Stuck in a plateau and can't get out

Heidineub
on 2/13/09 6:20 am
I had my revision surgery June 6, 2008. Eight months have passed and I've lost 60 pounds. While I'm grateful for the loss that I've had, I've been stuck for two months with no weight loss. I'm working with a nutritionist/dietician, I work out one hour every day at a gym, I'm trying everything and nothing is working. Today when I got on the scale I found I gained a pound. I'm so depressed and discouraged. Can anyone relate?
(deactivated member)
on 2/13/09 2:37 pm, edited 2/13/09 2:40 pm - Togo
I am a big believer in swimming. all kinds. lap swimming, water aerobics, the ocean, etc. it is a great activity and a big help to weight loss. i know you work out in a gym an hour a day, but gym workouts are not as good as swimming, i beleive. diet and swimming is a wonderful combination and will get your weight loss moving again. 

let me add though, that a 60 pound loss in 6 months is quite substantial and your body may have reached a point where it needed to slow down and catch up with itself.

Heidineub
on 2/15/09 10:57 am
Thank you for the suggestion about swimming. The gym I belong to has a pool. I appreciate your thoughts.
PekinSal
on 2/14/09 1:31 am - UK
Could you remind us what revision you had done for your RNY - I can't tell from your profile. I can tell you the half dozen odd things DSers do to break stalls, but these may or may not be useful depending on what you've now got!

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Heidineub
on 2/15/09 11:01 am

My first surgery was a "traditional" open RNY. The revision was also performed open and the goal was to create malabsorbtion by making the connection lower. So I think this is called a distal RNY. The revision also corrected some problems from the previous surgery.

PekinSal
on 2/16/09 5:07 am - UK
Ah right. Most RNYs only have a little bit of intestinal bypass, and the results you get are mostly from having restricted capacity for food. That is the 'proximal' bypass, compared to the 'distal' bypass that you might have now. The distal gives you a bit more malabsorbtion, and the 'extended' RNY gives you the most (and is closest to the DS).

The things that you aren't absorbing fully are probably protein and fat. So the best idea is to take advantage of this and make most of your diet protein and fat. On the other hand you (and everyone else) still absorbs most of the carbs you eat, specially all the sugar. So it is best to avoid these sorts of food.

Nutritionists don't always 'get' the malabsorbtion thing, and will tell you to eat a balanced diet. But we don't have balanced insides anymore, and have to work the best with what we've got. So DSers for example eat a lot of protein (partly to stay healthy) and plenty of fat (because it goes right through them undigested) but try to keep their carbs below 50g a day when they are trying to lose. I realise you won't have identical insides to DSers but it might be worth looking at the balance of what you're eating at the moment as a starting point.

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Most Active