Lap Band over previous Gastric Bypass

R C
on 3/4/09 9:44 am, edited 3/4/09 9:55 am - IA

Is there anyone who has had a previous gastric bypass and had a lap band placed over it and what results did you get.  I have no restriction right now. And did your insurance pay for it.
Thank you so much.
Kourtney

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/09 10:20 am - AZ
On March 4, 2009 at 5:44 PM Pacific Time, krathjen wrote:

Is there anyone who has had a previous gastric bypass and had a lap band placed over it and what results did you get.  I have no restriction right now. And did your insurance pay for it.
Thank you so much.
Kourtney

There are a few, Pepsi is one.  She'll probably chime in.

The surgical risk is low, weight loss is not as good as with DS, but it's less invasive for those that want it.

The risks such as slips and erosion do not seem as great with band afters as they are with banding being the primary surgical procedure.  The difference in the GI anatomy???

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/09 11:37 am, edited 3/4/09 11:37 am - Togo
I just did that a little less than a month ago and it is working very well.

Look at my recent posts and it will tell you how things went - in my case.

good luck with whatever you decide to do. 

Cheryl J.
on 3/5/09 12:22 pm
I just hand band over bypass on 1/14/09.  Insurance paid for it. Waiting to get 2nd fill. I have no restriction right now.
pepsi98
on 3/6/09 9:58 am, edited 3/6/09 9:59 am - Norwich, CT
On March 4, 2009 at 5:44 PM Pacific Time, krathjen wrote:

Thank you so much.
Kourtney

Hi Kourtney,
I just responded to you over on the lap band board.  A band over bypass is one great option and I believe it was the right one for me.

Thank God there are so many options for all of us.  I've had 3 fills and insurance paid for it.  I'm losing slowly but surely.

Shalom!

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Zee Starrlite
on 3/10/09 2:44 am

Hey Kourtney!

If this will be your 3rd WLS, you should make sure it is your last.  The band over bypass works for some people and does not work for some people (are you willing to take that chance?).  I waited 2 & 3/4 years for any restriction now my LB works as advertised    I was in the middle of an appeal for a VSG w. possible DS and then we tried the band again.  Going to Weigh****chers religiously in the past year has helped me tremendously too.  It offers support and accountability.

Why don't you consider a Duodenal Switch?  Some docs are just doing the intestinal portion and leaving the RNY pouch intact instead of a full "take-down".  It is called ERNY (E=extended).

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

R C
on 3/10/09 8:44 am - IA

I am scared of the ERNY.  I am so sick righ now with my surgery.  I suffer from reactive hypoglycemia. And this doesn't just happen for me with carbs/sugars.  I can eat a salad with chicken and my sugars can fall to 20's.  My dietician thought that the food is passing into my intestines at a very fast rate that could be contributing to this also.
I have looked into the DS and there are no DR's around here either.  My surgeon said that with extending the bypass wouldn't do much for weight loss and to risky.  His partner is wanting my to do the Stomaphyx.  Not sure I am to excited about that reading all the negative post on it.
Thank you for your advise
Kourtney

Most Active