If you had it to do over again

Jolly Rancher
on 2/26/09 6:43 am
I am sure this question has been asked alot. If you were able to go back and have your surgery over again would you have chosen a different surgery? I came back to OH after some years gone and now I see a couple of surgeries that I didn't know existed.
brandyII
on 2/26/09 7:05 am
Unfortunately I don't have a time machine, yet, but I would have chosen RNY over Lap Band only because I had no success with it.  I can't change what has happened and use it as a learning experience now to be more careful in the future.
Monique H.
on 2/26/09 7:18 am
Definitely. Now that I have had a revision to my original rny revising me to a distal from a proximal and still not losing like I think I should I definitely would have chosen the ds. I had a revision on Jan 13th and the first few weeks I lost 22 pounds and since I started eating I haven't lost anything. Depression is really starting to set in. I think if I would have had the ds from the beginning I would have been much better off. My last surgery took over 8 hours because of all of the scar tissue and adhesions so I know there is no way to even go in to do anything else and here I am stuck with another surgery that isn't working for me. I hate it.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Jolly Rancher
on 2/26/09 8:53 am
Thank you for sharing. My heart breaks for you. I have been planning on having the RNY but since I came back to the board I've been reading and I am thinking about looking into the DS too. I only want to do this one time.
T Lady
on 2/26/09 9:11 am
I am a very analytical person and researched as much as possible before I made such a huge life altering decision.  I read everything I possibly could about every available surgery for months.  I lurked on every surgery board and revision board, asked a lot of questions and noticed no one with a DS wanted a different surgery.  They also had the best weight loss statistics.  I also wanted the hunger hormone ghrelin gone and wanted to keep my pyloric valve.  My surgeon was so surprised that I knew so much about the procedure and my response was, "I can't comprehend why a potential patient wouldn't research all of their options as much as they could before making the ultimate decision."  Finally it was either the VSG or the DS for me.  I wanted the best long term outcome for my health and didn't know if I could keep the weight off with restriction only.  The DS was a no brainer compared to the other options!  I too only wanted to do this one time!  I know I have made the best decision in fighting for my health for the long haul!  I traveled thousands of miles for a qualified DS surgeon and would do it again in a heart beat!  I didn't have to fight my insurance company, but I was prepared to.  That's how passionate I was about this!  Good luck!

Original DS-1/07/09- Dr. Simper, SW: 286, LW:170, Post-op HW:194

Hiatal Hernia Repair & Revised DS to Hess Method-1/29/14- Dr. Keshishian, SW:194, CW:176, GW:130ish

PCOS w/ 2 post DS pregnancies!

JROLFSON
on 2/27/09 4:25 am - St. George, UT
Dear Monique:

I feel so bad for you! I totally know how you feel....Although if your surgery was just January 13th, 2009 and this is only February 27 that means you've lost 22 lbs in a month+. That in itself is amazing. Sometimes after these procedures you have extremely excellerated weight loss and then it stops as your body adjusts...Don't get down on yourself just yet! Remember not to eat anything white. And i'll bet your weight loss begins to return.

Have you talked with your Dr. explained how you feel? What did he tell you, How much did he tell you, you could hope to lose with this surgery?

Do you know how much he extended your common channel? That is important stuff to know.

Hang In There and Good Luck with this...

JRolfson

StacysMom
on 2/27/09 5:16 am
 The common channel would not have been extended.   It would have been reduced (made shorter), I believe.
JROLFSON
on 2/27/09 5:37 am - St. George, UT
You are absolutely correct, it would have been shortened not extended or lengthened...Thank you for correcting that...my mistake...

JRolfson
Monique H.
on 2/27/09 6:28 am
JROLFSON:

22 lbs in a month is great. I've just had such struggles with stopping losing weight before that I'm really worried that this surgery isn't going to work. I'm trying to keep my head up and continue doing what I'm doing. I have not spoken to my surgeon yet. They keep having me see a PA. I do know that they bypassed 200 more cm and that I have a common channel of 150.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
(deactivated member)
on 3/1/09 2:45 am - AZ
On February 27, 2009 at 1:48 PM Pacific Time, coconut678 wrote:
Keep in mind that you are on the 'revision' forum. so people are not happy about what they had previously but are excited about what they are having done presently..

I think that by the time you get to revision stage you have a lot more education (experience)  under your belt and you have a better idea of what is right for you.

The hard part of WLS is that you don't always know what is right for you until you try it.  Once you try it you then have a better idea if you are one that needs restriction alone or restriction and malabsorption.

Most Active