What is a good revision for a RNY?

Theresa W.
on 2/25/09 1:30 am, edited 2/25/09 2:40 am - Northern Lower, MI
I am 5 years out, and have gained back 60 lbs.  I have no restriction to speak of, and do not dump anymore...very rarely at least.  Yes, yes, I know we have to careful, watch what we eat, "get back to basics", follow the rules, but I just have had such a difficult time with the gaining.  What would be a good revision for an RNY?  Any suggestions?  I'm in MI.  Thanks!  Theresa

505dardar
on 2/25/09 2:26 am - albuquerque, NM
Try the DS forum.  They have loads of revisions from rny over there.  Ask questions and see if this is something suitable for you.
Theresa W.
on 2/25/09 2:40 am - Northern Lower, MI
Thanks!  Theresa

mew6495
on 2/25/09 9:13 am - MI
It would depend on what you are looking for....  more mal absorbtion, more restriction etc.   What risk level are you willing to take?  I know there are some who choose a band over RNY but others who have not had much luck with it.  The DS is a good option if you can find a good surgeon and are willing to face the elevated risk but it shows good long term results.   There's also a more distal or extended version of your RNY for greater malabsroption.  Post on the DS board if this type fits your personal objectives.  Perhaps someone there has had a revision without the higher BMI.

I live in MI also, I originally researched the DS.  Because my BMI was not over 45-50 many MI doctors did not want to touch me.  So this could be an issue as well if you don't have much to loose. 

Good Luck to you.  I hope you find what you need....

~~Sami~~ *.
on 2/26/09 11:21 am - Jacksonville, FL
Your choices are extended your bypass or converting to a DS. 

In Michigan, I know that there are doctors in Grand Rapids who do the DS, as well as one in Bloomfield Hills.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

StacysMom
on 2/26/09 12:15 pm
 In addition to the ERNY (Extended RNY) and DS, you can also have a lapband placed over your pouch to regain restriction.    In Europe they are placing lapbands over the pouch at the same time as the original RNY surgery, so that, when the pouch stretches out, there is already a method in place to continue weight loss and prevent regain.   It eliminates the need for another surgery. 

Lapband works really great for some, and others really hate it!

Each of these options has its own list of pros and cons.   You need to educate yourself and do your own research to made an informed decision on which is best for YOU.   Do no rely on what one doctor or one patient tells you.   Speak with  many doctors and make sure that they actually do perform the surgeries you are interested in.    

Many say they do "all" the different surgeries, as a way to get the patient in the door - and then they "convince" that uninformed patient that the particular surgery that they do is the "best" or "safest" for that patient.  

Be sure you know what revision you are getting.   There are those on this board who thought they got one revision, when they really got another.   Here is a link to where two of them have posted that they had the RNY to DS revision, when they really had the ERNY:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3815154/Anyone-had-a-rev ision-from-RNY-to-DS/

I don't think it's a coincidence that they both had the same surgeon.

This is the reason that you MUST do your own research and learn the "lingo" and ask the right questions before you let anyone operate on you.   Some people, themselves, don't even know what was done to their insides.       
SheriAZ
on 2/28/09 3:04 am
Do you do anythng other then look on these boards for ways to make others look bad? Do you have a file of misquotes or things others are not clear about? Do you and the "other 2" in your group of nasties get together to see who has the most trash to sling? Give me a break. I read a very nice post by someone who was thrilled by her revision that was smeared by your group who just could not leave it alone. This is a support group can't you be supportive? One of the misinformed in your post was me and I was wrong and admitted it. I had an ERNY by that awesome of awesome walk on water surgeon Dr.S. What do you care how we feel about our surgeon? Why do you waste your time on it? Jealous because you did not get that level of care? Sounds like it. Icame on here for support not to feel as if I did something not as good as everyone else or that my surgeon isn't as good as yours. How childish! I guess its time to find support someplace else.Oh and by.the way I know what was done to my insides and I am very happy with the results.
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/09 8:26 am - AZ
On February 28, 2009 at 11:04 AM Pacific Time, SheriAZ wrote:
Do you do anythng other then look on these boards for ways to make others look bad? Do you have a file of misquotes or things others are not clear about? Do you and the "other 2" in your group of nasties get together to see who has the most trash to sling? Give me a break. I read a very nice post by someone who was thrilled by her revision that was smeared by your group who just could not leave it alone. This is a support group can't you be supportive? One of the misinformed in your post was me and I was wrong and admitted it. I had an ERNY by that awesome of awesome walk on water surgeon Dr.S. What do you care how we feel about our surgeon? Why do you waste your time on it? Jealous because you did not get that level of care? Sounds like it. Icame on here for support not to feel as if I did something not as good as everyone else or that my surgeon isn't as good as yours. How childish! I guess its time to find support someplace else.Oh and by.the way I know what was done to my insides and I am very happy with the results.

Seems to me StacysMom was being very nice and supportive.  You are just stirring pooh and causing drama.

So what if she was referring to Schlesinger?  So what if he is your doctor.  He has a LOT of lawsuits against him and considering most doctors never have one and he has a slew.... not saying much about your little weasel that walks on water.

~~I guess its time to find support someplace else~~

Bye.

JRinAZ
on 10/12/09 8:44 am - Layton, UT
On October 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:

Seems to me StacysMom was being very nice and supportive.  You are just stirring pooh and causing drama.

So what if she was referring to Schlesinger?  So what if he is your doctor.  He has a LOT of lawsuits against him and considering most doctors never have one and he has a slew.... not saying much about your little weasel that walks on water.

Bye.

~~You are just stirring pooh and causing drama.~~

Did YOU really just say that???     The pot 'trying' to call the kettle black!!!! 

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/09 8:53 am - AZ
On October 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
On October 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:

Bye.

~~You are just stirring pooh and causing drama.~~

Did YOU really just say that???     The pot 'trying' to call the kettle black!!!! 

Nope, I wrote it.

Most Active