Is a revision effective???

LisaAnn
on 2/17/09 1:36 pm - WA
I have been researching and have sadly been finding out that a revision is not likely to have the same loss as a new surgery would.

I am just wanting to hear of those with revisions and to hear how the loss went the second time around. Did anyone reach goal with the second surgery, where they could not with the first?

I currently have the VBG and am looking into getting it revised to RNY.

I weight 220 and would like to end up at 125-145. Is this likely or not with a revision to RNY??

Thanks for your input. I know we are all different, i just want to hear how it went for you.

Thanks!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Monique H.
on 2/18/09 12:48 am
I just had a revision done to my rny making me a distal on Jan 13th so I don't know anything about making it to goal, but I have lost 26 pounds since then. I'll try to keep you posted. I do see on here a couple people who had revisions to erny who have passed their goal. Hopefully they'll jump in here soon.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
MsDeniseinPA
on 2/18/09 2:39 am - PA
I had a revision to RNY from VBG on 12/05/2008.  I have lost 30 lbs so far (haven't weighed myself this week yet, so it might be more).  It's definitely slower and a little discouraging when I compare myself to others who had an original RNY in  December, but I am losing.

good luck with your decision.
babsintx
on 2/18/09 3:50 am - GA
Hi,

I can't speak for others, but I had a lapband to sleeve revision and I am 8 pounds from goal. I started with a band in 2003, lost 155 pounds, regained 62 and now I weight less than I ever weighed even with my lowest band weight. Stats with band: 334 start/lowest weight: 180. Start weight sleeve: 242/present weight: 168.5. My goal is to get to 159-160. The last 10 lbs are difficult because I have gotten somewhat complacent.

Babs

Deb *.
on 2/18/09 3:53 am
I had a revision from VBG to RNY on 3/22/07.  I was 514lbs before the revision and today am at 256.5, a loss of 257.5lbs in almost 2 years.  I would definitely say it has been incredibly successful for me.    I'm still losing slowly and just went through the 1st round of plastics (panniculectomy). 

With my VBG I lost about 100ish lbs, my lowest was somewhere between 270-260 and I kept it off for about 4 years.

Debbi

PekinSal
on 2/18/09 5:06 am - UK
I think revisions generally seem to lose slower, particularly if the first time round you lost quite a bit at a fast rate. You might not get that 'honeymoon' first couple of months where you lose a lot without really trying, because you already did that first time round!

In addition you're probably classed as a 'lightweight' (check out the lightweights board by the way) and we don't have the dramatic early weightloss of our heavier brothers and sisters. Percentage wise we get there just as fast though.

But having said that I lost 20 pounds in two years with the band, compared to 90 pounds in 10 months with the DS, so i'm not complaining.

DS revision from failed lapband

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/09 6:46 am - Phx, AZ

My initial RNY was 2/2005.  I just had an ERNY Nov 21, 2008.  When I began looking into the revision, I had gained 20 lbs over the previous year and was having blood sugar issues.

Since the revision, almost 3 months ago, I have lost 33 lbs and am 4 pounds from my goal.  I know I will still continue to lose over the next 6-9 months.  I started out in '05 at 282 (but had been 312)... and am currently 149. 

These 3 months of weightloss are much more significantly noticable than the 1st... because I was not as overweight as the 1st time around. 
I think the revision, for me, was the answer.  But that is my own opinion.

sgotthardt
on 2/19/09 9:08 am - Garnerville, NY
Forgive my question but, what does ERNY stand for?
I'm researching which revision would be best for me.
Thanks
mew6495
on 2/25/09 9:37 am - MI
Extended RNY.  It is where they shorten y our common channel.  Usually between 50 and 100 cm.

sgotthardt
on 2/25/09 12:28 pm - Garnerville, NY
Thanks for the reply!!
Is this revision covered by insurance if your BMI is 30? Or is it covered by insurance if the failure is causing medical problems or is a result of a mechanical failure?
Sorry so many questions, but I need to know before I can make a decision.
Sandy
Most Active