BAND OUT AND RNY DONE AT SAME TIME????

nicole K.
on 3/2/09 12:23 pm - brick, NJ
JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HAD THEIR BAND REMOVED AND THE BYPASS DONE ALL IN THE SAME SURGERY?  I AM SCHEDULED TO HAVE BOTH DONE APRIL 9TH BUT JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE THE GIRL IN THE OFFICE ISNT MAKING A MISTAKE BY SCHEDULING THEM AT THE SAME TIME.
THANKS
MARCIAM
on 3/2/09 1:35 pm - Sayville, NY
I had to have mine done in 2 operations since my appeal didn't come through until 5 days after my band was removed.  I wish I could have done it all at once instead of a month appart.  My doctor would have done both at once if the insurance had approved it.
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/09 2:04 pm - AZ
On March 2, 2009 at 8:23 PM Pacific Time, nicole K. wrote:
JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HAD THEIR BAND REMOVED AND THE BYPASS DONE ALL IN THE SAME SURGERY?  I AM SCHEDULED TO HAVE BOTH DONE APRIL 9TH BUT JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE THE GIRL IN THE OFFICE ISNT MAKING A MISTAKE BY SCHEDULING THEM AT THE SAME TIME.
THANKS

I had a band to sleeve done at the same time.  It makes it very tricky to do if you have an existing slip, many will not do it at the same time.  You have to let your stomach heal.  If you have an erosion you have to have it done in two procedures.

If it just isn't working, band intolerance, etc., sure.. Standard of Care in the US and MX (not sure about other countries) is to do a revision in one procedure.  It's easier on you, less surgical and anesthesia risk since you aren't doing it twice... and better for us!

Kimberly H.
on 3/4/09 9:36 pm - FL
I had mine done at the same time.  Everything was fine as far as that goes.  My surgery took longer than expected because of my adhesions from two previous C-sections, but other than that doing both the same day went fine for me.

I wouldn't want to go with having it done two different days.  YUCK! 

If you have any specific questions, please feel free.

Band 02/04
RNY 01/08

vaweber
on 3/4/09 11:16 pm
I just had my band taken out and the Rny all at the same time on Feb. 16th.  It went great!  I came back to work two weeks later and feel really good.  My recovery has been much easier than the band.  I am a stomach sleeper and with the band it took several months to sleep on my stomach because of the port.  This time with the Rny it took me only a week.  My surgery took about 2 hours total.

Vicky
edistogirl2602
on 3/4/09 11:23 pm
I'm having my band out and a RNY on Monday. I'll try to post afterwards to let you know how it went.
charleston-mom
on 3/6/09 4:05 am
I had mine done at the same time. As long as you have a good surgeon (and mine was wonderful), there's no problem. I wouldn't have wanted to take the risk of two surgeries and resultant anesthesia and wound risks.
Most Active