ERNY Info Needed

Regina Ping
on 3/8/09 7:56 am - Vero Beach, FL
Please, can someone give some honest info about this procedure.  I don't want to be mislead with info that is incorrect. 

I am not familiar with this procedure and I am interested in obtaining more info on what it entails and how it can benefit me since I had a RNY in 2006.

Thanks,
Regina
mew6495
on 3/8/09 8:47 am - MI
 ERNY is where they convert your proximal rny and sometime distal rny.  It only effects the malabsorption part of the tool and the pouch is left in tact.  The doctor will shorten you common channel, typically somewhere between 75 cm and 100 cm.  It is considered less risky then converting to a DS or to a procedure where they have to take down your pouch.  You will have to up you vitamins plus add ADE&K as supplements.  It typically causes softer or looser bowels but not diarrhea.  I have a BM about 2 times a day.  There has been one poster who has claimed to have body order but she has also been revised to a 50 cm CC and the only one I have read of who has had this short of a cc.  This poster is the only person I have heard of experiencing this issue.  For the majority of ERNY revisioners, I don't believe this is an issue.  You will need to up your protein and as with any wls watch the carbs.  Fatty foods and oil are not a problem as your body does not absorb it.

Not sure what specific information you are seeking.  PM me and I will be glad to give you any "honest" details you want.

ginau
on 3/10/09 10:36 am - mesa, AZ
Hey Marie

Darn your good !!!

Yep that about sums it all up for me too. 

I am sure the procedure and  options depends on the Dr you choose.  I am happy with my ERNY !!!!

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

mew6495
on 3/10/09 11:26 am - MI
 Thank You Jeanna!  How the heck are you?  I hope life is treating you good and all is well.  Any new protein powder suggestions you care to pass along?  The ones you suggested to me last year were pretty good.  I love the one with the flat root beer! 

ginau
on 3/10/09 1:17 pm - mesa, AZ
Hey Lady

I am pretty good . Currently back in school  working on a new career.  This time I am going  medical. 

I have been using a lot of Muscle Milk products - GNC has some good deals if you buy online.  I have been getting 2 lb containers for about $23.00

So far  I have tried  Brownie batter, Horchata , and Peach / mango   Oh and  Cake batter.

GinaU aka Jeanna 

-

Regina Ping
on 3/11/09 7:19 am - Vero Beach, FL
One question I have is.........what was your starting weight before you had your initial weight loss surgery?  Also, how low was your weight before you starting gaining weight back and decided on the revision? 
Thanks,
Regina
JRinAZ
on 3/11/09 7:32 am - Layton, UT
On March 11, 2009 at 2:19 PM Pacific Time, Regina Ping wrote:
One question I have is.........what was your starting weight before you had your initial weight loss surgery?  Also, how low was your weight before you starting gaining weight back and decided on the revision? 
Thanks,
Regina
Before original WLS (2/11/03) 278 at 5'4"
Stayed around 132-135 for about 2 years then gained up to 150 where I hovered another year.
Regained to 160  in 3rd year post-op and began investigating revision options.
Weighed 172 morning of Revision to Erny on 12/26/07  My surgery was done as a medical necessity and not just an elective Revision.
Currently at 112 with a 3 lb float both directions.  I weigh EVERY day...which works for me.  I tackle the loss OR the gain immediately now.
My common channel is 50.  With such a shortened common channel; I have had challenging  hurdles as a post-op.  I have found solutions that handle these issues well and have committed to being VERY compliant for LIFE.
I live a low carb lifestyle religiously.
My Erny has had a bumpy journey BUT I had it for many reasons other than the regain.  I am in complete remission from Diabetes and my heart, blood pressure and cholesterol are great for once!  I can eat like a maniac and stay within my weight zone.

Good luck on your own journey!  Keep researching.  Knowledge is power!

Arizona hugs,

Joyce
Regina Ping
on 3/11/09 7:18 am - Vero Beach, FL
Thanks,
Regina

mew6495
on 3/11/09 11:01 am - MI
On March 11, 2009 at 2:18 PM Pacific Time, Regina Ping wrote:
Thanks,
Regina

Hey Regina,

My starting weight prior to my original wls was 242 lbs.  I went down to 122 lbs at my lowest.  I am 5'3" tall.  I maintained for a few years then gained back up to 186  and tried the "normal" dieting methods to try and bring it back down.  The lowest I could get to was 172 and then even with all my efforts I gained a few lbs.  So I started researching revisions and which one would fit best into my life style.  The morning of my revision I was 179.  I am now only 10 lbs from my personal goal of 125 and only after 4.5 months.

During my procedure other issues were found, a large bowel obstruction, scar tissue and several adhesion's.  All repaired during the revision surgery.  I healed pretty quickly and have no regrets to date.  I had some diarrhea early out after the procedure but since it has stabilized to a satisfactory level for me.  I am a little low on protein and have to be very diligent with my vitamins.  I am really learning to "respect" my tool this time around and not take it so much for granted.

ginau
on 3/10/09 10:37 am - mesa, AZ

Do you have specific questions?   I dont know what you have or have not read on the subject. What is your Dr offering??

Marie's response is pretty accurate ..

GinaU aka Jeanna 

-

Most Active