Vitamin D Question

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/09 7:47 am, edited 2/16/09 7:49 am - Togo

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/09 10:31 am, edited 2/16/09 7:47 am - Togo

Deanne K.
on 2/16/09 5:03 am - Tucson, AZ
I have started on the dry vitamin D.  I am supplementing 10,000 iu a day for 5 days a week.  I still haven't found my answer to the medication issue, but my PCP told me not to take any vitamins with my regular medications, so I guess, it answers my question.  I know I was concerned mostly with thyroid meds and I know you can't take calcium or iron, but what I didn't catch was the calcium has D in it.  It finally hit me today reading an article that someone sent me on men and osteoporosis.  Price wise, I am finding a couple of vendors and trying to pick the best prices is sometimes a challenge as dosages are not the same, but I am looking at that and the average cost per pill.  So thanks for all your input and if you have any other thougths, please let me know.
fracturedfairysp
on 2/19/09 10:54 am

I'm peggy, OS 2/03, 250, lost over 70 and gained some-at 199 now.  I think part of the wt. gain's been because my hunger's unmanagable from lack of protein and vitamin absorption.
Could you explain the dry vitamins and where do you get them?  I'm suffering from (severe chronic pain) osteoporosis now, had a goiter last year and levels of vit.D even w/ prescription is below 50% after 8 mthns on it. 
Thanks
Deanne K.
on 2/19/09 11:07 am - Tucson, AZ
You can order from Vitalady, Bariatric Advantage, I also found at New-Life health food store,but in smaller dosages.  The dry vitamins are more readily absorable.  You might want to do the same dosage as your prescription.  Why type of surgery did you have?  Is it a malabsorptive surgery?  If it's this low, I would look into switching the type of vitamin.
(deactivated member)
on 3/16/09 1:32 am
Hopefully your physician will give you input on dosages needed. Bariatric Advantage has a chewable tablet called ADEK, whcih has vitamins A, D, E and K in one pill. MOst likely will need extra D if yours is already low. People who have not even had WLS are sufffering from low vitamin D levels in the US and WLS was what brought it to the attention of physicians.

Be very careful who you are seeking vitamin recommendations from. Not all vendors have any sort of background that warrants them giving advice and being a WLS patients does not make one an expert. 

Vitamin D interferes with the absorption of Verapamil (calcium channel blcoker for heart); Estrogen replacements increase vitamin d levels; Drugs that interfere with absorption, metabolism or utilization of Vitamin D are:
Cimetidine, anticonvulsants, orlistat, bile acid sequesterants, corticosteroids and sunscreen.
(This information was taken directly from the book titled: MICRONUTRITION for the Weight Loss Surgery Patient by Dr. Jacqueline Jacques, 2006, Matrix medical Communications)

Cathi Roskind
Deanne K.
on 3/16/09 2:01 am - Tucson, AZ
Cathi,
Thank you so much for your reply.  I really appreciate it.

I have been getting the Bariatric Advantage with the extra ADEK and it evidently is not enough.  I have ventured out to the health food store and go some while I also  ordered some from Vita Lady. 

I really appreciate you telling me about the medications that interfere, it does help.  I have been on a corticosterioid recently, but luckily I don't take this or any of the others regularly.
Deanne
(deactivated member)
on 3/16/09 2:18 am - AZ
On March 16, 2009 at 8:32 AM Pacific Time, BariatricRN wrote:
Hopefully your physician will give you input on dosages needed. Bariatric Advantage has a chewable tablet called ADEK, whcih has vitamins A, D, E and K in one pill. MOst likely will need extra D if yours is already low. People who have not even had WLS are sufffering from low vitamin D levels in the US and WLS was what brought it to the attention of physicians.

Be very careful who you are seeking vitamin recommendations from. Not all vendors have any sort of background that warrants them giving advice and being a WLS patients does not make one an expert. 

Vitamin D interferes with the absorption of Verapamil (calcium channel blcoker for heart); Estrogen replacements increase vitamin d levels; Drugs that interfere with absorption, metabolism or utilization of Vitamin D are:
Cimetidine, anticonvulsants, orlistat, bile acid sequesterants, corticosteroids and sunscreen.
(This information was taken directly from the book titled: MICRONUTRITION for the Weight Loss Surgery Patient by Dr. Jacqueline Jacques, 2006, Matrix medical Communications)

Cathi Roskind

Vitalady is cool, she knows what she is talking about.  She keeps up on all the studies and knows quite well what she is doing.

I agree with you about getting nutrition advice from just anyone, but Vitalady can quote study after study and she does keep up on all the latest info.

Most Active