If you had it to do over again

lauralisi
on 2/28/09 11:08 pm - Dona Ana, NM
I would have had a ds. I didn't know about the ds when I had my rny.  I ultimately failed my rny.  The stomaphyX was a complete waste of money.  I have learned my lesson .  I want the surgery that reduces the amount of hunger-producing hormone, prevents dumping, and gives me the best chance of keeping the weight off.  From all my research, the ds is not more dangerous-it is more complicated.  That's why one needs a surgeon who is very experienced with revision to a ds.  A revision surgeon to another procedure is not good enough.  
I am in the process of arranging a ds.  I wish I still had the money I wasted on the stomaphyx!

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/09 3:03 am - AZ
On February 26, 2009 at 2:43 PM Pacific Time, Jolly Rancher wrote:
I am sure this question has been asked alot. If you were able to go back and have your surgery over again would you have chosen a different surgery? I came back to OH after some years gone and now I see a couple of surgeries that I didn't know existed.

When I was banded I knew at that time that I was a guinea pig of sorts, there were not a lot of long of US studies out for re-ops, stats, etc. on the band or sleeve.  I opted for the band.  Big mistake.  Now the real stats are out and sleeves rock if you are good to go with restriction only.

~~Sami~~ *.
on 3/2/09 2:17 am - Jacksonville, FL
I don't know.

i started researching WLS in 98... and was scheduled for a Lap-RNY in June 99.  I ended up not having it done (didn't like the surgeon)... and researched some more.  In June 2001, I had a Lap-Band in Mexico... right at the time the Lap-Band got FDA approval.  There was long-term data out there from Europe... so it seemed like a good choice.

It's really tough for me to say that I regret my Band because the Band allowed me to have three wonderful post-Band babies.  I don't know if I would have been as comfortable being pregnant with a DS or RNY.  So, at that time of my life, the Band did make sense.

I revised to a VSG last July.  I wish I would have fought harder for a DS in retrospect.  Of course, hindsight is 20/20.  My surgeon believed that since I had lost 95 pounds with a Band and kept off a majority of it with no fill through three pregnancies, I could do well with a Sleeve.  At least lose the 80-100 pounds I wanted.  Now, I'm on a 4 month stall.. with still 50 pounds to go.  But, I'm facing D and PTH issues from just my sleeve, so perhaps, it still was the right decision.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active