Revision from RNY to Lapband

tkoont
on 3/1/09 9:14 am - Hanover , MD
Hello, I am new to this group and have a question.. I had an RNY done in Germany at a German Hospital about 5 years ago, (we are military) since then have regained ALL my weight back.  But through many tests and studies found out I never had a RNY actually I have seen 3 different surgeons, 2 bariatric gastroentorologists and they don't know what they did to my stomach but am having a revision surgery on the 5th of March.  The surgeon wants to "try" something new and put a lapband on instead of a full revision, because to be quite honest he doesn't know what type of surgery I had but it definately wasn't an RNY.....I really don't want a lap band but he thinks this will be the safest option for me..Has anyone had this done and if so how are your results???

Thanks!!
~~Sami~~ *.
on 3/1/09 12:03 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi tkoont:

There are quite a few Lap-Bands over RNYs out there.  If you don't get a response here, I'd ask on the main board.

I'm a little concerned that nobody knows what you've had done.  Was a pouch created?  Do you have any form of intestinal bypass?

One name that keeps coming up as a very well respected German Bariatric surgeon is Dr. Rudolf Weiner in Frankfurt. 

Another person who may be able to help is Dr. Himpens in Belgium.

I think you really need to figure out what you had, so they know how to address it before undertaking any revision.  A Lap-Band over your pouch? may make sense.  A Duodenal Switch may make sense. 

I also think it's extremely important in any revision, but particularly your case, to make sure you have an experienced revision surgeon.

Another European surgeon who has a stellar reputation is Dr. Baltasar in Spain.

Wishing you success :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/09 10:58 pm - Brampton, Canada
I love my revision to Lap-Band from an old VBG but I don't recommend you getting one unless you are positive that is what you want.    Can you get a hold of your surgery paperwork from the surgeon or hospital where you had your wls performed?   I think it is extremely important that you and surgeons know what you had in the past before deciding on what action to take now.

Best wishes,
pepsi98
on 3/2/09 12:39 am - Norwich, CT
I agree with Donna.  I had a lapband placed over my old bypass in Dec. and haven't regretted it yet, but you really have to know what was done to you at your first surgery.

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/09 5:09 am - AZ
On March 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM Pacific Time, tkoont wrote:
Hello, I am new to this group and have a question.. I had an RNY done in Germany at a German Hospital about 5 years ago, (we are military) since then have regained ALL my weight back.  But through many tests and studies found out I never had a RNY actually I have seen 3 different surgeons, 2 bariatric gastroentorologists and they don't know what they did to my stomach but am having a revision surgery on the 5th of March.  The surgeon wants to "try" something new and put a lapband on instead of a full revision, because to be quite honest he doesn't know what type of surgery I had but it definately wasn't an RNY.....I really don't want a lap band but he thinks this will be the safest option for me..Has anyone had this done and if so how are your results???

Thanks!!

A "band after" is not really new at all but it can be a very tricky procedure to do and you'll want to go to someone who has done quite a few of them.  Not just lap bands but band afters.  Don't be the guinea pig here, go to someone experienced.

One thing... It sounds as though you had a restrictive procedure only so if that is the case, how did it work for you?  Were you able to get to goal and stay there until you lost restriction?  Thing is, if you didn't do well with restriction only last time you aren't likely to do well a 2nd time.  But if you did well and only regained due to a lack of restriction then a band-after might be a good option for you.

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/09 11:58 am - Togo
I just had a lap band put over a 12 year old rny and it is working beautifully. it was done not quite 4 weeks ago and i felt restriction right away while i was still in the hospital. i mean i felt some restriction. it has been enough to limit my food intake and i have lost 20 pounds to date.

look at some of my other posts and you will see what i have gone through.

i wanted the lap band because it doesn't involve malabsorption or deficiency issues. it is simply a band put on.

my doctor told me that because the restriction i had is working okay and i am losing that i may not need a 'fill'. which makes me very happy because i was really worried about getting 'fills'.

good luck on the march 5th. it is a simple procedure. i stayed in the hospital over night and then spent one night at a nearby motel, then went on home. 

Most Active