Band to VSG revision questions?Help me!

winningatlosing
on 3/6/09 10:56 pm
Long story short, I need my band removed due to slippage.  I have lost all the weight I wanted to.  I went to see a new surgeon (not the original one, he just wants to remove the band now and not leave me with a WLS tool!) and he suggested I revise to a sleeve when he removes the band (only 1 operation).  I had all the fluid drained over a month ago when I went for my annual EGD.  My insurance does not cover any WLS.  They are checking to see if it will at least pay for the band removal.
Anywho.... Has anyone been revised to a sleeve from a band?  Did you have 2 operations?  Any complications?  I am mostly worried that I have lost all the weight and do not want to loose another pound!  I just want to keep the weight off!
I have not gained any weight in the last month but its really been a struggle!
I am finally over the "why me?" phase and moving on the complete anger! 
Help me please
Thanks,
Kim
(deactivated member)
on 3/7/09 1:14 am - AZ
On March 7, 2009 at 6:56 AM Pacific Time, winningatlosing wrote:
Long story short, I need my band removed due to slippage.  I have lost all the weight I wanted to.  I went to see a new surgeon (not the original one, he just wants to remove the band now and not leave me with a WLS tool!) and he suggested I revise to a sleeve when he removes the band (only 1 operation).  I had all the fluid drained over a month ago when I went for my annual EGD.  My insurance does not cover any WLS.  They are checking to see if it will at least pay for the band removal.
Anywho.... Has anyone been revised to a sleeve from a band?  Did you have 2 operations?  Any complications?  I am mostly worried that I have lost all the weight and do not want to loose another pound!  I just want to keep the weight off!
I have not gained any weight in the last month but its really been a struggle!
I am finally over the "why me?" phase and moving on the complete anger! 
Help me please
Thanks,
Kim

I didn't have a slip I just hated the band and had sooo many problems with it.

I had a revision at goal weight from band to sleeve.  If you have the band removed you WILL regain, just know you will.  If we CAN eat we DO eat.

If you don't have any swelling or major problems there is little reason why you can't have it all done in one surgery.

Keep in mind that you get a revision in the same procedure you WILL lose more weight from band to sleeve.  The post op diet alone is going to do that.  I lost a lot more than I wanted to but did regain.

You'll want to go to a VERY good and very experienced *revision* surgeon, there aren't many of them around.  Leaks are the big complication with sleeves and the risk for a leak going from band to sleeve is 3x that of a virgin stomach.

I love the sleeve.  Maintenance free, I do not struggle in the least to maintain, no stoma spewing ;o), no slips, no erosion, none of it.  You get surgery and you are done for life.

I see you went to DeBarros, are you in Phoenix?

winningatlosing
on 3/7/09 8:15 am

Thanks for the info!  I am in the phoenix area. 
Why the bigger risk with band to sleeve?  I want to compare what I was told.  I am thinking the sleeve is the way to go.  I do not want a bypass of any kind.  I lost very well with my restrictive device, I think it would be overkill for me at this point. 

Dr Debarros wants to remove the band and wait and see if I can get another band.  I do not want another band. (my insurance excluded any WLS).  I would also have to pay more with him removing it.  I really did not have any problems with it until January, nearly 3 years of goodness.  I started having issues with most foods so I went to get an unfill.  We talked about how things changed and decided to do my annual EGD a bit early.  Well I woke up and was told my band needed to come out.  I went for a 2nd opinion, I was told that since I do not have any fluid in my band, I am not having any issues, I have not gained any weight and there is not erosion, that I do not need to rush to get it out.  I have time to decide what to do.  They could try to repostition it, but I think I want it out at this point. I was told I would lose weight, like you did from the post op diet.  I am really not wanting to have any surgery but I can't live with this thing too long!

I was told that since I there is no fluid in my band, I could have the sleeve done at the same time as the band removal.  He would do it all laproscopic so my thought is to just get it done.  I think I might actually try to gain a few pounds.  I know it sounds crazy but if you lost more weight  after the revision, I think I would too. 

Thanks again, your story is just what I needed to hear. I at least feel better knowing that things will get better!

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/09 9:14 am - AZ
On March 7, 2009 at 4:15 PM Pacific Time, winningatlosing wrote:

Thanks for the info!  I am in the phoenix area. 
Why the bigger risk with band to sleeve?  I want to compare what I was told.  I am thinking the sleeve is the way to go.  I do not want a bypass of any kind.  I lost very well with my restrictive device, I think it would be overkill for me at this point. 

Dr Debarros wants to remove the band and wait and see if I can get another band.  I do not want another band. (my insurance excluded any WLS).  I would also have to pay more with him removing it.  I really did not have any problems with it until January, nearly 3 years of goodness.  I started having issues with most foods so I went to get an unfill.  We talked about how things changed and decided to do my annual EGD a bit early.  Well I woke up and was told my band needed to come out.  I went for a 2nd opinion, I was told that since I do not have any fluid in my band, I am not having any issues, I have not gained any weight and there is not erosion, that I do not need to rush to get it out.  I have time to decide what to do.  They could try to repostition it, but I think I want it out at this point. I was told I would lose weight, like you did from the post op diet.  I am really not wanting to have any surgery but I can't live with this thing too long!

I was told that since I there is no fluid in my band, I could have the sleeve done at the same time as the band removal.  He would do it all laproscopic so my thought is to just get it done.  I think I might actually try to gain a few pounds.  I know it sounds crazy but if you lost more weight  after the revision, I think I would too. 

Thanks again, your story is just what I needed to hear. I at least feel better knowing that things will get better!

The reason for the increased risk with a revision from band to sleeve iss that with the band your body forms (much wanted) scar tissue from the band all the way to the port.  All that has to be dissected away and then the band removed, then the sleeve.

With all the extra dissection you stand a x3 risk of a leak vs. if they were working on a virgin stomach.  Leaks are already a risk, leaks from a revision have 3 times the chance to occur.

That's why you need the best of the best REVISION surgeon.

Sleeves are fantastic, I love mine.  It's worked well for me.  Best thing I ever did.  Maintenance (goal) is a piece of cake.  I love it.

You should join our Phoenix lunches.  It's just WLS folks from the Phoenix area.  We were meeting monthly and I kinda dropped that ball on that one but we've been talking about getting together and doing it again.

~~Sami~~ *.
on 3/7/09 1:56 am - Jacksonville, FL
I'm a Band to Sleeve revision and I know many others.  It was done in one operation.

I think it can be a great tool for you, especially if you were successful with the Band.  My only caution is to make sure that your surgeon uses a small bougie to size your sleeve (32 or 34F max).  I know of one girl (Luzceleste is her profile) who was revised from a Band to Sleeve at goal.  The surgeon used a slightly larger bougie size on her (I think 38F) because she was at goal, and she ended up gaining 50 pounds. :(

Good luck. :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/09 9:21 am - AZ
On March 7, 2009 at 9:56 AM Pacific Time, ~~Sami~~ *. wrote:
I'm a Band to Sleeve revision and I know many others.  It was done in one operation.

I think it can be a great tool for you, especially if you were successful with the Band.  My only caution is to make sure that your surgeon uses a small bougie to size your sleeve (32 or 34F max).  I know of one girl (Luzceleste is her profile) who was revised from a Band to Sleeve at goal.  The surgeon used a slightly larger bougie size on her (I think 38F) because she was at goal, and she ended up gaining 50 pounds. :(

Good luck. :)

There really isn't any statistical difference in weight loss and maintenance between a 32 and 38.  When you start getting to 60s then there is a huge difference.

I think that not all 32s, 34s, and 36s are alike.  I mean, there are people posting in that other thread that can eat a LOT of food yet they have a 32F just like me.  Yet I can only eat 2oz of solid protein.  I think some surgeons leave a lot more slack around the bougie than other surgeons.  Look at MacM and me, we can eat very limited quantities of food yet others with a 32F can eat a ton.

If the surgeon makes a tight sleeve it's just that, smaller.  If he leaves a lot of slack around the bougie before he cuts/staples it's going to hold more.

People don't understand why I suggest going to someone with 500 staple lines for experience and this is a good reason why.  Let 'em practice on someone else, this sleeve is for the rest of my life.  That's why I didn't use my insurance for my sleeve, I opted to self pay in Mexico.  It was a better choice for me and it worked.  I just didn't like any of the revision surgeons in Arizona.  I've been a nurse in this state for 25 years, I know who I'd be willing to go to and who I wouldn't. Thus, I self paid to MX.  From seeing the results of others I am once again positive I made the best choice.

babsintx
on 3/9/09 12:39 pm - GA
HI,

I am a band to sleeve revision. Had the band for 5 years and I will be celebrating my one year sleeve birthday soon. My surgery was done by a qualified revision surgeon in one porcedure. I have a 34 bougie size and I have done well. My surgery was more than 4 1/2 hours due to adhesions to my liver, a prolapse and hematoma formed by a too tight band. Took some time to make my new sleeve, but everything is working fine in there and I am happy !!

Babs

Most Active