Question about revisions (lapband)

nickiejaclyn
on 2/16/09 7:28 am
 So i've pretty much decided that after a year of having my lapband and not having any good results from it, i want it out.  The cliff notes version of it is i got in in Jan. 08, did good from three months until i got 3cc of fill in, and kept on getting really stuck on everything, i was following the rules and all that jazz, then went back got about half of it out, and still kept on getting stuck.  This is the time where i lost most of my weight bc i couldnt eat anything soild w/o getting stuck.  So went back and got the majority of the fill out.  I think right now i am at like .75cc. so that was like may, so from may till maybe beginning of october, i was always +- 5lbs.  but since then i've been having the same problems where i kept on getting stuck no matter what i do or eat i get stuck.  I even got stuck on yogurt the other day.  I just dont know what I am doing or not doing.  I know i gotta go to the drs and im gonna call tomorrow and get an app.  

So long story short I was wondering what other peoples dr's had them do to get thier band taken out.  I've decided that I dont want to get another surgery I just want it out.  Also I was wondering if anyone else had thier band just taken out and did revise to another surgery.  
brandyII
on 2/16/09 9:34 am, edited 2/16/09 9:35 am
Hi nickij,

I got my lapband in 8/07 and gained back the weight and never lost and also had some reflux problems.  I decided along with my surgeon to remove it and that was done 10/08.  At the time I was so disgusted with the whole WLS in general I decided not to revise and would live my life as it were.

My daughter had RNY in 5/08 and has since lost over 140 lbs to date.  I'm now thinking of revision to RNY.  I didn't want to rush into anything and really wasn't ready and secure about another surgery after "failing" at the lap band.  It's a personal decision so I wish you the best of luck and health with whatever you decide, it's your life afterall.  brandy11
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

nickiejaclyn
on 2/16/09 9:38 am
 Thanks! I have a few questions if thats ok? lol 
how does your stomach feel after the band was taken out? i heard people have had a "phaontom band" like at times they felt like they still had restriction.  Also was there anything wrong with the band like a slip or something? i just dont want to go to my dr and them be like there needs to be a reason why it has to be taken out. i hope im making sense, i just dont want go be stuck with this thing lol.  Thanks again for the info!
brandyII
on 2/16/09 9:57 am
No prob!

I always felt a bit too tight when I was banded.  I was even unfilled for a month prior to the removal and still felt the restriction, more so than when I was first banded.  At first it was a weird feeling because you would eat or drink and you could practically hear it going down your stomach because you weren't used to it traveling so far when you were banded.  I did have some issues with acid reflux and had an endoscopy done because I kept getting chest pains but it really wasn't that bad.  Sometimes my esophagus feels tighter and somethings are still more difficult to eat but it's not nearly as difficult as it was banded.  Plus at first you stomach has shrunk and so you fill up faster when you eat so you think this is great but eventually you can put more in your stomach and it stretches to what it was before.  At first when they removed the band I lost weight because I could eat healthier harder to eat foods again but now I'm starting to put it back on and am almost at my prebanded weight.  So really it was a combo of it not effective as a WL tool for me and I was also in the hospital for the chest pains due to the acid reflux which seemed to speed up the removal of the band.  Also due to the fact I was eating around the band my diabetes II got worse and I also developed HBP and high cholesterol so that was partly why I was able to have it removed and covered by insurance.  The removal was much easier and recovery much quicker also.  I have a top surgeon it was just not the right tool for me.  Good luck brandy11.

PekinSal
on 2/17/09 3:18 am - UK
I had the band taken out, waited 4 months and then had the DS. I knew I needed another surgery because the band hadn't achieved much and once it came out I instantly put 10 pounds on! 

DS, RNY and the sleeve are all very different from the band, so don't let the band being rubbish for you put you off forever. In the end I needed to lose weight to be healthy so I didn't have the choice really of having nothing.

It felt a bit odd at first without the band - you still have restriction (from the band and the trauma of taking it out) for about a week after removal, then its back to pre-op normal (sadly!) 

DS revision from failed lapband

brandyII
on 2/17/09 4:29 am
PekinSal,

Hi I know I've talked to you about this before a long time ago.  I suppose I was too unsure that any WLS would help me and now I'm about 4 months post band removal where I'm wanting to try a new proceedure.  I can't get the DS in my area but I can get the RNY.  What do you think is the big difference in why the DS is helping you whereas the band didn't.  Whenever you get a chance, thanks brandyII.

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/09 11:59 pm - AZ
On February 16, 2009 at 3:28 PM Pacific Time, nickiejaclyn wrote:
 So i've pretty much decided that after a year of having my lapband and not having any good results from it, i want it out.  The cliff notes version of it is i got in in Jan. 08, did good from three months until i got 3cc of fill in, and kept on getting really stuck on everything, i was following the rules and all that jazz, then went back got about half of it out, and still kept on getting stuck.  This is the time where i lost most of my weight bc i couldnt eat anything soild w/o getting stuck.  So went back and got the majority of the fill out.  I think right now i am at like .75cc. so that was like may, so from may till maybe beginning of october, i was always +- 5lbs.  but since then i've been having the same problems where i kept on getting stuck no matter what i do or eat i get stuck.  I even got stuck on yogurt the other day.  I just dont know what I am doing or not doing.  I know i gotta go to the drs and im gonna call tomorrow and get an app.  

So long story short I was wondering what other peoples dr's had them do to get thier band taken out.  I've decided that I dont want to get another surgery I just want it out.  Also I was wondering if anyone else had thier band just taken out and did revise to another surgery.  

I hated the band too.

I was at goal when I revised to a sleeve and I would only have the band removed if I could revise to another procedure.  Had i not revised I would have regained everything and that just wasn't an option.

Don't let the band scare you away from WLS, the band sucks... it doesn't represent a good WLS type.  I do know how you feel but remember, you've been burned by the band and VSG is like having a band that actually works without the puking, sliming, foaming, and getting stuck.

MsMarcee
on 2/20/09 1:47 am - Powhatan, VA
I just had my band removed last Monday and had a revision to gastric bypass. I had a lot of reflux and not so much luck with the band. It's not been quite 2 weeks, but I'm glad with my deicision...it was right for me. I have lost a total of 18 pounds in less than 2 weeks and although I developed pnuemonia in the hospital and have had a slow recovery, just seeing some of the weight come off has been so encouraging and 2 years of feeling like a failure. Do your research and remember you can only chose what will work for you.
Good luck

- Marcee
204/123/112
Surgery/Current/Goal

sandysmith1984
on 2/22/09 2:58 pm - Harker Heights, TX
I was wondering if they did the removal of the band and the revision with only one surgery.  I think that is what I am reading in your post?  How did you "convince" your surgeon to do the revision?  I am really starting to hate my band and although I have lost quite a bit it has been on my own or from lack of being able to eat.  I am so sick of fills and unfills!
(deactivated member)
on 2/20/09 2:06 am - NJ
OMG - this is me too!  I am going to get my band drained (again) today.  My reflux has just gotten worse since being banded in June.  Yet a close friend of mine's reflux resolved as soon as she was banded.

I have lost a ****ty 22 pounds since June and have been suffering terribly with reflux to boot.  I want a revision too.  Going to discuss this with my surgeon today.

I am glad I am not the only one.  

Jen
Most Active