Is a revision effective???

mew6495
on 2/27/09 11:26 am - MI
 Every insurance company has slightly different requirements it will also depend on your policy.  My insurance, BCBS MI, said that the revision had to be medically necessary.  They gave me a list of 4 requirements that had to be met.  My BMI was below 35.  They would not give me prior approval so I had to make a choice of going into it knowing I may be held responsible for the cost.  Luckily for me, they ended up covering.  I will also depend on how your doctor bills it.

I would suggest that you call your insurance company or visit their web site and see what they list as their requirements or if they cover revisions.  

If you want more specific answers or have any further questions please feel free to pm me.

LosingSally
on 2/18/09 10:26 am
I recently read a paper ( will look for it) that says it's according to WHY your first surgery didn't work.
If it's failure to comply, a second may or may not help. It's it's from lap band to a malabsorptive surgery, it has more chance of being effective. If it's overeating, and eating high levels of carbs causing weight gain, or lack of weight loss, no surgery may help unless the behavior is changed.
If  it's mechanical failure, like a staple line failure, then a revision or repair may help. If it's stoma enlargement due to overfilling a pouch (with RNY) on a daily basis until the pouch and stoma are enlarged, then a revision or repair may help, except that eating habits will have to change. An excess of high calorie carbs will hinder weight loss and cause weight gain for most people, no matter what surgery.
If you feel your surgery failed, and you have been honest with yourself on how you complied with your post-op plan, and need to lose more weight or are regaining a lot, then see a surgeon. There may be help for you. Don't give up too soon! 
LisaAnn
on 2/18/09 2:21 pm - WA
This is all very helpful, Thanks so much.

The reason my surgery failed is many:

1) Restrictive only, no malabsorbtion
2) Got pregnant and gained weight
3) bad habits for sure! Eating tons of sweets
4) Able to eat large amounts now

So I thought if I get the RNY or DS (Preferably DS, but most likely RNY due to insurance), I hope to have:

1) Malabsorbtion
2) I know I wont get pregnant again!
3) Dumping syndrome (hopefully) to curb my sweet intake
4) Learned the HARD way that I can out eat my surgery, and to follow the rules for life, not just push the limits a little further each day! Hoping the new revision will give me the restriction back, and malabsorbtion so that I can be successful.

Thanks!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Guate Wife
on 2/21/09 1:48 am - Grand Rapids, MI
I have a virgin DS, and couldn't be more pleased with my progress or my post-op life.  I've seen so many people be successful with a revision from a VBG, LB, VSG, or RnY to DS, and are so happy that they made the choice.

I only wanted to comment on a couple things you said:

You can't count on dumping.  Really, going into a RnY, I hear so many people at support meetings hoping for dumping to force them to 'get right with food'.  I think about 40% of RnYers dump, and I think that is on sugar and/or high fat, so the chance of you dumping to control your sugar intake isn't really that great.

The think about the DS is that you CAN eat large amounts of food.  Maybe not all in one sitting, but what I can pack in during a day, and still lose, simply amazes me.  This certainly isn't every day, but we all have our ups & downs, and the DS is the most forgiving when it comes to this.  The malabsorption you will get with a RnY simply doesn't even come close to that of a DS, and that is why long-term statistics show that the DS is superior at helping you to KEEP the weight off.  And, the 'rules' of the DS are so simple:  get at least 100g of protein in a day, a minimum of 64oz of hydration, and supplement based upon your labs.

I eat sugar & carbs daily.  Maybe if I didn't I would lose faster, but I am more than pleased with my progress, and I simply don't deny myself -- of anything.  I love what the DS has given me -- a normal life.

If you haven't already, check out:  DSfacts.com

Best of luck to you on your journey!

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

sgotthardt
on 2/25/09 12:32 pm - Garnerville, NY
Thank you for the great web site. Extensive and informative. I think the DS is the way to go.
Sandy
nursekrista35
on 2/19/09 9:58 am - louisville, OH
i to had vbg 13 years ago and had lots of problems with it non stop vomiting ect.. had rny almost 2 years ago and lost way below my goal weight. i didnt loose slower or faster than anyone else. my surgery was a open rny though because it was a revision. i wish i would of had done this sooner it was the best thing ever. this surgery forces u to eat better i am greatful i do get dumping cuz it reminds me why i got fat in the first place. u still have to eat right and excersize no matter what surgery u choose.i just had lbl and tt and went from a size 24 to a size 2 and if i did it anyone can. best of luck to you!
isaiah54mom
on 2/20/09 7:07 am - bartlesville, OK
I had a VBG 20 years ago. I had my revision to the DS on 1/29/09. I will have to get back at you but I am praying this is the answer. I am having some issues right now but I am holding on and fighting back.  I pray you find  an answer you can live with.
Peace Mz JOJO

HW/ SW/CW/GW
427+/427/148/150

DMS923
on 2/23/09 12:41 am - NY
I went from Band to RNY.  Lost 40 lbs in 3-1/2 months since my revision.  I am loosing now about 1 lb a week which my surgeon is thrilled with, since I am on the lighter side and have 25 lbs to hit goal of 125 lbs.

Donna (DMS923)
RNY November 5, 2008
Starting Weight: 191 
Current Weight: 140
Goal Weight: 130
JustMe70
on 2/23/09 8:18 am
I had gastric bypass in 2000 what I believe is the ERNY not sure all those initials confuse me.  I had a laporscopic gastric bypass and have regained 100%.  I went back to my original surgeon and was basically turned away but have since found a surgeon that was willing to at least meet with me and do some tests.  I know I have a lot of responsibility in this because once I started being hungry all of the time I should have been more proactive in dealing with it instead of my old habits of hiding from it.   Anyway it was discovered that my staple line was not correct and my pouch was left 6 times larger than it should have been and I have the stretching where the intestine meets the pouch so as it was explained to me my food basically washes right through and that is why I feel hungry all of the time. 

Stomaphyx was recommended by the new surgeon but I have refused that am begining the process of a full revision. 

I would love to hear from somebody that might have gone through what I have gone through or something similar. 

My eating habits are out of whack I am so depressed and disgusted with this and myself I cannot get myself under control.  I did join a gym and I am working out at least 4 days a week but the food choice stuff has been so hard lately. 
charleston-mom
on 2/24/09 1:15 am
I had a revision from lapband to RNY and am currently 106 pounds. Oh my yes - it's effective!!!!! I wish I had picked RNY in the first place and had all those years back as thin as I am now! I lost just as fast as firm time RNY'ers. There is no comparison between the two surgeries, none at all.
Most Active