What are my options?

Incredible S.
on 2/15/09 9:44 am - Northern, IL
I had RYN 11/09/04. Was 330 got down to 200 at lowest and have been around 220 for the last 3 years. MY doctor is MIA and his bariatric clinic is gone. They went bankrupt shortly after my surgery. I have a BMI of 40. I have Blue Cross Insurance. Will they cover any procedures? StomaphyX is something I recently learned about. What else would help me? Thanks for your help!!
(deactivated member)
on 2/15/09 11:19 pm - Togo
the stomaphyx is still considered 'experimental' and insurances generally will not pay for it.

i see on the forum here when i looked at bariatric doctors that many take blue cross.

your bmi is in a good range to be eligible for wls. do you have co-morbidities? high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, etc?

i was considered an excellent candidate for the stomaphyx because the staples in my rny came out. however, i just recently had a revision and i did not choose anymore of those wls with malabsorption issues. instead i had a lap band over the rny done. it is working very well. i am losing wonderfully and the post op diet is easy to follow. 

Incredible S.
on 2/15/09 11:58 pm - Northern, IL
So a lap band is an option after RYN? I was wondering all my options.
Lorie2
on 2/16/09 3:34 am
My story is just like yours. I had rny in 2003 and gained back 50 pounds.  I'm doing a revision to Duodenal Switch. MY surgery is Feb. 24. Look at all your options. Check out the surgery board for duodenal switch, lots of info there.  I also checked on stomaphyx. It didn't really work for too many people and insurance won't pay  for that.
PekinSal
on 2/16/09 5:30 am - UK
Welcome to the Board!

Your choices are:

- having what you've got adjusted - stoma reduction and/or more malabsorbtion (proximal to distal, or distal to extended), pouch resizing
- band over RNY to reduce pouch capacity (if that's why it isn't working for you)
- reversal of your RNY and conversion to DS

Which one you pick might depend on why your RNY has stopped working (so you might need scans and tests to find that out) and whether technically any of the solutions above are possible. But don't despair, most people have more than one option and you aren't alone here.

You need to find a good revision surgeon and discuss your options (and search around the RNY and DS boards and see what people think)

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Most Active