Giving up on my Revision

latinasoi
on 3/11/09 3:45 am - Orlando, FL
I had revision surgery on 11/24/2008, I lost 14 pounds the first 2 weeks, lost a total of about 22 pounds. almost 4 months down the line and I am gaining again...... My sugars are off the charts, my blood pressure uncontrollable, my anxiety level is unexplainable.  I just feel disgusted, sick, dissapointed. FED UP!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I didn't  have the correct revision, maybe I'm just not meant to be skinny
Sis'ta "T" Bone
on 3/11/09 4:21 am - Miami, FL
Dear Latina,

Please do not give up on your health!  I know things seem bleak, but the brightest day is just before the break of dawn.  You did not mention what type of revision procedure you had, but it won't hurt to have your doctor to do bloodwork to see if there may be other factors contributing to your setback.

My sister who had bypass surgery in 2006, is still battling hypertension.  After seeing a cardiologist, it was suggested she have her kidneys check because this could be a reason for the elevated BP. 

So again, don't give up, just channel your energy into finding out what the contributing factors may be.  And remember, the Creator of all good and perfect gifts desires' for us to have a long and prosperous life - He doesn't want anything that would lessen your perception of who He is or what He wants for our quality of life...  

Be encourage, my sister! 
Sis'ta Thick-Bone from Sunny So. FL
Believing that God's intentions are for us to prosper. (I Corr. 2:9)

jml7117
on 3/11/09 4:35 am - Groves, TX
I had my revision on Dec 1.  I have had nothing but trouble.  I have been so sick from not eating and throwing up it almost makes me crazy.  Not to mention I ended up back in the hospital on February 6th for an abcess on my stomach.  I did not want to have the revision i was just going to stay 220 for the rest of my life but my stomach was pushing on my heart so I had to. I am finally feeling somewhat better and I have lost 46 lbs but I still do not feel normal.  We all have our cir****tances you just hang in there and like me I am working on staying positive. PLease e-mail me at any time if you ever just want to chat.  [email protected].  We will get thru this.  Take care of you !!
Jeanne
StacysMom
on 3/11/09 6:46 am
 What kind of revision did you have?  Do you know what the doctor did?
Monique H.
on 3/11/09 7:26 am
I just had to jump in and say something. I just had my rny revision to make me a distal instead of a proximal. My first post op visit was great because I had lost 22 pounds (that was because I was too sick to eat and had just been drinking water. I went back 2 weeks later and had gained a pound. I started losing and gaining the same 5 pounds and that is the same place I am 2 months after surgery. I thought to myself that I'm just made to be fat, and don't get me started on how I felt about my surgeon and why did I let him do my surgery again after my losing stopped after 6 months the first time. I was and am still angry, frustrated and confused. Right now I concentrate on just eating meat, eggs, cheese and maybe a few bites of vegetables. I'm doing water aerobics and try to get in some time on the treadmill before that. I have determined in my mind that I'm going to be the most healthy 249 lb woman there is. I'm trying to find a therapist and a nutritionist in my area. If I don't get this weight off it won't be because I didn't try. I just want to say DON'T GIVE UP!! We can try to do this together. Don't get me wrong, I feel like posting on here all the time about how discourage, depressed, and how much of a failure I am. When I did do that I got a lot of encouragement to keep me going and I'm hoping I can do the same for you. So hang in there. You CAN make it.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Valerieb09
on 3/11/09 12:41 pm - Seacoast, NH
It's too bad you live so far away.  I would highly recommend my surgeon, Dr. David Lautz at the Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston.  He takes on a lot of other doctors "mistakes" and fixes them.  He has patients from all over.  He is pretty well known in New England plus the Brigham is one of the Top Ten Hospitals in the country.  They even have patients come from other countries.  They are considered an "international" hospital in the medical world.

Valerie

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

Kim E.
on 3/12/09 1:25 pm - VA
I am gong from a lap to an RNY... and was wondering how much of the common channel do you have?  I want it to still work 3 years from now.....

PS your revision date on your profile is off a year  ;-)

thanks

Kim 

Lap Band March 2007- SW = 310
DS - 4/24/09 - SW = 255
CW = 175
GW = 160
Colon Cancer Survivor and Obesity Survivor - Can't do much better then that !!  ENJOY !!!

StacysMom
on 3/12/09 4:16 pm, edited 3/12/09 4:34 pm
Latinasol,

YOU are NOT a failure!!  The revision surgery failed you!  With the exception of one certain doctor's patients who use these boards as free advertising for their doctor, everyone else who has had their RNY revised to make their common channel shorter has not found great success with it.   

I have been reading these boards for over two years now and have not seen the RNY to distal or ERNY revision work for anyone who has more than 50 lbs to lose.   And, even that degree of weight loss was for people who had their common channels made 75 cm or shorter!  

One woman with the 50 cm common channel lost more weight than she wanted, is fighting to keep her weight ON and has been sick for over a year.  

Another woman with a 75 cm common channel says she has lost 120 lbs (but it might be questionable since she is confused much of the time and she is part of a doctor's advertising posse on here that lies and exaggerates to procure more business for said doctor).  She also mentioned in previous postings shortly after her ERNY revision, that the doctor told her she was never bypassed much during her original RNY, so her revision was more like a VIRGIN surgery, which explains why she has lost more than the others.  She was still SMO even after her original RNY.

It would be advisable for anyone considering a revision from an RNY to something else to read back on these forums and see what the threads say, note the details and not just base such an important decision on what someone is telling them "right now" on any given forum.   Investigate what that same person said several months ago, find out how reliable they are, read their profile, etc.  

Don't even listen to what your surgeon says, unless your surgeon REALLY, TRULY does do ALL of the available surgeries (and even then, get a second opinion).   Don't let the doctor do the "bait & switch" on you, where they get you into the office by telling you that they do "all surgeries" and then convince you that only the revision which they actually do is the "best" choice for you.  

And, don't let the insurance company dictate what is best for you.  The insurance company won't want to pay again when whatever surgery they paid for stops working for you at 4 years out.  Nor will it be their stomach which needs to get cut open again!

Think twice (or three times) and cut ONCE!   Why let everyone else make your decision for you?  It's your body.    Instead of thinking about the "best case scenario" - think about the worst!  What are your options if the surgery fails you?   What will you do then?  What's  plan "B"?   It may sound pessimistic, but everyone thinks  "best case scenario" whenever they start a new diet and NONE of those ever worked!!   That's not a paradigm that works.  

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/09 7:14 pm - AZ
On March 12, 2009 at 11:16 PM Pacific Time, StacysMom wrote:
Latinasol,

YOU are NOT a failure!!  The revision surgery failed you!  With the exception of one certain doctor's patients who use these boards as free advertising for their doctor, everyone else who has had their RNY revised to make their common channel shorter has not found great success with it.   

I have been reading these boards for over two years now and have not seen the RNY to distal or ERNY revision work for anyone who has more than 50 lbs to lose.   And, even that degree of weight loss was for people who had their common channels made 75 cm or shorter!  

One woman with the 50 cm common channel lost more weight than she wanted, is fighting to keep her weight ON and has been sick for over a year.  

Another woman with a 75 cm common channel says she has lost 120 lbs (but it might be questionable since she is confused much of the time and she is part of a doctor's advertising posse on here that lies and exaggerates to procure more business for said doctor).  She also mentioned in previous postings shortly after her ERNY revision, that the doctor told her she was never bypassed much during her original RNY, so her revision was more like a VIRGIN surgery, which explains why she has lost more than the others.  She was still SMO even after her original RNY.

It would be advisable for anyone considering a revision from an RNY to something else to read back on these forums and see what the threads say, note the details and not just base such an important decision on what someone is telling them "right now" on any given forum.   Investigate what that same person said several months ago, find out how reliable they are, read their profile, etc.  

Don't even listen to what your surgeon says, unless your surgeon REALLY, TRULY does do ALL of the available surgeries (and even then, get a second opinion).   Don't let the doctor do the "bait & switch" on you, where they get you into the office by telling you that they do "all surgeries" and then convince you that only the revision which they actually do is the "best" choice for you.  

And, don't let the insurance company dictate what is best for you.  The insurance company won't want to pay again when whatever surgery they paid for stops working for you at 4 years out.  Nor will it be their stomach which needs to get cut open again!

Think twice (or three times) and cut ONCE!   Why let everyone else make your decision for you?  It's your body.    Instead of thinking about the "best case scenario" - think about the worst!  What are your options if the surgery fails you?   What will you do then?  What's  plan "B"?   It may sound pessimistic, but everyone thinks  "best case scenario" whenever they start a new diet and NONE of those ever worked!!   That's not a paradigm that works.  

StacysMom,

I am the one that posted that I had the 75cm common channel with a 120 weight loss. Than you have to bring it up in your post to this other person. You act like all the newbies are stupid people. I am not confused. I can read all your nasty post to Loosing Sally. You talked about you never put people down . Your a outright  liar ! You put me down all the time and say I am confused. I never lied to anyone on Obesity Help and I have been confused at times because of my pain meds. I am having my knee replaced next month or 2. I have not posted in a week or so due to the pain. Yes I do get confused at times due to pain meds and a a possible small stroke that I had years ago. But does not give you the right to to put me down all the time along with MWG. You have missed the whole purpose of this site. It is for newbies or anyone to ask questions or just to post what ever they want. You keep talking about doing research all the time. You really have not done your job if I am confused and other people are confused on what exact surgery they had. Sally is nailing you to the wall and you don't like it. People don't want to post because of you and MWG. You guys will attack anyone. Have you ever  posted about your surgery ? You don't tell us a thing. But people on this site talk about their issue and you guys go wild on them. Your the liar on this site . I am so sick of all this fake proof you have. If you don't have nothing nice to say shut your mouth. Oh, you said early tonight that I am doing a great job with my weight loss. Your a liar because you don't really mean it and I am not tell you how to post. I agree with Sally's post tonight.  Have a great night.

Dawn

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/09 10:21 am - Togo
Dawn, do you ever stop complaining?! I just saw you *****ing on another post too. Are you hormonal, honey?

Most Active