Ignor this message

charleston-mom
on 2/24/09 1:22 am
Actually, a lack of restriction is typically NOT a symptom of erosion or slip. It's the opposite, vomiting and being unable to keep food down. The band typically slips lower on the stomach, causing the tissue through the middle to be thicker, smaller opening. I almost died from my lapband. I think it's a truly evil contraption and should be pulled from the market. (Can you tell I hate the lapband - ha ha!). I had to have all my front teeth capped due to vomiting. Could eat very little solid food. Horrible. I am grateful every day for my revision to RNY.
Debba
on 3/10/09 6:02 am - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with
Hi C-M,

I had lapband surgery in Oct 2006.  By Oct 2007 I had lost 70 lbs (with 10 lbs. to go to my NUT's goal weight, 20 lbs. for mine own).  Then all hell broke loose.  First, my gallbladder stopped working.  Had a HIDA scan down - gallbladder had an ejection fraction of 21% - so my surgeon took it out.  I've had horrible reflux issues ever since.  Now, I've always had acid reflux.  Been doing the prilosec, then nexium thing for over 15 years.  My hope was that the weight loss would help me be rid of that mess.  Now, its much worse.  To top it all off, I had a small hiatal hernia which went unnoticed prior to the surgery, and now is really rearing its ugly head.

I had an endo done a few months ago.  Showed the small hiatal hernia, but not much else.  No indication of a slippage, however my gastro doctor did think that the band may be "twisted" but he wasn't that experienced with the band.  Brought the photos to my surgeon who thought the band looked just fine.  He does think that the band is irritating the hernia, which in turn is causing the reflux.  I haven't been able to eat solid food for months.  When the band is empty the reflux is tolerable, but I gained 10 lbs. back, so I had a small fill last month (.6ccs).  I haven't gained any more weight, but the reflux is unbearable.  Several nights a week a wake up choking and gasping for air due to regurgitation. Occasionally I try a little solid protein, but it comes back up.

My surgeon suggested a revision.  At first I opted for a sleeve, because I didn't want my "plumbing" rerouted (reason for the band in the first place), however my insurance company denied it.  I finally decided to go with RNY, and he is in the process of dictating another letter to the insurance company.  He's pretty confident they will approve it.

Am I doing the right thing?  I really don't have that much more to lose, but without some sort of tool I know I will gain my weight back.  I love my band, but I don't know if I can go on with these reflux issues and constant throat irritation and regurgitation.  

Didn't mean to go on like that, but you seem to be very informed and confident about your decision.  I just need a good word, I guess!

Thanks for listening,
Debbie

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/12 8:08 am - AZ
On February 24, 2009 at 9:22 AM Pacific Time, charleston-mom wrote:
Actually, a lack of restriction is typically NOT a symptom of erosion or slip. It's the opposite, vomiting and being unable to keep food down. The band typically slips lower on the stomach, causing the tissue through the middle to be thicker, smaller opening. I almost died from my lapband. I think it's a truly evil contraption and should be pulled from the market. (Can you tell I hate the lapband - ha ha!). I had to have all my front teeth capped due to vomiting. Could eat very little solid food. Horrible. I am grateful every day for my revision to RNY.

CM...

We disagree.  A lack of restriction and weight gain is a big issue for eroded folks.  You can't really compare erosion and slip symptoms, they don't always match up.

When the band erodes into the stomach you can fill it to max capacity and still have zero restriction.  There is usually no pain with it, and weight gain is another indicator.  A port infection... I'm a believer that if someone has a port infection then an endoscopy should follow after the infection is resolved to check for erosion.

A slip is a bit different, it depends on the type and severity of the slip.  If it is a minor slip USUALLY the back of the stomach wall slides up through the back of the band.  The band doesn't change position as much as the stomach does.  If it is a minor slip the symptom can be a loss of restriction as the pouch is merely a bit larger.  A major slip and it's like your stomach is an hourglass but the upper portion of the stomach falls over the side of the band and no food or water can get through.  So symptoms can really vary depending upon the type of slip and severity of slip.

l agree with you that the band is dangerous... but again, my disclaimer... I think it is far more doable for a revision from bypass to band.

starhomes
on 2/1/10 3:43 pm
Hi Charleston mom commmented on the fact that she once had a lap band and had a revision to RNY? I am looking to have my lapband removed and wanted gastric bypass but from everything Im reading it looks like that since I have had the lap band my only choice of revision is the Mini gastric bypass. Is this correct or is there still an option to do gastric bypass and has anyone else had this experience? Thanks.
cam1096
on 6/1/10 6:42 am
Hi.  I know its been over a year since you posted this, but I have a question.  My husband had the lapband surgery done three years ago.  He has vomitted almost every day since he's had it done.  He recently had a fill and he couldn't even keep a sip of coffee down....he immediately ran to the restroom.  I also told him that the vomitting is not good for his teeth either, what were the symptoms in which it affected your teeth?
I feel this has been like playing Russian Roulette.
Thanks in advance for your response.
(deactivated member)
on 5/25/13 10:07 am
On February 24, 2009 at 9:22 AM Pacific Time, charleston-mom wrote:

I disagree with you on one point.  The #1 symptom of a slip is an inability to eat, vomiting, etc.  But the #1 symptom for erosion is an ability to eat more and weight gain.  Most slips the back of the stomach slides up through the band leaving a floppy pouch hanging over the band (in severe slips).

With erosion the band ends up on the inside of the stomach and the part that is on the inside ... the stomach acid eats the plastic 'bubble' portion that holds the saline thus... saline leaks out and there is no restriction at all.

But I completely and totally agree with you that the damn thing should be removed from the market.  It's nothing short of dangerous.  Most of the people that just love their band and would do it all over again are newbies, less than 2 years.  Once people have time to live with it, they hate it.

Did you know Allergan is trying to sell off the band portion of their company?  The poor dears aren't earning enough millions anymore.  Apparently people know how bad it is and people in general don't want them anymore.

melati
on 2/24/09 8:48 pm, edited 2/24/09 8:50 pm - Miami, FL
Everyone I have interviewed said the same thing about their erosion--sudden loss of restriction which makes sense since the band is sitting inside of the stomach.

This was usually the ONLY symtom for them. Constant vomiting usually indicates a slip.

Maybe your symtoms were different; however;I am truly not interested in your agenda to convince the world that the band is an "evil contraption."
charleston-mom
on 2/25/09 12:01 am, edited 2/25/09 2:34 am
Wow - a tad defensive, aren't you? No need to throw around words like "agenda" because you're uncomfortable with hearing about negative experiences with lapband.

My experience with lapband is just as valid as yours, maybe more since I had mine a lot longer than you have. I do consider it a really really bad surgery and have every right to tell people that it is dangerous in my opinion. People on the revision forum are asking for both sides of the story and want to hear experiences with revisions.

If you like your lapband - great. You're only a few years out. Time will tell. If it's an "agenda" to warn people what happened to me, you're welcome to block me or just not read it. However, giving people incorrect medical information as to the symptoms involved in an erosion and slip is not appropriate and could be dangerous. I had full erosion into the stomach wall and did not have a lack of restriction. You are only 5 years out from lapband. Research and statistics and recent studies have shown increasing problems with the bands 8-10 years out. I hope you do well with yours and don't have a problem.

Frankly, it makes no difference to me if "you are not interested in my experience with lapband" as you say. People who are having trouble with them (and, knock on wood, you may be one of them in the future just like I was) may be interested and those are the people I'm trying to reach. This is a public forum and I have every right to warn people and tell my experience with the lapband and with the revision. It's a surgical revision forum. Not quite sure why you are on it, but that's neither here nor there. I think people do come to this section of the forum to get information from people who have had difficulties with their original surgery, for whatever reason, and what to hear both sides of the story. Yours is valid, if good, and mine also is every bit as valid.

I do find it sad that some people with lapband who are very much afraid to hear that they may experience difficulties with their bands years down the road (and are vocal at flaming those that have had trouble), and difficulties that are far worse than lack of weight loss. I'm not sure why they feel so threatened, but I do get flamed every time I say what happened to me or that I feel the band is dangerous.

Of course not everyone will have a problem and some people do great with lapband (and I'm very happy for them), but I was close to death with mine and came very close to orphaning my children.

People don't always hear the downside (the other side) of lapband surgery. There is a lot of money that goes into advertising it as "safe." I think people need to realize that it can be very dangerous when it does go wrong. If you say that makes me have an "agenda," because people ask about it and I tell them, that's kind of silly. Do you have an agenda for promoting it? Nope - it's your opinion and your experience. I'm trying to warn people that it can be extremely dangerous and life-threatening when it goes wrong. People do deserve to hear both sides of whatever surgery they are considering so that they can make informed decisions. While the downsides to RNY surgery are well-known, a lot of people don't realize the risks of lapband surgery. While the fact that it doesn't work as well is well-known in surgical and research circles, the general public is not as aware as they need to be of the dangers that can be associated with severe complications long-term.
mywritingchair
on 10/16/11 9:53 am - OK
 I have to agree with Charleston-mom, I have had my band in since Mar of 08, I have had very little weightloss, like 25 pounds, then after being banded I had a lot of other health issues requiring gallbladder removal, then hysterectomy, THEN serious surgical umbilical hernia and bowel repair. NOW, my band has eroded into my stomach and I am again facing surgery! I would NEVER have done this had I known the rate of erosion was so high, oh, and my husband had it too, he has gained 40 pounds....and he exercises like crazy! My belly has always hurt, I have thrown up constantly, they could never get adjustment right. I followed every rule,kept all appointments and cant even drink milk or eat yogurt in the mornings without puking it back up. I am terrfied of another surgery but now have absolutely no choice. I am 5'6 and weigh 217 right now. I promise you from now on, I will walk, watch the fat and fast food and stop relying on some quick fix to keep me from eating too much. It was a lazy choice for me instead of working at losing weight. I HATE the band, hate being in constant pain in my upper left side and having a buldging port next my belly button. I loved it the first year, even had hope the second year, swore I'd go to my grave with this stupid rubber band in me, now, I will tell you straight, DANGEROUS, and I will bet that in 5 years or more, it will be pulled from the market, I will be waiting in line for that lawsuit!!! HATE IT!! But best of luck to those of you that have it, I wish you well
jconfusion
on 7/20/12 10:18 am - hillsdale, MI
well i got my realize band done in may and as it stands ive lost near 50 pounds..I have multiple sclerosis so its hard to get out and exersize I was in serious danger of being diabetic but after my surgery i stuck to the the baractic diet and im going in for my third fill the 30th of this month and i loose 10 pounds per fill 100 more pounds to go i am scared about the errossion i looked it up before surgery and i called my insurance and they said they would allow an emergancy gastric bypass surgery if errossion occured
Most Active