Vent, Questions, Advice???

Kenna C.
on 2/26/09 1:15 am - Demopolis, AL
So I am over 2 years out Lapband, I've had many problems getting the right amount of restriciton, I've gone from too tight, soft food sydrome, no restriction, filled, too tight, unfilled and now working my way back up.  I've lost 84 lbs and now gained back 31 lbs.  My doctor is working with me to help get me back on track.  I have a terrible food addiction problem and if I am not using food I resort to something else.  I am so screwed up.  I see my doctor yesterday and he wants we to continue to "work my band" but also consider going through the process of getting approved for RNY.  (I was self pay with my band and now my insurance does pay for wls) He has had another patient simular to my situation and she has lost 39 lbs with her band in a 2 year period and another 98 since her revision.  My problem is,  I really need this band to work, I know now the only reason it hasn't has been to my bad choices and lack of commitment.  I feel like I would have taken 14,000 from my family and thrown it down the trash and we really can't afford a mistake like that.  Also, I don't know if I want to take the risk, I choose lap band because I was afraid of the bypass.  And now everyone is talking about the whole "foriegn body thing" something I didn't even worry about before.   Now I am so confused.  I want my band to work, I really think if I can't get control over myself I will still have problems with the RNY.  UGH.  Why is this so hard for some of us???  I wish there was a magic pill that erased additive personalities. 
brandyII
on 2/26/09 3:53 am
Kenna,

I'm in a similar situation.  Insurance covered my band and it's removal.  The way I look at it is I went in there with the confidence in myself and the band that it would work, it would be slower possibly but that was ok with me.  Slower ended up turning into many fills, unfills, one emergency unfill and never getting to the point that many people get to where it's working for them.  Ended up with acid reflux too.  The band is supposed to help if it wasn't then everyone losing weight with it wouldn't need it.  It doesn't mean that it's the right procedure for everyone.

You get to the point where you're not getting anywhere blaming yourself, we're so used to as fat people that we're always to blame and we need to give ourselves a bit of a break!  I think 2 years is long enough time to give that procedure you had to work and it didn't and it's time to move on to a different procedure if you choose to.  I think failed WLS really takes a toll on us emotionally and I'm going through that myself now.  I had mine removed  after 14 months last October but was afraid to revise but I'm now at the point where I want to proceed with RNY and have an appt. in a few weeks to discuss it and get the ball moving.  My 20 year old daughter had her RNY last May and has lost over 140 lbs so far.  She had a few comps in the beginning but has gotten past those and seems to be doing really well now both physically and emotionally.  If she can do it I know I can do it!  Good luck to you and take care, brandyII.

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/09 8:02 am
Kenna:
Some people have metabolically stubborn bodies and if that is the case with you, you were doomed with the band to start. If you figure the most amount of weight you were able to lose on a diet, this would be about the amount a person who is metabolically stubborn would lose with the band. Some people do well with the band, some don't. If you are wanting a revision, consider the DS. Bypass patients have a tendancy to regain after the first 2-3 years if their bodies are metabolically stubborn menaing you would be right back where you are. Just a thought.

Most Active