Just Curious: What Surgery did you have before your revision

Sheesh S.
on 2/22/09 6:34 pm
Revision on 07/07/14
What surgery did you have before your revision and what do you have now if anything?

Is your revision working for you?

Im thinking about getting my band removed, It hurts, i barf, im not losing weight and i just want it out.  This is just something I am considering.  I have no insurance any more and would be self pay. 

Did your insurance cover a revision? Was it the same insurance you had during your first surgery? If self pay, APROX how much was your cost?
DMS923
on 2/23/09 12:35 am - NY
I had 2 bands - one in 03 and the other in 06 - finally got a revision in 08 to RNY and it was the absolute best thing I ever have done in my life. I really feel it to be the single best thing in my life that I have done.  Insurance paid for my revision.  I forgot the insurance for the first surgery, but the 2nd and third was both Oxford.  I was approved all three times with a max BMI of 40.  You have to know how to submit the papers and have the right things to say. 

I started in 03 at 205 with my first band, went down to 160 only to go back to 191 and about a hundred trips to the doctor and even ER. Finally got revision at 191 and now 3-1/2 months later am down to 150....

Good Luck
Donna (DMS923)
RNY November 5, 2008
Starting Weight: 191 
Current Weight: 140
Goal Weight: 130
jillagin2000
on 2/23/09 6:34 am
I had the band - it worked but then it slipped.  I now have RNY, almost 3 weeks out and back to losing.  So far, so good -- I'm happy.

My insurance, UHC, covered my initial surgery but wouldn't cover my revision simply because they have a rule that states the patient must have 5 years of 40+ BMI - well, the band worked you lunkheads so of course my BMI got down to 28 in the past 5 years.  But insurance companies are looking for anything they can use to deny coverage and apparently they have us, the consumers, over a barrel.  We have no way to hold them to any sort of fair business practices.

So, anyway - I changed my coverage over to the other option my company offers for this year and had absolutely no problem getting approved.

310/285/164/145
Highest/Surgery #1/Current/GOAL

charleston-mom
on 2/24/09 1:16 am
I had the truly evil and ineffective lapband, 2 slips, erosions - ugh.

Had a revision to RNY in August 2007 and am down to 106 pounds.
MARCIAM
on 2/24/09 3:24 am - Sayville, NY
I had a band put in 1/06.  Last Easter I started having constant reflux. My band was emptied but no help. In August I couldn't keep any solid food down and I was on just liquids. On 8/20 I had emergency surgery to remove my band when I couldn't keep any liquids down either. My band not only slipped but was constantly slipping up and down!  I had a revision to RNY on 9/22 and I am thrilled with my revision. You might wabnt to consult a lawyer but you might be able to get the insurance to pay for the removal of the band since it was covered initially... I had to appeal to the New York State Department of Insurance to get approval for the revision. It took time and effort but it was approved...

Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

babsintx
on 2/24/09 4:08 am - GA
Hi,

Band to sleeve here! Started at 334 with band/ lowest band weight was 180. Then my band slipped and prolapsed and I went back up to 242. Now I weigh 168 and still losing, so yes the sleeve works!!

Babs

~~Sami~~ *.
on 2/26/09 11:23 am - Jacksonville, FL
Had a Lap-Band for seven years.  Now have a VSG.

Quality of life is 1000000x better with a VSG; although my weight loss stopped after 4 months/50 pounds.

My insurance did cover (I was self-pay for my Band)... but I still ended up with about $8,000 out of pocket.  :P  For self-pays, you can do a Band removal conversion to a VSG for about $10,000.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active