why the big deal?

FernTate
on 2/25/09 4:15 am
I don't understand why fixing a stretched stoma is not solved yet.  Why can't they just
go down with a scope and take a stitch or two, to tighten it?  A revision is such a big
deal for a problem like mine: just a stretched out stoma causing food to empty too
quickly.   This creates hunger, eating more, weight gain.
MsBatt
on 2/25/09 1:17 pm
Well, there's something called 'StomaphyX' which attempts to do just that. For some people, it works quite well. For others, not so good.
StacysMom
on 2/25/09 2:45 pm
 Check out this thread on Stomaphyx - you will find a way to search the boards easily in one of the posts.   Then you can search for yourself and see what those who have had the various procedures have experienced:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3871329/StomaphyX-revisi on-procedure/  

FYI, even if the stoma is stitched up again, it will stretch out again.   There are other methods besides Stomaphyx which involve actual stitches (Stomaphyx uses fasteners), but the results have not been good either.   There's also Sclerotherapy which involves injecting a liquid which scars the stoma to make it smaller.   These all work for only a short period of time (less than 6  months, from what I've read) and then restriction goes back to where it was before the procedure.

The stretching of the stoma is such a problem that, in Europe, I read they have been installing a lapband over the RNY during the original surgery, so that when restriction is lost, it can be regained by getting a fill.
FernTate
on 2/25/09 11:47 pm
That was my point: stomaphax and schleratherapy don't have a great track record.  I've read it is because with stomaphax they can't staple thru all the tissue, only the surface, and with schleratherapy they can't control the amount of scaring.  

If they can suture tissue permanently all over the body, with all different kinds of surgeries, why can't they find a way to suture the stoma? 
Most Active