RNY Revision Questions Dr. Overcash/Hoddinott

Regina Ping
on 2/13/09 1:23 am - Vero Beach, FL
I had my RNY in November 2006.  I am looking into having a revision to a DS but finding a surgeon in Florda is about impossible, per other message boards.  Do I really need a DS revision or just a revision on the RNY?  I'm not really clear on all the choices out there but want to have a good surgeon who knows what is best.  There is a Dr. Hoddinott in Ocala along with Dr. Overcash, has anyone heard of them?

Regina
PekinSal
on 2/14/09 1:39 am - UK
Check on the DS board or on duodenalswitch.com for doctors who can actually do a RNY to DS revision - there aren't many of them around in the world, never mind Florida! You  might not choose DS but at least talk to someone who won't talk it down because they technically don't know how to do it.

My surgeon does original and revisions from everything to everything else, and I felt like we were making an informed choice and picking the best thing - not having it working first time round makes you so nervous of getting it wrong twice.

Your main question is whether you need malabsorbtion to lose the weight and keep it off. I'd not been succesful with just a restrictive surgery (which your RNY mostly is too) so the DS was the better choice. Extended RNY is another choice for you, but it depends on your lifestyle - DS stomachs are bigger than RNY pouches so that we can get in all the protein we need.

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Regina Ping
on 2/14/09 9:49 am - Vero Beach, FL
Very interesting information.  Thank you very much.  I am still in the beginning process of choosing to have a DS done.  Your info will go in my file of info I have started.  Thanks again.  Regina
Most Active