StomaphyX revision procedure?

wrkplaydream
on 2/24/09 12:21 pm
I am desperately seeking information from people that have actually had the StomaphyX revision done.  I had a Gastric Bypass RNY done about 6 years ago and am now seeking this revision due to weight gain.  I am eager to get several questions answered by actual patients not just surgeons.  I never did meet my target weight I was content but .....I am hoping thisprocedure will make me go back to having the sensation of not being hungry at all.  After the revision how much has people lost in what length of time?  Any information would be appreciated.  Thank you.
StacysMom
on 2/24/09 12:41 pm, edited 2/24/09 12:42 pm
 Stomaphyx was the "next big thing" beginning in the summer of 2007, but by 2008, it was old news.   Everyone who had it lost around 20 lbs initially, then gained everything back + more.  They ALL went on to full revisions.   I did not see even one instance where anyone had a good result with it.   Same with the ROSE procedure, that was also the big rage!   If you go through the old postings you will find a lot of info on both of these.    I've read that Sclerotherapy has worked for some people in providing restriction, but it appears to take three sessions to start working and then it doesn't last for any appreciable length of time.

There is also a way to search certain forums.  Go to google and click on "advanced search", then go to the box for "search within a site or domain".    Then to to OH on a separate page and find the forum you want (i.e. "revisions forum") and drag and click that particular domain address into the the box on google.   Then fill in the box that says "all these words" with the word "stomaphyx" (or any other topic).    It should take you to a page where all the Revisions board entries for "stomaphyx" are mentioned, and you can get what you need from there.

Good luck!     
wrkplaydream
on 2/25/09 4:33 am
Thank You for the info :)
lauralisi
on 2/25/09 8:37 am, edited 2/25/09 8:39 am - Dona Ana, NM
I had the stomaphyx done and felt no restriction whatsoever.  Total waste of money!
MsBatt
on 2/25/09 1:23 pm
If hunger is your problem, look into getting a revisions to the DS. In the DS, the part of the stomach that produces most of the hunger hormone is completely removed from the body, never to trouble you again.
StacysMom
on 2/25/09 2:27 pm
 Well said.  The problem is with so many doctors telling RNY patients that the DS is unavailable to them because it is "impossible"  to safely reconstruct the pouch into a functioning stomach.  That's why so many RNY patients wind up with the ERNY.   The doctors convince them that it's the only "safe" option for them and the patients believe whatever their doctor is telling them.
lauralisi
on 2/25/09 9:53 pm - Dona Ana, NM
MsBatt and StacysMom make excellent points.  I had the StomaphyX because I failed my rny.  The stomaphyX was a complete waste of money.  I have learned my lesson.  I want the surgery that reduces the amount of hunger-producing hormone, prevents dumping, and gives me the best chance of keeping the weight off.  From all my research, the ds is not more dangerous-it is more complicated.  That's why one needs a surgeon who is very experienced with revision to a ds.  A revision surgeon to another procedure is not good enough.  
I am in the process of arranging a ds.  I wish I still had the money I wasted on the stomaphyx!
Please feel free to pm me with any questions.  And yes, the ds board has a number of folks who are in your situation.

StacysMom
on 2/25/09 10:29 pm
lauralisi,  

You are fortunate to have done your own research and not let your Stomaphyx doctor talk you into the ERNY, like he has so many others.  I have the feeling that 3-4 years from now, those same ERNY'ers will be back on this board again, either because they didn't lose the weight they needed to OR because they initially lost then gained it all back.   It will be interesting to see what happens.
wrkplaydream
on 2/26/09 12:45 am
Thank you all for the advice :)  
I spoke to the Dr. In Michigan I would have do the procedure and he said he is not a good salesman because he does not push that procedure, however, if a patient wants to try it he will do it.  He did tell me about sclerotherapy injections to the pouch area which is much cheaper and there is actually research on it at pubmed.com.
lauralisi
on 2/28/09 10:42 am - Dona Ana, NM
Please look carefully into the sclerotherapy injegtions.  They work by changing the injected tissue into a tougher, less-elastic, more scar-like tissue.  This has the effect of shriveling the tissue into a less-pliable consistancy.  This is good for making stoma inlets and outlets smaller.
If it works- fine.But you might find it difficult to work withif further revision is needed.
Most Active