Question about band over RNY

Renee M.
on 2/25/09 8:51 pm
Have any of you had the realize/lap band placed above or below the pouch to act as a new stoma?  I've had one doctor say it wasn't possible because my pouch was "too small" and another say that it should be no problem if they place the band high/low enough.  I am one of those people in the weird situation with the huge stoma and small pouch (stoma is 2.5cm/pouch is 3.5 cm) and a lot of Doctors are afraid to work on small pouches.   The pouch is too small for the tools used for Rose/Restore/Stomaphyx, but I've also been told that insurance doesn't pay for those and it wouldn't be as successful as placing a band instead.  Please help...I know the DS isn't an option because there aren't any DS surgeons in my area, and insurance doesn't like paying for that surgery, either.
pepsi98
on 2/26/09 2:56 am - Norwich, CT
My band was placed over my old bypass in Dec 08 but I don't know what the requirements to do so are.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

2xacharm
on 2/26/09 5:14 am - GA
Can't give you any info on getting a band over the rny but I do want to say that there is a highly regarded DS surgeon in Sommerset, Kentucky, Dr John Husted.

Good luck on your quest

Charmed

First goal met: I'm back in my Skinny Jeans!!!!

I maybe down, but I am not out............I AM GETTING MY DS, BY ANY  MEANS NECESSARY!!!

Approved on 04/10/09
Scheduled for my Revision to DS 05/18/09 

louisec
on 2/27/09 12:59 am - Orange County, CA
I had an upper GI that showed my stoma was wide open.
I hired Obesity Law (with the help of Allergan)and we are waitng for word on a 3rd party reveiw. My insurance denied my request but California Law states if it is Medically Necesary, they must pay. Well ,it is and it is documented, so now we are waiting. My only problem with my original procedure was lack of restriction. Of the 60 lbs I lost(stoped after the EGD was done when some stupid Dr dialated my stoma @ 6 months post op. never lost 1lb after that!!!) I gained back 20lbs In the last 4yrs.
Start getting things documented. Weight, blood labs, & upper GI. Any thing that will help with your fight. Contact me directly if you have any questions.
Re-Do-Lou
Most Active