Constant Plugs For Dr Schlesinger

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/09 6:45 am, edited 2/21/09 6:47 am - Brampton, Canada
As one of the few Canadians on this site I could care less which surgery people revise to and what surgeon they go to in the States.   I had a VBG back in /87 and revision to a lap-band that I have been thrilled with for three years this April.  I've lost over 100% of my excess weight and wish everyone else as much success with whatever surgery type they revise to.

But after reading the earlier DS thread that Diana (proven knowledgable source for DS) replied on regarding Dr. Schlesinger I have to say that I agree there is one hell of a lot of plugs on this board for him.    They mostly all seem like infomercials so I'm just wondering how many of these people work for him or have some other vested interest in constantly touting him as the end all and be all.

I come on this board to offer advice regarding my revision journey not to advertise for specific surgeons.   Anyways maybe I'm just in a bit of a *****y mood but felt like venting so I am.

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/09 11:17 am - AZ
On February 21, 2009 at 2:45 PM Pacific Time, LuvMyBand .. wrote:
As one of the few Canadians on this site I could care less which surgery people revise to and what surgeon they go to in the States.   I had a VBG back in /87 and revision to a lap-band that I have been thrilled with for three years this April.  I've lost over 100% of my excess weight and wish everyone else as much success with whatever surgery type they revise to.

But after reading the earlier DS thread that Diana (proven knowledgable source for DS) replied on regarding Dr. Schlesinger I have to say that I agree there is one hell of a lot of plugs on this board for him.    They mostly all seem like infomercials so I'm just wondering how many of these people work for him or have some other vested interest in constantly touting him as the end all and be all.

I come on this board to offer advice regarding my revision journey not to advertise for specific surgeons.   Anyways maybe I'm just in a bit of a *****y mood but felt like venting so I am.

Excellent post.

Seems to me that if a doctor doesn't do enough business to be able to afford advertising and such, that might be a bit of a warning for patient.  The paid posters, the multiple IDs people have, it's old and annoying after time.

Thank you for writing this.

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/09 11:32 am - Brampton, Canada
Hi MWG, this is just something that has irritated me and that earlier thread regarding DS prompted me to post this.   It just seems that I hear this doc's name constantly, nothing wrong with recommending checking out someone but over and over again is just overkill.

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/09 11:38 am - AZ
On February 21, 2009 at 7:32 PM Pacific Time, LuvMyBand .. wrote:
Hi MWG, this is just something that has irritated me and that earlier thread regarding DS prompted me to post this.   It just seems that I hear this doc's name constantly, nothing wrong with recommending checking out someone but over and over again is just overkill.

Well, I suspect there are many that are sick of it.  The link to your thread is making the rounds!  I've received the same link twice already.

There are a lot of lurkers who don't bother posting because it's a battle to wade through the paid posters babbling and get to the posts that contain real info.

Hopefully soon Dr. S can afford advertising and he won't need the cheaper route he apparently has now.

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/09 12:35 pm - Brampton, Canada
Well I'm usually pretty mild and laid back but a gal has to say what's on her mind or she's liable to turn to emotional eating.
(deactivated member)
on 2/21/09 12:39 pm - AZ
On February 21, 2009 at 8:35 PM Pacific Time, LuvMyBand .. wrote:
Well I'm usually pretty mild and laid back but a gal has to say what's on her mind or she's liable to turn to emotional eating.

Truth is ALWAYS better than emotional eating! ;o)

Btw, your BMI is looking mighty fine!  Congrats to you and your hard work!

JRinAZ
on 2/23/09 2:15 pm - Layton, UT

Dr. Schlesinger, Dr. Schlesinger, Dr. Schlesinger, Dr. Schlesinger!  LOL!  ......  Just checking to see if you could hear me all the way in Canada?!!!! 

So glad you love your band and that it's working for you.  Congratulations!  ..... Just don't mention it as an option for a revision or the very folks you are schmoozing will turn on you in a milisecond.  After all, lapbands do NOT have continued success y'know!!!!  (not my opinion but definitely is the message of the hardcore Pay it Forward crowd).

Going off to do some warm-ups so I can do some great cheerleading on Tuesday :-)
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/09 9:29 pm, edited 2/23/09 9:33 pm - Brampton, Canada
Joyce stop chanting that doctor's name to me!!!!      Canada is closer than you think!

By the way why the heck is it Dr. you know who seems to change practices so often...what's up with that????

Oh I know the band is not beloved by many here.   I think the main problem is that the aftercare for band patients in the States sucks big time.   Here in Canada the reputable band clinics (not all unfortunately) charge between $15,000 - 18,000 for the band including LIFETIME no additional charge fills at their clinic, and if you have any need to have the port, band, etc replaced etc. there is never a charge to the patient.  Everything is warrantied for life.

In the States it seems the patients do not get much of a warranty and have to pay or have their insurance cover fills or any issues, thus many aren't given much support to get to proper restriction.

Anyways I often post here or on the other forums how successful I have done with the band as a revision.     While I appreciate how many here strongly feel the band is Satan itself    I can only speak from my experience.  I certainly respect others who feel differently.  I've seem many friends at support groups do amazing with the RNY & DS too, I just didn't need the extra componet of malabsorption.
(deactivated member)
on 2/28/09 12:41 am - AZ
On February 23, 2009 at 10:15 PM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:

Dr. Schlesinger, Dr. Schlesinger, Dr. Schlesinger, Dr. Schlesinger!  LOL!  ......  Just checking to see if you could hear me all the way in Canada?!!!! 

So glad you love your band and that it's working for you.  Congratulations!  ..... Just don't mention it as an option for a revision or the very folks you are schmoozing will turn on you in a milisecond.  After all, lapbands do NOT have continued success y'know!!!!  (not my opinion but definitely is the message of the hardcore Pay it Forward crowd).

Going off to do some warm-ups so I can do some great cheerleading on Tuesday :-)

Joyce....

The poster you are slam dunking for surgery types previously had VBG.  Some doctors used a mesh material that makes future surgeries requiring a staple line quite impossible.  Adjustable banding is their only option for revision.

To slam dunk her surgery choice isn't going to win you any awards for being the happy peppy perky OH support person.

StacysMom
on 2/23/09 2:29 pm
 Bravo to you for posting this.   I think a lot of people here are sick and tired of seeing this doctor's patients doing BLATANT ADVERTISING for him.   It's OBNOXIOUS the way they go on and on, even to the point of DISSEMINATING MISINFORMATION about the types of surgeries he does.    I think the vested interest they have is keeping him in AZ , as he was supposed to leave in the Fall of 2006, when his previous employer, Barix clinics closed up shop:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/AZ/3187788/Dr-Schlesinger/

He found another position, but now has left that one as well (Umm, 3 jobs in less than 3 years?):

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/AZ/3858189/Dr-Schlesinger-New-Pho ne/

I agree with the poster who thinks this doctor should just take out an ad on OH if he wants exposure here and not depend on his patients to promote him.    Certainly business cannot be THAT bad?   Or can it??

OH really should do something about this.   All the other doctors have to take out paid ads, why are they letting this doctor's patients use the boards to advertise for him and disseminate incorrect information on the types of surgeries he does.
Most Active