Please help me!!!!!

Marilyn M.
on 2/27/09 8:01 am - IL
In November of 07 I had the lapband put in.  That was 15 months ago. I lost very slowly 52 pounds. I suffered alot with acid reflux and was hospitalized quite a few times for pain in  my lower left side.  I have a tortuous esphagus and  I wasn't able to eat or drink for 4 days I landed in hospital again, so the doctors decided I had to have all the fluid removed on tuesday from my band. 
I am getting things going on the RNY..I am going to seminar tomorrow.  Does anyone ever switch from band to RNY.  I am having both surgeries done at same time.  I am reaching out for help here,  I was sent here from a good friend on Illinois board. I feel like I failed  not only myself but my band : (
Blessings,  Marilyn M.  Jesus Fish 
"Yet I will not forget you.  See, I have inscribed you on the Palm of My hands"   Isaiah 49: 15-16

brandyII
on 2/27/09 9:45 am
I can't give you all the info you need but I too had the lap band in 8/07 and never even lost with it and had reflux issues and had mine removed last October 08.  My 20 yo had RNY last May 08 and has lost over 140 lbs so far.

At first I was so distressed with the whole "failure" situation that I didn't even consider revising as I just gave up hope.  It's been a few months since mine was removed and I'm now looking into RNY for myself and hope that it will be the right procedure for me this time!  I understand the emotional toll this takes on you as I've gone through it my self.  Take care I'm sure there are many who can share their stories here who have had lap band and then revised to RNY, brandyII.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/09 10:02 am - Brampton, Canada
Not everyone's stomach does well with the band so don't beat yourself up over it.  Congrats on moving forward and best wishes on your next surgery!
MARCIAM
on 2/27/09 1:42 pm - Sayville, NY
You did not fail the band - the band failed you!  I had the band for over 2 years and had emergency surgery in August to have the band removed.  I had RNY in September.  I had to let my stomach heal... Check out my profile is you want more details.  I followed all of the rules but it didn't stop my band from slipping and from having reflux 24 hours a day. Since I had the RNY I feel wonderful and I am losing weight again!  My life is 1000% happier and better than with the band.

Good luck to you! I really hope that you will love your RNY as much as I do.

Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

ddam7
on 2/27/09 11:39 pm - crystal lake, IL
Please check out the DS board. I also had a lap  band and failed then had a RNY and failed again now I had a revision to a DS and It is absolutely fantastic!!! I wish I could of known before I put my body through so much..
StacysMom
on 2/28/09 4:29 pm
 Didn't you also have a Stomaphyx from that doctor in Arizona?   You have really been through a lot.   It's really too bad that enough people weren't telling you about all of your options before you had to put your body through so much.

I'll bet you would have opted for the DS in the first place.   From what you posted about your surgery, you didn't have the switch or the DS with the sleeve, you have the BPD.  I'm wondering - did your pouch get reconstructed into a sleeve?  Or do you still have the pouch?   How long is your common channel?  Did you get a version of the Scopinaro procedure?  Your surgery sounds like a real "custom job" and I would love to hear more about it!

Congratulations on your success!   It sounds like  it was a long time coming, but you finally achieved it!!

edistogirl2602
on 2/28/09 6:46 am
I've had my band since 9/2004 and lost 75 lbs. I too had trouble with acid reflux. I ignored it and self medicated with Zantac and Pepcid for almost a year. When I was finally scoped, I had severe esophagitis. I am having my band taken out and revised to RNY on March 9. My doctor is doing it all at the same time. Good luck with your revision and don't beat yourself up. This is becoming a more common problem with the band.
MARCIAM
on 2/28/09 11:24 am - Sayville, NY
Good luck with your revision. I haven't had one second of reflux since my band came out...

Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

Most Active