If you had it to do over again

JROLFSON
on 2/27/09 6:48 am - St. George, UT
Well you hang in there and keep your chin up....We're all pulling for you....Your success is our success!!!!!!!

JRolfson
Zee Starrlite
on 2/27/09 5:13 am
Monique, it is still Feb.  You've lost 22lbs in 1 month - right?  That is a hell of alot of weight.  Give yourself a chance - YOU MUST BELIEVE THAT THIS SURGERY IS A SUCCESS AND WILL WORK.

I think your issues are more depression and lack of self-love (I may not have responded but I've always prayed for you - I know you from your posts).  You are a very beautiful woman BUT you must believe  that first then all sorts of good things can fall into place.

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Monique H.
on 2/27/09 6:29 am
I thank you so much, and especially thank you for the prayers the Lord knows that I need them.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
StacysMom
on 2/27/09 5:50 am
 Going distal may  not have given you the malabsorption that you needed.  You may have needed an ERNY or the even more effective DS (which not only provides malabsorption, but also considerable reduction of the hunger hormone, Grehlin, so you won't want to eat as much).  

Did you ask your doctor how much more he was going to "bypass" in the surgery?  I've read here that a lot of people are going in for "revisions" without really knowing exactly what the doctor is going to do to "revise" them.   This is why it is so important for everyone to learn the "lingo" and study the diagrams, so that they can speak intelligently with their doctor in his/her language and understand the pros and cons of what is being done to their insides.

Otherwise, you are left up to the whim of  some doctor and what he "feels" is best for you.   And, from what I've read on this forum, the doctors don't even present patients with all of the options available to them.   So, if you don't know what your options are, don't depend on your doctor to tell you.  Know them, all of them (including the pros & cons of each one), before you even go in for your revision consult!
Monique H.
on 2/27/09 6:34 am
I had spoken to my surgeon when he said he was going to request approval to make me a distal. Unfortunately after that at my preop appt. I didn't see my surgeon, and when I asked the one that I saw she said that he usually just doubles the amount bypassed. I really did want to speak to him at that time, but they were just so busy. I was going to speak to him at the hospital, but when I got there I was worried about the infection I was getting under my stomach and forgot all about asking him to bypass more. All I can do now is pray that this works.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
StacysMom
on 2/28/09 4:46 pm
 You were probably very nervous and stressed out and it is hard to remember everything when you have so much on your mind.  I hope this works for you.   Try and cut out your carbs to help the surgery work.  If you get hungry, just stuff yourself with protein.   Eat 10 chicken breasts if you have to!   Just don't go for that donut, bread, those french fries or that cake!  Please post and let everyone know what's happening with you.   

JanelG
on 2/26/09 10:18 am - Canada
I would have gotten the DS for sure!  I had the VSG (which is the first part of the 2-part DS proceedure for some)...but it's been 2 years and I have yet to reach my goal and I have gained some too. 
Mrs_Jones
on 2/26/09 10:21 am
I had RNY 4 years ago and have been happy with my loss.  I have had a bit of a bounce back in the last year (20lbs) and so have come back to get some support and re-connect with other WLS folks.

I hadn't heard of the DS when I had my RNY, it certainly wasn't offered by my surgeon.

Good luck with your decision Jolly Rancher!

Glo
Human beings who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their disinclination to do so - Douglas Adams
MsDeniseinPA
on 2/27/09 3:07 am - PA
If I could go back 10 years, I would have gotten the RNY originally instead of the VBG
(deactivated member)
on 2/27/09 5:48 am, edited 2/27/09 5:48 am - Togo
Keep in mind that you are on the 'revision' forum. so people are not happy about what they had previously but are excited about what they are having done presently..

Most Active