EGD with Scelerotherapy

tturner
on 3/4/09 11:57 pm - Hazelwood, MO

I had RNY in March of 2003.  I lost 100 lbs but needed to loose 150.  I started to gain weight but thought it was just me failing my surgery.  Due to very low iron my family doctor had me do an endoscopy to make sure I was not bleeding.  After that the doctor did my endocoscopy she said that the opening from my stomach to my intestines was wide open.  I went back to the RNY doctor yesterday and he said "why did you wait so long to come back, this is easy" they scheduled me for an egd with scelerotherapy next week. 

Can anybody give me some insight on this?  he did not give me much information.  Will this work?  It sounds so easy, no cutting no pain.   Will I actually start losing again?

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/09 1:30 am - AZ
On March 5, 2009 at 7:57 AM Pacific Time, tturner wrote:

I had RNY in March of 2003.  I lost 100 lbs but needed to loose 150.  I started to gain weight but thought it was just me failing my surgery.  Due to very low iron my family doctor had me do an endoscopy to make sure I was not bleeding.  After that the doctor did my endocoscopy she said that the opening from my stomach to my intestines was wide open.  I went back to the RNY doctor yesterday and he said "why did you wait so long to come back, this is easy" they scheduled me for an egd with scelerotherapy next week. 

Can anybody give me some insight on this?  he did not give me much information.  Will this work?  It sounds so easy, no cutting no pain.   Will I actually start losing again?

I haven't seen a lot of positive results from it from folks posting on this board.  They typically don't see a huge difference.  It takes several treatments and then not a lot of great results.

JanelG
on 3/8/09 12:35 am - Canada

Your doctor will inject an agent into the inside walls of your stoma to cause it to scar and thereby make it unable to stretch easily.  From what I have read from past posts, this proceedure does work for about 2 weeks and you will loose weight because you are placed on a liquid diet...but once you are back on solids, the weight comes back on. 

RNY2002
on 4/1/09 5:49 am - MA
Pls. read my post below.
RNY2002
on 4/1/09 5:46 am - MA
I had my endo consult back in late November, my first sclero procedure on Jan. 13, my second one on Feb. 25 and going in for a endoscopy (potentially a 3rd treatment) on April 15.  I am doing soooo good!!!  I weigh in weekly and tomorrow is the day.  So far I have lost 34 1/2 pounds!  Woo hoo!!!  Aside from the weight loss though, I am no longer hungry all the time.  Actually, I am no longer hungry at all until it's really time to eat.  I've been eating about 1200 cals. a day; breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner and maybe a low cal snack if I get "head hungry".  The procedure really does work.  You will get your satiety back!  

It has worked really well for me this far.  When I first read about it on these boards I was really discouraged.  People made comments about how it worked for a few weeks and then "that was it".  It's not true.  It does work.  Understand that after a few weeks out of your procedure, your intake will increase.  This is normal.  The Dr. doesn't shrink your pouch.  He injects your stoma with a chemical that closes up the "drain" at the bottom of your pouch.  This is what keeps you fuller longer.  You still have to make good food choices and stick to a plan. 

Hope this info. helps.  I sure could have used this positive feedback when I was looking for it!
tturner
on 4/1/09 6:39 am - Hazelwood, MO

Thank you so much for that positive post!!!  I went ahead and had my first treatment on 3/20/09.  It really does hurt .  So far I am on liquids and moving to soft food.  I have not noticed a great difference yet but I am sure it is because it is liquid.  How soon until you noticed the difference?  Was it after your second treatment?  Does the 2nd time hurt any less? how long were you on liquid?   Thank you for your help.

RNY2002
on 4/1/09 11:38 pm - MA
Hi.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hurt".  I really didn't have pain...a little discomfort for a few days but nothing to really write home about. 

After my first procedure I noticed that I was emptying much faster around wk. 3 post op.  I expected the same results after my second procedure but it didn't happen.  I am emptying really slowly, staying full, longer.  I'm going in again on April 15th and I'm not sure he will do another procedure...seems to me like my stoma is the size it should be now.  Like I said, I'm not hungry and I'm emptying slower for sure.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

P.S. I weighed in this morning and lost another 2 1/2 pounds this week.  :)  37 1/2 pounds total since Jan. 13.  Something's working!!!
Most Active