How to know If

Ladysweetthang
on 3/2/09 2:53 pm, edited 3/3/09 2:26 am - NJ
I don't know if this sounds dumb I'm curious but.....

How Does a Rny person know when they need a revision?

What are the red flags?

How long does it take for the red flag to appear?

What if you get a red flag like slow weight loss and you think you need a revision when is it too early to make that decision? For instance say its 10 months and you only lost 80 lbs , your not losing and hit a plateau. Once you hit a year. Should you then consider a revision or see how far this plateau goes...or is that a good time to start considering being revised...

Bare with me I ramble when I type

just a general question not for me I have not been operated  on yet

StacysMom
on 3/2/09 3:34 pm, edited 3/2/09 3:35 pm
 People have said that they needed revision when they have pain and/or complications.   Also, some are several years out and have gained all or a good portion of their weight back.   Some people discover that they were barely bypassed in the first place.  

Each case is individual.   It sounds like you need to "work" your surgery a little longer before thinking about revision, although some WLS patients have a better response to RNY than others.  The ones who are successful with it long term are those who have been able to completely revamp their eating habits and lifestyle.   It's statistics are about the same as with the gastric sleeve, which doesn't involve any malabsorption at all.  Some people need more malabsorption to be successful.

There are some folks on here who have revised from lapband (or stomach stapling)  to RNY, then had a lapband put over their RNY and are now looking for revision to DS.  Not all procedures work the same way for all people.   However, I have not seen anyone on the revisions board seeking to revise from their DS (that's the new DS with the sleeve stomach, not the old BPD/DS procedure which still utilized a pouch).    Most seem very pleased with that procedure.   It appears to be a stronger "tool" to achieve and maintain weight loss (especially in the case of non-compliance with post WLS eating plan),  but it is hard to find surgeons who perform the procedure.  Most do the RNY or lapband.  And, to find a surgeon *****vises from RNY to DS is very difficult - most doctors do not have the skill or experience to do it, even those who have experience with doing a virgin DS.   Most prefer to revise to Distal or Extended RNY (ERNY) and the long term results for those procedures as a "revision" are unknown as of now.  
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/09 6:53 am - Togo
Slow weight loss is still weight loss, so there is no problem. Hitting a plateau is to be expected, so that also is no problem.
I suggest you re-think your attitude toward wls. It is not something to be done everytime you need to lose weight. It is a drastic dramatic action to take for serious health problems.

If you feel you want to lose more weight try swimming, exercise, getting out doors and bicycling, jogging, try regular diets, take a serious look at your food choices and ask yourself -

"what can i do to lose weight? How can i help myself achieve my goal?" 

Ladysweetthang
on 3/3/09 7:17 am - NJ
I don't know if you noticed but like I said above it is a GENERAL QUESTION. I know a plateau is to be expected.. I just asked a question. and I already have a good enough thought on WLS...It's just a simple question
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/09 9:04 am - AZ
On March 3, 2009 at 2:53 PM Pacific Time, coconut678 wrote:
Slow weight loss is still weight loss, so there is no problem. Hitting a plateau is to be expected, so that also is no problem.
I suggest you re-think your attitude toward wls. It is not something to be done everytime you need to lose weight. It is a drastic dramatic action to take for serious health problems.

If you feel you want to lose more weight try swimming, exercise, getting out doors and bicycling, jogging, try regular diets, take a serious look at your food choices and ask yourself -

I completely agree with Coconut and that scares me just a little.

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/09 12:17 am - Brampton, Canada
On March 3, 2009 at 5:04 PM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:

No need to be scared MWG unless you start agreeing with Schelisinger's cheerleaders.
(deactivated member)
on 3/4/09 12:31 am - AZ
On March 4, 2009 at 8:17 AM Pacific Time, LuvMyBand .. wrote:
On March 3, 2009 at 5:04 PM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:

No need to be scared MWG unless you start agreeing with Schelisinger's cheerleaders.

LOL!  True.

This is the first post I've read today so I may change my mind a bit but on this board they have been behaving themselves the past couple of days.  Good for them.

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/09 7:30 am, edited 3/4/09 11:50 am - Togo
from MidwesternGirl: 'they have been behaving themselves the past couple of days"

Oh no, I can't beleive you said that! Don't make me have to bring out my witches broom stick and beat somebody with it! 

(MidwesternGirl - That's a joke - it's dry humor)

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/09 11:58 am - AZ
On March 4, 2009 at 3:30 PM Pacific Time, coconut678 wrote:
from MidwesternGirl: 'they have been behaving themselves the past couple of days"

Oh no, I can't beleive you said that! Don't make me have to bring out my witches broom stick and beat somebody with it! 

(MidwesternGirl - That's a joke - it's dry humor)

C-nut...

Please stop revising this post.  I've gotten email notification of all four of your revisions.

Yes, I know it's humor and very funny, I agree!

Now stop revising it!!

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/09 9:27 pm - Togo
from MidwesternGirl:

C-nut... Please !!!!!! ... I've gotten email notification ... it's  very funny, I agree! Now stop revising ...

I get such a kick out of these 'emotional outbursts'. It is hilarious and puts a smile on my face. 

Most Active