Still Thrilled With My Revision Almost Three Years Out And At Goal

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/09 12:10 pm, edited 2/21/09 10:51 pm - Brampton, Canada
Just thought I'd do an overdue update on me here on the revision forum.    I first had a VBG (stomach stapling) back in /87 in Toronto, Canada.   The first two years were great and I went from 260 lbs. down to 113 lbs.    Of course back then we were basically given no aftercare support, told take a daily kid's Flintstone vitamin and don't overeat or it will cause pain.  (Plus my then surgeon later lost his license for several years due to abuse (but that's another story)   so no follow up when I started having trouble.

Well I still managed to keep my weight down but only by dieting after the first three years or so.  Like most other wls patients back then I didn't deal with the emotional reasons I had turned to self medicating with food.    Back then the way the staples were done almost always led to them separating thus causing me to want to overeat again.  I'd start stuffing myself and get the heart attack like pain and have to throw up.  My weight slowly crept up to 160 lbs. and I dieted back down to 113 lbs.

Finally by /96, I had remarried and during 6 mths. of bedrest with the "pregnancy from hell"  I started to pig out from stress and delivered my baby weighing 207 lbs.  By the time /06 came around I felt like a total failure and weighed 251 lbs.    Then I heard from my family doctor about a surgeon who was doing lap-band surgery but in Ontario where I live the only wls covered by our provincial government was RNY & DS.   A few weeks later I decided what the heck I would go see this surgeon and see if he could help me.    I was prepared for him to tell me I was beyond saving and just a loser (not the kind I wanted to be though .)

Instead he said after looking at my past surgery papers I had brought that he would need to run tests but that I was a good candidate for a revision to the band.   The surgery would cost $16,000 but included lifetime fills for no additional charge and if ever I had complications or needed a new band there would be absolutely no additional cost to me as it was all under warranty for life.   It was a lot of money but I decided to go for it with my husband's support and I am so glad I did.     I was banded on April 18th,/06, and weighed 251 lbs. day of surgery and was able to reach my goal weight of 124 lbs. at twenty months out.    Since then I have stayed at or below goal fluctuating between 117.6 lbs. to 124 lbs.

In almost three years I have had no problems, can eat most everything except what I had trouble eating from the VBG (some staples were still intact) such as no more than a small bit of rice, dense meat, etc.   Also I've only thrown up a total of 3 times and being diligent with fills when I've needed them has kept me satisfied with eating a small portion of foods like dessert, etc. that I previously would of binged on.

My advice to others considering a revision is to research all your options, and go for consults with surgeons that are experts at doing revisions and have wonderful aftercare support.  I myself didn't need the extra of malabsorption that the DS or RNY offered but certainly I have met at support groups others who did just as well as myself with these surgeries.   Everyone is different and I strongly believe that there is no one perfect surgery but research the type that fits you best that will offer you maximum results.   Also be realistic and educate yourself on possible complications that can occur with all of the surgeries be they be lap-band, vsg, rny or ds.

Wishing every one success, if I could do it anyone can.  Believe me by the time I had my revision I was like a train wreck waiting to happen and not able to diet more than half a day before derailing.  Now I've gone from a BMI of about 47 to 22 roughly and feel great.  Also I can't emphasize enough the benefit of joining support groups.   I belong to several for people who have had any type of wls and I also started up a support group for bandsters that I facilitate, it really makes a difference!

Also only go with a surgeon who offers extensive aftercare support and has a reputation that is sterling, I was blessed finding a surgeon this time round who is so skilled and amazing in caring for his patients.
Lorie2
on 2/21/09 12:17 pm
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.  I'm also doing a revison from rny to a ds. my surgery is next week. I'm scared and excited all at the same time. I hope things go as well for me.
(deactivated member)
on 2/21/09 12:23 pm - Brampton, Canada
Lorie, that's awesome!   I know several DSers in person including a small number who have been revisions and they are loving their DS!
lalala2
on 2/22/09 1:43 am - Winnetka, CA
Thank you so much for sharing your story.  I, like many here on the board, am in the process of a revision.  Your story helps many of us see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

Lalala2
(deactivated member)
on 2/22/09 1:55 am - Brampton, Canada
Lala2,  thanks for the kind words, you will succeed too!    Let's use what we learned from our first wls journey to get to goal and maintain long term this time round.
JanelG
on 2/27/09 7:04 am - Canada
That's great!!  My goal is a weight and BMI like yours is now...I had VSG done in 2006, and stopped loosing after about 8 months...I have even gained some!  I was considering getting the band over my sleeve, but I read multiple posts on here about how people hated the band, didn't loose weight, etc.  I would love to get a revision close to home for close follow-up and fills, but cost and a low BMI after my sleeve stops me from getting it done here...so looking at Mexico.  I will revisit the lap-band idea...I like the fact that it can be tightened if need be, unlike other WLS where if you stretch it, you're S.O.L!!
(deactivated member)
on 2/27/09 7:58 am - Brampton, Canada
Hi Jane,

The band has been great for me but not for everyone, especially if you don't have aftercare close by and have it done in Mexico.   Is there any chance of you having the DS which is the first half of the VSG?   Please weigh all your options carefully and only go for a revision with an expert surgeon in revising from VSG's.

Best wishes on your journey!
Most Active