Lap band removed want RNY

brandyII
on 2/23/09 11:54 am
Just curious if any of you can give me info on going from lap band to RNY.

Mine never seem to work right from the beginning and I had it removed after 14 months.

It was removed last October so now I'm thinking of revising to the RNY.  My daughter had it last May and had done really well so far.

I want to make sure this time the WLS works and feel I need the extra qualities that RNY has the malabsorption part.  Anyway any words of wisdom I'd appreciate, thanks brandyII.
MARCIAM
on 2/23/09 3:01 pm, edited 2/24/09 3:17 am - Sayville, NY
Please check out my profile.  I had my band removed in emergency surgery on 8/20 and a revision to RNY on 9/22.  It is the best thing I have ever done and I am sorry that I didn't have RNY from the beginning.
Good luck to you!
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

brandyII
on 2/24/09 3:42 am
Ok Marciam,

You're definitely not technically challanged but I may be!  I love how lively your site is!  But I did have a problem trying to find info from when you went from lap band to RNY.  Is it something I could find in your archives?  Did you do well initially on the band and then have comps and then have it removed?  I gained back my weight that I lost on the preop, I suppose for a variety of reasons I would eat through the band because I was tired of vomiting up the healthy foods all the time!  Then I got acid reflux and that caused bad chest pains and had it removed after 14 months on the band.

Mine was removed last October, was there a reason why you had to wait a month for the RNY?  You may have all the info listed in your site I'm just not good at navigating there so if you can direct me I can find the info, thanks so much brandyII.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

MARCIAM
on 2/24/09 5:33 am, edited 2/24/09 5:38 am - Sayville, NY
Check my blog posts from April though September... Those have my sorry tale...
RNY on 9/22/08

brandyII
on 2/24/09 6:21 am
Thanks Marciam,

I did read a few of them but wondered if you were successful with the band prior to it being unfilled?  I suppose I still have some self doubts that I may screw up the RNY like I did the LB.  Thanks brandyII.

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/09 9:36 pm - Brampton, Canada
Brandy that sucks you had no success with your band, I wish you well with any revision you go for!
brandyII
on 2/24/09 4:08 am
Thanks, looks like you did well with the band, we're all so different and it makes it hard to tell which would be the best procedure for each of us!
MARCIAM
on 2/24/09 8:34 am - Sayville, NY
I was successful for the first year losing 60 pounds. The 2nd year I struggled losing only 20 pounds. After that all H**ll broke lose and everything went downhill rapidly. I just know that if I could do it over I would have never gone with the band...
RNY on 9/22/08

brandyII
on 2/24/09 9:51 am
Thanks for the info, and hope you continued success.  Seems everyone has a different story and glad yours ended up being a happy one in the end, take care brandyII.

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/09 5:19 am - NJ
I am getting mine out ASAP - I find out tomorrow when, and I will schedule the RNY at the same time.  I have had nothing but reflux the past 3 months and I am done with it.  I have lost a ****ty 22 pounds since June.  

The reason that I have to wait in between is to give everything a chance to heal.

As soon as I have my dates,  I will post them here!

Good luck to you!

Jen
Most Active