Dr Hoddinott for Revison to DS from RNY

ReginaD
on 3/2/09 10:56 am - Columbus, IN
I've been doing my homework and have tons of info I've printed off from web pages and various boards.  I have found a Dr. Hoddinott in Ocala that will do a DS from a RNY.  I have an appointment with him and will find out more when I meet with him.  I believe he does his surgeries at Munroe Regional in Ocala and also does work with Dr. Overcash.  He performs the DS revisions open and I have a list of questions for him.  Any and all suggestions are appreciated and questions to ask would be helpful before my appointment.  I will also post this on the DS board and the Florida board.  Thanks!
Regina
mlpandbaby
on 3/2/09 11:53 am
Hi Regina,
How did you come to pick the DS?  I was thinking about a DS, but now am thinking about a lapband over my RNY?  What do you think?
ReginaD
on 3/2/09 12:56 pm - Columbus, IN
I wished I had done the DS to begin with.  I have never gotten to my goal weight of 155 and believe the DS would be a better choice for me in getting to my goal.  I've done a lot of posting and asked a lot of questions and want to have the DS if only I could find a surgeon in Florida with a good reputation.  I'm still working on that one.  I can't travel so my means are limited.  Check out the DS boards, they're really helpful and can answer all of your questions better than I can.
Regina
StacysMom
on 3/2/09 2:06 pm
 Please do yourself a favor and ASK the DS board if they know of this doctor and if he is a DS Revision doctor.    I've watched other people get all excited about the RNY to DS revision only to find out AFTER they have had the appointment with the doc that THAT doctor doesn't do the RNY to DS revision after all.  

Sometimes the doctor does the DS, but only as a virgin operation - not as a revision.    That only adds to the confusion.  Sometimes, the office thinks the patient is asking about the older BPD/DS procedure which is not done anymore and doesn't involve making a sleeve stomach.  Make sure you and the doctor's office are talking about the same thing!!

Sometimes it's been a "semantics" issue, where the person didn't ask an exact enough question and other times it's where the doctor or office staff purposely misleads the patient and tries to talk them into another surgery once they're at the actual appointment.

With the economy what it is and with people losing their jobs and health insurance, there is fierce competition for patients - especially those who are doing what is typically viewed as elective surgery.   So, be careful.  Educate yourself about the surgery.   Learn the lingo so you can talk to the doctor in his/her language.  And, ASK the folks on the DS board here.   They really know their stuff!
Regina Ping
on 3/3/09 12:11 am - Vero Beach, FL
Thanks, I will definently be doing that.  I've already asked a lot of questions on there and it's good to get the info.  I had a feeling when I called this office they really weren't sure what I was wanting until I explained it slowly to them.  I will be cancelling my appointment here and looking elsewhere.
Regina
Most Active