Lap band removed want RNY

brandyII
on 2/25/09 7:58 am
Thanks jeanyjane,

I have thought of it but as it is my surgeon doesn't do that procedure and the surgeon and hospital that does do it is over two hours away, brandyII.
jeanyjane
on 2/27/09 5:05 am - Germany
2 hours is not a very long travel, is it? You are having to live 24/7 with the revision procedure you choose, for the rest of your life (which is a hopefully a VERY long time!). After having already suffered through one failed WLS, make sure the revision you pick is the one, right choice for you, and not the one which is easiest to get. Many people don`t do too well with the RNY and gain a lot of weight back after 2+ years out, and a third surgery may not be an option for you because of scar tissue ect. So please, please make sure you get it right the second time!!

Many people travel much further and even go out of country to get the surgery of their choice. It`s doable.
brandyII
on 2/27/09 7:28 am
jennyjane,

I know a lot of people travel very far for proceedures but it's the aftercare and emergency situations that I worry about.  My daughter had the RNY and has had a few problems in the beginning and being 2 hours away would have been pretty scary to me.  I also had an emergency situation with my band once and it's just not something I'm willing to risk again.  It's comforting to know our surgical team can handle these issues in a fairly close to home hospital or office.  I can't be perfectly sure with any proceedure but with the malabsorptive qualities of the RNY and the fact that my daughter has done very well so far I'm more apt to go that way.  Who knows what changes will occur with WLS etc... in the future, hopefully something better and safer than the options we have now, thanks brandyII.
Most Active