So I will be gutted out like an old apartment building and hopefully become a new age condominium.  We'll see." 

That is why I thought she probably had more intestine bypassed, even if she wasn't aware of it - she wasn't "sure" of what had been done to her in this current thread.

What I've said in my post is still pertinent to anyone looking to revise from RNY.   The information is basic and not specific to anyone's case.    The truth is that few distal or ERNY revisioners have lost more than 50 lbs from their revision surgeries (no matter how much they had yet to lose) and the ones (2) who have lost more have very specific situations which hardly apply to anyone else.    
 And, you're right, she could probably use some more malabsorption.   If she had learned the lingo and asked the "right" questions of her surgeon, maybe she could have gotten the outcome that she wanted from her surgery.   Although with the ERNY, I doubt it - no one else really has.  Maybe she would have been the first.  Once again, research is the key.   You  have said that you think everyone who is about to undergo surgery does their due diligence.   This is just one example of how that is just not the case.   Many people simply trust their doctor to do things for them, but the doctor is not in their shoes and not living their life.  

This woman seemed prepared.   She knew about the increased malabsorption.   She even asked her doctor about it.  Why didn't she get what she wanted?  Maybe her doctor talked her out of the malabsorptive component?  Maybe he told her she didn't "need" it?

The outcomes from these revision surgeries have been interesting to watch.   I've watched people post for almost a year about how excited they are about getting a new chance, a "revision" and then watched the same people come back onto the boards all depressed because their revision didn't work for them and it was clear that they didn't get what they wanted or expected.   I've watched people go from RNY to Stomaphyx to DS.   From VGB to Stomaphyx to lapband.    From VGB to DS.   From RNY to Stomaphyx to ERNY to still being unsuccessful.  From RNY to DS.   From lapband to RNY to lapband again.   From lapband to sleeve.  This has been an eye-opening and learning experience for me to watch unfold.    

My point is to encourage others to do research so that maybe, maybe people won't be so depressed with their surgical outcomes.   Everyone is different, but maybe they will have an idea of what to expect, if they understand the procedures and know what questions to ask.    You have posted truths about your personal experience and I respect that more than you know.   

mew6495
on 3/13/09 2:38 pm - MI
On March 12, 2009 at 10:38 PM Pacific Time, StacysMom wrote:
 Your hunger is NOT in your mind!  As long as your blind stomach is still churning out Grehlin (the hunger hormone) 24/7, you will continue to be hungry.   You will continue to want to stuff yourself with food.   The only thing your revision did for you, is change your intestines to absorb less of the calories, nutrients and vitamins from the food that you do eat.   If you had opted for the DS surgery, the portion of your stomach where the majority of Grehlin is produced would have been removed and it would be one less thing for you to struggle with.  It is NOT in your head.   Don't you just love when someone tells YOU how YOU should be feeling?  I'll just bet your doctor doesn't perform the DS surgery, so he probably had a vested interest in convincing you that the revision that he DOES do was the one for you!   

The ERNY revision is not the panacea that so many patients of ONE certain surgeon in AZ claim it to be (and they post on OH that they are so pleased with their outcomes and then write on other boards about their problems and lack of weight loss, or in one case, excessive weight loss!.)

I am so sorry to hear that this surgery was not the help you expected it to be.  Revisions always lose slower.   You will need to amend your eating habits in order to "help" the surgery help you.  

I do appreciate your honesty about this surgery, though.   I wi**** had been more successful for you, but it is important for prospective revisioners to see the reality of what this surgery will do for them, and not just read about the phony successes that so many patients of a certain doctor have excessively written about on these forums.  
 You assume that if a person has an ERNY it will be a failure regardless of what doctor was chosen and that there are no successes out there associated with it as you ONLY post the negative about the procedure itself and the majority of your post surrounds only one persons experience with it.  It is obvious that you keep delving up one poor women's unfortunate experience with it over and over and over again to try substantiate you position.    This type of information is not truth, it borders on obsession and Sally is absolutely correct in stating that jumping in on absolutely every post that might have something positive to say about a procedure you are apparently dead against is disrespectful and in so many words treats individuals like they are stupid and do not have the ability to make a decision on their own.  Post surgical issues can and do occur with any type of wls procedure.  I never see you post about the good things about revisions other then the DS.  You go out of your way to discredit anyone who says they have had a positive experience with ERNY, trying to insinuate that they must be lying if they state that it has worked for them.  The DS is not for everyone.  I am not saying it is not an effective and good procedure but there are many reasons that drive peoples decisions for their choice of revision, stemming from their personal cir****tances and what they think is best for their situation and what they can live with.  From all the ERNY's performed you seem to pull your "facts" only from the few who post here rather then out of the many who either don't post or are frequenting other boards.  Who are you to decide what is a success or not a success for any other person then yourself?  Please give us more credit then assuming that because we chose differently then you would for yourself that we did not do our research or are not capable of doing our research therefore not capable of making a valid decision for ourselves.

Most Active