my erny story

lisa_hutch
on 3/1/09 8:12 am - Indianapolis - New Palestine, IN
What does ERNY stand for?
Deanne K.
on 3/1/09 10:40 am - Tucson, AZ
It is an Extended Roux-en-y bypass surgery, which is similar to a distal but it leaves a common channel of 100 cm to about 50 cm depending upon the surgeron.  Most are around 75 cm of the common channel remaining.
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/09 8:38 am - KY
Deanne, are you still around that I may email you and ask you some questions?  Thanks, Pat
Deanne K.
on 8/31/09 9:49 am - Tucson, AZ
Yes, I am still around.  I haven't been on here really very much in the past few months.  Busy, Busy, Busy.  You can PM me and I will answer your questions.
Deanne
StacysMom
on 2/27/09 3:57 pm, edited 2/27/09 7:28 pm
Let me make it perfectly clear here that I AM NOT KNOCKING YOUR DOCTOR!!   I do not feel it is ethical to use these boards for patient procurement and I do feel that this particular doctor confuses and manipulates patients into the ERNY surgery because he doesn't do the RNY to DS revision that everyone wants.    BUT, that is  not the issue here, so please don't argue those points with me.   I have already posted the proof of my contentions on other posts.  I am not going to mention ANY names on this post, because those of you who have been deceptive on here know who you are.  

Now, it seems to me that all of the new ERNY revisioners have lost "some" weight, but based on what THEY have said they still need to lose, it is a miniscule portion of what they still have left over from the RNY that didn't work for them (or that they gained back).  

It is obvious that the only people who have achleved their goals with the ERNY are those who had a smaller proportion of their excess weight yet to lose OR the one person (and you know who you are) who had the common channel shortened to a frightening 50 cm (she lost double what she wanted to).    

I will say it another way:  The people who got the 75 cm common channel have lost 50 lbs (maybe one lost as much as 80, because she was never bypassed in the first place), when they wanted to lose 150!!   And, their weight loss has virtually come to a stop, at around 6 months out.  The one woman who got a 50 cm common channel has lost around 65 or 70 lbs, when she only wanted to lose about 40 lbs.    

Most of the 75 cm people are still having bowel, vitamin, protein and hunger issues several months out!  I know this because they have posted on OH about it.   The 50 cm person is having major body odor issues -  to the point where she can no longer work in an enclosed office (in addition to the bowel, vitamin and protein issues), but she is only posting about it on forums which are off of OH - on ObesityHelp she is talking about how radiantly healthy and skinny she now is.   

It is important here to notice that the ONLY one who lost a huge proportion of excess weight (almost DOUBLE what she initially wanted) was the woman with the 50 cm common channel, so it appears that for this surgery to work the way most people expect it to IS to make a dangerously short common channel and then the person will have to deal with body odor, bad breath, bowel problems, severe vitamin and protein deficiencies, etc. for the rest of his/her life.   And, take medicine to counteract those new problems - fiber pills, flagyl, breath renewers, handfuls of vitamins (THROUGHOUT the entire day - because your body  can only absorb so much at one time), not to mention eating certain foods to counteract the problems.   

This is a choice  that only the patient can make for his or her self - and  that person SHOULD be given correct information from those who came before.  In simple English - PLEASE TELL THE NEWBIES THE TRUTH ABOUT YOUR SURGERIES!!  Some of you ARE doing better than others, but holding up this "united front" is getting old - especially when some of you post about your problems on other boards !!

Just so you all know, these "side effects" are just some of the reasons  that the old BPD/DS (also known as the Scopinaro procedure) is no longer being performed.

I also PREDICT that those  of you with the 75 cm common channel  will start gaining your weight back just like after your original RNY.   If it didn't work for you, neither will this.   As long as your "blind" stomachs are still CHURNING  out the hunger hormone, Grehlin, you will continue to be hungry and overeat.   After all, history repeats itself.  And, even with the increased malabsorption that your revision has provided, it  will not be enough to counteract this issue.

I may as well also say that when this "my erny story" post went up, with its invitation for interested parties to email her (them?) at an off-site private email address called -- wait for it -- "[email protected]", I felt it was an obvious ploy to FUNNEL potential newbie revisioners to a place where they could be misled without the glaring eyes of those on ObesityHelp who might "CORRECT" the falsehoods being foisted upon the uninformed newbies.

Gosh, a new way to procure more patients for said doctor without even having to post more glowing and misleading "comments" on OH!!  Brilliant new PR ploy!  .  'Nuf said.    
(deactivated member)
on 2/27/09 11:41 pm - Brampton, Canada
If it looks like a troll, posts like a troll and smells like a troll...it must be a troll.   This seems like such a phoney baloney thread started.  
Ilovemygarden
on 2/28/09 1:53 am
Honestly people, grow up.

I only intended to post about my personal experience with ERNY. Those of you who privately emailed questions to me, I hope you got the answers you needed, you can see why I prefer that forum to this.

LosingSally
on 2/28/09 7:50 pm
I find it extremely interesting that some posters want to limit other's freedom of speech, and their ability to state what others have stated  on this and other forums...that they love their surgery, that they love their surgeon, that they are grateful for the chance to be healthy and at a weight they prefer.
The reasons behind the choices of surgery, or revision surgery is usually unique to the one involved. Their limitations, their health, previous surgeries, future goals, and just plain afinity with their surgeon of choice are the things many want to know about.
Why this brings out the asshole in so many people boggles the mind. It also is a form of disrespect towards the one making their own  choice of preceedure, by constantly informing them that their choice is somehow wrong, that their feelings of satisfaction are somehow not valid, and that they are too stupid to have taken charge of their own health care in anyway they see fit.
Sharing one's own journey, the good and the bad of it, is part of the support we should hope to find on Obesity Help.
Some people should just get over themselves!
(deactivated member)
on 3/1/09 3:39 am - AZ
On March 1, 2009 at 3:50 AM Pacific Time, LosingSally wrote:
I find it extremely interesting that some posters want to limit other's freedom of speech, and their ability to state what others have stated  on this and other forums...that they love their surgery, that they love their surgeon, that they are grateful for the chance to be healthy and at a weight they prefer.
The reasons behind the choices of surgery, or revision surgery is usually unique to the one involved. Their limitations, their health, previous surgeries, future goals, and just plain afinity with their surgeon of choice are the things many want to know about.
Why this brings out the asshole in so many people boggles the mind. It also is a form of disrespect towards the one making their own  choice of preceedure, by constantly informing them that their choice is somehow wrong, that their feelings of satisfaction are somehow not valid, and that they are too stupid to have taken charge of their own health care in anyway they see fit.
Sharing one's own journey, the good and the bad of it, is part of the support we should hope to find on Obesity Help.
Some people should just get over themselves!

If it was just about people sharing their experiences I would agree with you.  But it's not, it's about people using a support board to promote a doctor and get him free advertising while not telling the whole truth on the "support" end of this issue.

One is normal and ethical, the other is not.

StacysMom
on 3/1/09 12:02 pm
 LosingSally,

You are absolutely right!   Why would people want newbie revisioners to email them "privately" on an off-site email address?   Perhaps it's because they are posting very positive things on OH while talking about their ERNY problems on other boards.  

Curious, don't you think.   To tell a "newbie" that your side effects to the surgery are very manageable, while complaining on another board (off of OH) that you can no longer work in enclosed office because of all the of the body odors you now give off?  More than a YEAR AFTER your ERNY revision?    This is even with tons of prescription meds and other things to contain such odors?   And, there are other problems as well.  

How about saying that you feel that your surgeon is less concerned about how YOU are feeling and more concerned for how HE will look for having done the operation which caused all the horrid side effects?   All the while, saying great things about him on OH and trying to procure more patients for him?   Why do you think someone would do that do a newbie?

Shouldn't newbies know the truth and the WHOLE truth? And, then let them make their own decision - an informed decision?

No one's choice of  procedure is wrong!!   It is up to the individual to make that choice for him or her self.    But, how can the patient make an informed decision if the information they are being spoon-fed is incorrect, or otherwise "skewed" and not balanced?  

Just from reading these boards, is it obvious that some people depend on what others say and don't do all the independent research they they should be doing.    Do these people not deserve the TRUTH?   Just because some are less "smart" than others, does that mean they are less deserving of correct information?   Shouldn't we HELP those who are less able?

It is bad enough that doctors frequently make the "decision" for a patient by strategically "narrowing" that patient's options using either subtle intimidation or other manipulation, so that the patient comes to the sole conclusion that the doctor wants, yet thinks it was their decision alone.    Not everyone realizes this at the time.    Isn't it better to learn the "lingo" so that you can talk to the doctor in medical terms, ask the "right" questions and know what you are getting yourself into?
Most Active