revision recovery ?

pseward
on 3/8/09 1:35 am
I am planing a revision I was wondering how long the hospital stay and recovery? How long for the insurance company to approve? Anyone have revison from Dr. Alexander in Dallas, Tx?
allieoop
on 3/8/09 8:29 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hi there!

Dr. Alexander performed surgery on me last week.  I had to have a revision due to a jejunal diverticulum and it took about 2 1/2 months for my insurance to approve it.  But, I think that depends more on each individual insurance company.

My original procedure was a modified open procedure in January 2004 at RHD in Dallas.  This surgery was laproscopic and it was done at Pine Creek Medical Center in Dallas.  My surgery was on Wednesday (2/25) about noon and I went home late Friday afternoon.  I think he likes to send patients home late on the second day.  I went back to work this Wednesday for half a day and finished out the week.  I did okay, but I really should have taken the rest of the week off and returned to work for the first time tomorrow.  This was a much easier surgery for me than the first.  You still have to have a central line and have a JP drain, but they both come out before discharge.  And, I received EXCELLENT care at Pine Creek. 
Did Dr. A do your first surgery?

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks!
Allie
pseward
on 3/9/09 9:59 am
no my RYN was done at the Baratric Treatment Center. What is a jejunal diverticulum? so they can do the revision laproscopic ? I was thinking it had to be open? and they did it at the Pine Creek? I am having my EGD there on wed.
So you are really new revision? I want to make this quick I can not afford to be out of work for long. My originial was open and I took off two weeks of work and was in the hospitial 3 days, so sounds like the revision I can get away with less?
so how are you feeling now?
I hope my insurance approves me I was self pay the first time around it was 25,000 , and in sept this past year I paid 10,000 for a stomaphyx which did nothing. thanks for the feedback.
allieoop
on 3/9/09 1:43 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hi,

I'll try to explain the best I can.  A jejunal diverticulum is a pouch that develops in the portion of the intestine that is attached to the new stomach and is due to a weakness in the wall of the intestine.  Food was getting caught in the pouch and caused weight gain, then pain and vomiting.  Sometimes I would eat and be okay, other times I had severe pain and vomiting - I never knew when it would happen.  Dr. A said that it is a side effect that occurs in about 10% of RNY patients.  I had not heard that, so I did some research (I'm a nurse) and sure enough, I found documented evidence in medical journals about it.

Yes, I had my repair/revision as a laproscopic procedure at Pine Creek.  They provided excellent care, I have nothing but good things to say about the physicians and staff of the hospital.  I had to get two units of blood, but that was my own fault because I was so anemic before surgery.

I really did just have surgery a week ago Wednesday (2/25).  I have my post op appt. tomorrow in his office.  I went back to work Wednesday 3/4, one week later.  I'm a nurse manager, so I was able to do desk work and I did fine - I was tired, and I realize that it would have been ideal for me to take the rest of last week off, but I have done fine.  I took it easy over the weekend and went back to work today and worked from 7 am until 5:30 (a meeting went long).  I came home and worked on school work (I'm in graduate school online).  If that gives you any idea of my activity level.

Dr. Alexander is really great, I trust him, he is kind and is a great surgeon - I had a lot of scar tissue and he did a wonderful job.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Allie
Most Active