Revision Options

Regina Ping
on 3/6/09 4:59 am - Vero Beach, FL

I have gotten some info on the DS and Lap-Band over a RNY, are there any other procedures out there for a revision?  I am trying to get all the info I can before making a decision.  Thanks for your help.
Regina

StacysMom
on 3/6/09 7:00 am
 There is also the ERNY, which leaves your pouch alone, but shortens the common channel (where your food gets absorbed) even shorter than with the DS.   It is easier to find a surgeon who performs the ERNY than the DS surgery and it is a less complicated surgery to do.    It only adds more malabsorption, though, and it doesn't decrease grehlin (the hunger hormone) production, like with the DS surgery.

Your choice for revision should take into account your particular issue.    If restriction works for you, then the band over RNY would be the way to go.    If you need more malabsorption (because it's not only the amounts, but food choices are a problem), then the DS or the ERNY.

Please note that there is NO ONE on the revisions board looking to revise from the DS to something else.

I strongly suggest that you post on the DS board for info on that surgery vs. the ERNY.  And, make sure you are getting info on the modern DS surgery, not the old BD/DS (Scopinaro) procedure, which a lot of people have had problems with  - and some of the problems are similar to those who have the ERNY with the short common channel.

A lot of doctors seem to confuse the modern Ds with the Scopinaro when they talk about side effects, etc.   It functions to convince the patient into getting whatever surgeries that they perform instead of the modern DS which is what the patient wants.

Only a handful of doctors in the US perform the RNY to DS revision, although a lot off offices will say that they do, just to get you in the door and then convince you that it is too dangerous and that you really want "XYZ" surgery that they do.   It happens so often that the DS board people have a name for it, the "bait & don't switch".    With our economy the way it is and people losing their jobs and their health insurance, there is more competition than ever by the doctors for elective surgeries.

Learn the lingo, memorize the diagrams and make sure that you can speak with your doctor about the surgery that YOU want, not what he or she wants to give you.

Curvy Barbie
on 3/7/09 12:13 pm - Covington, GA
T%hanks for the information I will also go to the DS forum as well as ask my Dr about ERNY. I never knew about that one.
StacysMom
on 3/7/09 1:43 pm
 I have been watching the progress of the ERNY'ers and there is only one woman who was really successful with it.   She had her common channel (where your food is digested) shortened down to only 50 cm.  She lost double  the weight she wanted to, but has had horrible side effects (can no longer work in an enclosed office because of the stench that comes through her skin, Eeew!).   The rest of the group, who have a 75 cm common channel  have lost only a small portion of the excess weight they needed to lose and some have slowed down to a stop (or a crawl) as early as 6-9 months out..   So, if you ONLY  have 50 or so lbs to lose, the ERNY may work for you.    Jus****ch the length of your common channel.  Even the ones who got the 75 cm one are still having bowel issues at 6-9 months out that they must continually take meds for.  

If you did well with your RNY when you had a nice, tight pouch, restriction alone may work for you, so then the lapband would be something to investigate.

Pepsi98 and coconut both had lapbands put over their RNYs.   If you see their posts, shoot one or both of them a PM and ask how they're doing.

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/09 10:00 am, edited 3/8/09 10:00 am
Yes, there are options and there are a rare few DS patients who have had so many issues with vitamin deficiencies they are seeking revision. Now, this coulod simply be from their lack of compliance to taking vitamins for all I know. Most DS'rs are very happy with their new way of life.

I mentioned a new procedure on the DS forum called VERGITO and it has caused WWIII on that site. They consider it the highest insult to mention anything but the DS on their site, especially by someone who works with the surgeon who offers an option. They also refer to it is investigational and unethical and on and on. Do your homework and check out all your options.

I can't mention anything about the surgeon because that makes me a troll and everything else. BUt his picture is always on the DS and revision forum and he is frequently shown on Discovery Health with his patients.

Cathi Roskind, RN, CBN
Bariatric Program DIrector
Can't tell you the name of the program as that is considered advertising. LOL
(deactivated member)
on 3/8/09 11:51 am, edited 3/9/09 3:15 am - AZ
On March 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM Pacific Time, BariatricRN wrote: Yes, there are options and there are a rare few DS patients who have had so many issues with vitamin deficiencies they are seeking revision. Now, this coulod simply be from their lack of compliance to taking vitamins for all I know. Most DS'rs are very happy with their new way of life.

I mentioned a new procedure on the DS forum called VERGITO and it has caused WWIII on that site. They consider it the highest insult to mention anything but the DS on their site, especially by someone who works with the surgeon who offers an option. They also refer to it is investigational and unethical and on and on. Do your homework and check out all your options.

I can't mention anything about the surgeon because that makes me a troll and everything else. BUt his picture is always on the DS and revision forum and he is frequently shown on Discovery Health with his patients.

Cathi Roskind, RN, CBN
Bariatric Program DIrector

Can't tell you the name of the program as that is considered advertising. LOL

You might as well have mentioned the name, it's not hard to find.  I am assuming that is why you used your name instead of Husted's?

www.commonwealthbariatriccenter.com/

I am interested in the VERGITO procedure.  Would you explain please?

Thx!

DSers... some of them on the DS site are pretty rabid, just ignore them like the rest of us do. ;o)

Most Active